Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Option on a blue launch edition explorer  (Read 3700 times)

Offline bogman

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: FXSTSSE3, 800XC
Option on a blue launch edition explorer
« on: March 27, 2012, 07:14:20 PM »
Going for a decent test ride on Saturday, interesting to see how she compares to my 800XC, wonder if ill like it enough to make a purchase  :150:

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
Re: Option on a blue launch edition explorer
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 07:46:42 PM »
So you coming past me then on up to Dub-land

Up to Lara via Hollywood & wicklow gap would be a good test ride
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline bogman

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: FXSTSSE3, 800XC
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 09:14:32 PM »
That's the plan all right, were you bitten by the bug or happy enough with the 800, its a big hit to take on a year old bike

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 09:18:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by bogman [+]
That's the plan all right, were you bitten by the bug or happy enough with the 800, its a big hit to take on a year old bike

Staying 800 side.  Do like the 1200.  To me feels lighter than the 1050, but I do like my 800 soooo much.  Took a 30 mile detour home today through County Dublin & Kildare back roads, past Arthur's (Guinness you philistines) grave, amongst other sites.  Beautiful day.

Offline BigMike

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800XC
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 07:33:56 AM »
My dealer said yesterday that they have already sold their allocation of explorers, and that there has been a 100% buy rate from test ride.  He's not a bullshitter either - he was amazed (but pretty happy)

Offline jenkspj

• Non-Active
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Own an 800 XC ABS - the cat told me to do it.
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC ABS
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 07:50:36 AM »
Allocation of Explorers?
The guy at 3 Cross said that they could order what they wanted, delivery at the moment is mid to end April, depending on colour.

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 09:32:34 AM »
Here's a little test ride for you BogMan, from Dublin Triumph, about 100km

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=212652085885365021343.0004bc49570921ba4f9ac&msa=0

Offline BigMike

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800XC
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 12:38:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by jenkspj [+]
Allocation of Explorers?
The guy at 3 Cross said that they could order what they wanted, delivery at the moment is mid to end April, depending on colour.

Just quoting what he said..

Offline CarlS

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Tiger 800 XC
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 02:28:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by BigMike [+]
My dealer said yesterday that they have already sold their allocation of explorers, and that there has been a 100% buy rate from test ride.  He's not a bullshitter either - he was amazed (but pretty happy)

I hope they are a big success for Triumph.
CarlS
Old Soldier

'12 Tiger 800XC / '68 Triumph Trophy TR6R (restored) / Honda Big Ruckus

Offline advblack

• Tiger Member
  • Bikeless due to recession & Tiger 800 wannabe
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 01:46:13 PM »
Test rode the Xplorer today and here are my impressions after a 20 min. ride. Riders sits leaning forward just like on the 800 (less) and the 800xc (more). It felt a bit tall, I am 6ft, and a bit top heavy. Gave me a similar feeling with the GS. Maybe a bit better but I am not sure. The bike has a fantastic shaft drive, in a different league from the GS, a great motor (I preffered it over the boxer) pulling very nice and with a sporty tone and hides its bulk on the twisties fairly well. The bike looks prettier than in the pictures. Brakes are excellent, didnt have the chance to test the traction control. All I can say is that I am impressed! One thing that it didnt do for me is the feeling that its been made also for offroad adventure. More like a very comfy and sporty all around machine that can be ridden like a street bike.
On a second thought, I believe that a shorter handlebar would be more appropriate for that kind of stance but the whole idea strays from the until now established trailie standard position. I can't help but thinking that a set of risers would sort this for those that are familiar and would not like to change their until now usual position on a bike like this. The Brits have gone for a different approach on a sector where most people don't bother to venture off road. Especially on such heavy bikes. I'd buy the 800xc for that. In fact I'd buy it anyway, 'cause it's cheaper and more agile when commuting. But even the xc needs a pair of risers for off road trailie use.

winded-staunch