Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Unauthorised ECU Modifications and Warranty Claims  (Read 26734 times)

Offline BigMike

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800XC
Re: Unauthorised ECU Modifications and Warranty Claims
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 11:53:30 AM »
I think that's what wheeler was referring to re the closed loop / open loop thing on the K&N filter thread. From what he said, my understanding of it (now) is that on part throttle there might be a difference but on full throttle when you would expect there to be a bigger difference, there isn't because the ECU is not adaptive at full throttle, it just uses the map information - not the new data from the sensors.

What I don't understand though with that is that if you are riding at altitude at full throttle, if the ecu cant adapt then you're going to have an issue due to lack of oxygen in the air yet the same amount of fuel going through.  I'm going to talk to the dealer about it next time I go in.

Offline thud

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: triumph sp trip
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2012, 12:12:59 PM »
Thanks Mike, it is all a bit confusing at the moment, I will look forward to your dealer comments :031:

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, 08:33:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by thud [+]
but if the exhaust system is freer flowing then the gases would flow faster therefore the mixture would change, or not?

Not.............the concentration of gases and unburnt fuel doesn't change, just the rate at which it passes over the sensor, as long as it's still able to read it, there should be no diff  :028:
Now available in "Batman"

Offline DeanRider

• Tiger Member
  • TuneECU Freeware Rocks!
  • Bike: 2006 Tiger 955i
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2012, 08:35:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
Not.............the concentration of gases and unburnt fuel doesn't change, just the rate at which it passes over the sensor, as long as it's still able to read it, there should be no diff  :028:

:462:

The so-called ability of a EFI tune to self-adapt following the installation of a performance pipe is an often quoted myth that has become almost gospel among many bikers! Ordinarily, the fueling must be adjusted, either by the installation of a suitable factory-developed tune by the Triumph dealer, fitting a Power Commander module (and map) or through TuneBoy/TuneECU.

:017:

Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn llyswennod
My skeertuig is vol palings
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 08:42:00 PM by DeanRider »

Offline thud

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: triumph sp trip
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2012, 03:41:01 AM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
So if you cut the exhaust off just downstream of the sensor the mixture would remain the same as with the complete original system?? :084:

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2012, 09:56:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by DeanRider [+]
:462:

The so-called ability of a EFI tune to self-adapt following the installation of a performance pipe is an often quoted myth that has become almost gospel among many bikers! Ordinarily, the fueling must be adjusted, either by the installation of a suitable factory-developed tune by the Triumph dealer, fitting a Power Commander module (and map) or through TuneBoy/TuneECU.

:017:

The only "performance pipe" is the Arrow pipe, hence the separate tune.  All other pipes, so far, have been developed as a direct replacement for the standard exhaust box.  Therefore there is no necessity to change the tune. 
As for the adapting by the Triumph ecu it's not a urban myth.  It's fact.  It doesn't mean it will make huge changes but minor "tweeks" if you will to the mapping to allow for pressure differences etc.  Not everyone for instance lives at sea level.  Also you need to bear in mind that ecu's now are way more powerful than previously and thus able to carry out these functions.  If you doubt what I'm saying I suggest you contact Triumph .
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline DeanRider

• Tiger Member
  • TuneECU Freeware Rocks!
  • Bike: 2006 Tiger 955i
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2012, 08:56:43 AM »
So as to keep you all informed and in the loop, here is a copy of the notice recently sent to all dealers globally:

Unitil we know more, Tom Hamburg has placed a clear warning up on the TuneECU website to this effect: http://www.tomhamburg.net/

:232:

Offline Kiangs

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800XC ABS
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2012, 06:37:48 PM »
How long do you think it will take someone to crack/circumvent the 'anti-tamper facility'?

Or don't you think there is a big enough market/demand for it?

Offline Stevo

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger XC
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2012, 06:55:41 PM »
Incidentally, having had my 12k service today, they also applied a new map. It seems to have made a marked difference to the acceleration of my bike.
Orange Tiger XC with ABS arrived 5th May 2011

Offline paul_o

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: coming soon
Unauthorised ECU Modifications and Warranty Claims
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2012, 08:53:16 PM »
Easy fix - fit a PC5

Simples
-------------------------
?? coming soon.....
11 Tiger 800 Road (long gone)
13 Tiger 1050 sport (long gone)