Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Unauthorised ECU Modifications and Warranty Claims  (Read 21559 times)

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
Re: Unauthorised ECU Modifications and Warranty Claims
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2013, 06:38:38 PM »
the downloadable maps contain more than just data, IIRC things like the dampening on the fuel gauge changed between different maps.
Supposedly its just the Explorer ECU that throws a hissy fit if you use a different tool to upload a new map setting.
I guess that in reality means virtually any all new model since then including the Trophy. Whether it affects mid life updates is a moot point.

personally I don't know, I don't care Im quite happy getting tunes updated by the dealer.... then if the ECU gets bricked through a comms cockup or other issues its not my problem.

Offline ArcticFox

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2016Tiger800XCA
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2018, 10:56:46 PM »
So today I took my 2016 Tiger 800 XCa in for some warranty work, leaking panniers, left hand grip not heating, Horn failing, Noisy Suspension, Riders heated seat not as effective as the pillion seat....all of which I am happy with how its being handled...the bit I am not so sure about is apparently the ECU has latched faults with Canbus? and Cruise Control...I have not experienced any issues that would make me think there was an issue. What hardware and software can I use on my specific year/model would allow me to read these codes and to ensure they are dealt with without the dealer knowing I have been peeking. I do not want to make changes just be able to read and clear codes to ensure I am getting the issue dealt with and that I know it has stayed away. I have a Bluetooth Elm unit and also a dumb OBD to USB lead which I use for my import people carrier and laptop.....any advice will be certainly listened to as most of you are in the know more so than I  :031:

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2018, 11:48:05 PM »
Thanks to T800XC ...

go here for a basic option:
https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,14967.0.html

Or here for another, but deeper, non invasive solution:
https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,16987.0.html

:028:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline ArcticFox

• Tiger Member
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2018, 12:24:45 AM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
Thanks to T800XC ...

go here for a basic option:
https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,14967.0.html

Or here for another, but deeper, non invasive solution:
https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,16987.0.html

:028:

:493: Guess what I am trying tomorrow!...cheers just downloaded software and will check the version of Elm plug and let the fun begin

Offline ArcticFox

• Tiger Member
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2018, 11:51:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by ArcticFox [+]
:493: Guess what I am trying tomorrow!...cheers just downloaded software and will check the version of Elm plug and let the fun begin

Tried the 'up and I' and worked a treat and no engine faults. Will now move onto the ickle bit deeper version in a nice dry warm garage so I can play in comfort

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2018, 11:13:56 PM »
No engine faults detected using bike switch method equals just the same in Tigertool. The 'deeper bit' is that Tigertool allows additional things like 'service due' light reset and throttle body vacuum balancing.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Dont_Stop

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: '14 Tiger 800
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2018, 03:30:21 AM »
I think the smart thing to do would be, to live with your Tiger's ECU Map as is, until the warranty runs out.  If you can't do that, then realize you might be buying a new ECU yourself if your modified map runs amuck while being added. 

I myself, have a 2014 Tiger 800 and just remapped it with my own custom map using TuneECU a few days ago.  I bought it in 2013 on the showroom floor.  The remap provided a nice improvement to responsiveness at low throttle I must say.  However, after having the improvement, I'm glad that I didn't risk my warranty.  I learned to live with the hesitation.  Now the hesitation is gone and I'm enjoying it.   Having the improvement, if I could do it again, I still would not risk it. 

On another note, my DealerTool software and OBD II Connection often will not connect and often can't be located by DealerTool when I open I open the software.  This causes DealerTool to shut down.  So, I needed Tune ECU anyway. I know one of the problems with DealerTool is the drivers.  I've reloaded the drivers over and over and I get it to work for a short period then it quits again next time I try to use it. 

I bought a new $15 USB OBD II connection for TuneECU that works great with TuneECU but does not seem to work with DealerTool.  Any thoughts?  Seems to have something to do with the comms port and serial vs USB.  The OBD reader that came with DealerTool is recognized through a serial comms port.  The one I just bought is recognized as a USB device by the computer and TuneECU.  Both are USB but, recognized differently based on the drivers I would guess. 

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2018, 07:12:42 AM »
A "normal" cable that'll work with tuneecu won't work with dealer tool as you've found because the dealer tool cable has custom hardware in the plug.
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2018, 04:32:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dont_Stop [+]
On another note, my DealerTool software and OBD II Connection often will not connect and often can't be located by DealerTool when I open I open the software.  This causes DealerTool to shut down.  So, I needed Tune ECU anyway. I know one of the problems with DealerTool is the drivers.  I've reloaded the drivers over and over and I get it to work for a short period then it quits again next time I try to use it. 

I bought a new $15 USB OBD II connection for TuneECU that works great with TuneECU but does not seem to work with DealerTool.  Any thoughts?  Seems to have something to do with the comms port and serial vs USB.  The OBD reader that came with DealerTool is recognized through a serial comms port.  The one I just bought is recognized as a USB device by the computer and TuneECU.  Both are USB but, recognized differently based on the drivers I would guess.

One of the issues with the DealerTool interface is that they don't necessarily (in my experience) use genuine FTDI USB interface chips. From what I've seen the V2 DT interface is one of the better quality far eastern copies of an ELM327-based OBD2 interface, although they have since changed again to the V2.5 interface using the Prolific PL2303 USB interface chip.

Occasionally when Windows runs an update it will also update the USB driver for the interface chip which can cause issues. A couple of years back things went awry slightly when FTDI released a new driver that bricked some of the cloned chips, and therefore many 1000s of cheap OBD2 interfaces. Although it was possible (but tricky) to resolve this, FTDI lost a lot of friends over this action, particulary in the OBD market since very few interfaces use genuine FTDI chips. If you get the interface working successfully you can instruct Windows not to update the driver if/when a new one is released and this should stop it from failing again.

You can download all of the latest DealerTool USB drivers here, including those for 64-bit Win8 onwards.

http://dealertoolcouk.ipage.com/downloads17.htm

As Kildareman has said, a standard TuneECU lead will never work with DealerTool. TuneECU uses discrete components and their own software control to drive the necessary OBD lines to talk to the ECU whereas the DealerTool interface uses the ELM327 chip (or a clone of it) to handle all of the logic and line driving making coding more simple, so you just need to use the correct commands and let the ELM327 chip worry about the rest.

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Offline Gasman

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2018, 07:11:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by paul_o [+]
Easy fix - fit a PC5

Simples

What's a PC5?  :084:

Recent Topics

winded-staunch