Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Option on a blue launch edition explorer  (Read 3701 times)

Offline CarlS

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Tiger 800 XC
Re: Option on a blue launch edition explorer
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 03:10:44 PM »
Good review.  Thank you.
CarlS
Old Soldier

'12 Tiger 800XC / '68 Triumph Trophy TR6R (restored) / Honda Big Ruckus

Offline bogman

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: FXSTSSE3, 800XC
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 06:54:53 PM »
Thanks for the comments advblack, love to be able to keep both bikes but not viable unfortunately, booked in for a test ride at 1-30 tomorrow KildareMan, see how it goes, looking forward to the spin up and the rally in the Shanks after

Offline bogman

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 09:18:20 PM »
Didn't take long to make up my mind, beautiful bike, larger than the 800 but not by much, powerful, so powerful, found myself driving abt 10km/h faster, love the lower revving engine and gearbox, that touring screen is awesome, much more capable of taking all my rubbish on tour, handles very well, maybe not quite as nimble as the XC but not far off, its blue and its mine  :018: collecting sometime next weekend
One or two photorally/phoker rally shots and its off to the Rooters Saturday night
:300:

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 08:03:26 AM »
*Originally Posted by bogman [+]
Didn't take long to make up my mind, beautiful bike, larger than the 800 but not by much, powerful, so powerful, found myself driving abt 10km/h faster, love the lower revving engine and gearbox, that touring screen is awesome, much more capable of taking all my rubbish on tour, handles very well, maybe not quite as nimble as the XC but not far off, its blue and its mine  :018: collecting sometime next weekend
One or two photorally/phoker rally shots and its off to the Rooters Saturday night
:300:

:002: I really think Pete has the easiest job going. Congrats on the bike.  Saw it in the shop last week.  Lovely.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 08:43:24 AM »
*Originally Posted by CarlS [+]
I hope they are a big success for Triumph.

mumblings at present are it looks like the explorers are flying out of the factory. perhaps not as hectic as the 800 launch, but then agian that perhaps not such a bad thing.

I did hear mumblings that in above 500cc sales last year the Tiger 800s outsold the total of Yamaha's over 500cc sales of all models. if they can keep that up then who knows where they may be in a couple of years  :020:

Offline Goulash

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 ABS
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 06:16:18 AM »
Both are quality bikes (800 & XP), no question there. I think for anyone looking to buy into the 1200cc bracket or close to it, thinking new Versys here, there are now plenty of options available.

I've spent plenty of hours sitting on a GS driving around exotic places on the planet and always came to the same conclusion that while it's a great ride once on the move, it is rather bulky and way too heavy for realworld rtw trips. I don't care what the dynamic duo did, too much bloody effort for my taste. If i want rtw ability i'd buy a KTM and just get on with it.

For normal intercontinental touring duties, (wife/gf, luggage etc) the XP ticks all the boxes imho. That said so does my 800, least for me, plus i prefer the fact it's lighter and a bit better on fuel than the XP, considerably cheaper as well, especially the road version compared to the XP. I have no doubt it will be popular as hell and will certainly give BMW a good run for their money. Curious how the water cooled boxer will fare once it's released, but by that time i can see even more XP's on the road and if the new boxer is only a minor improvement, then it really will get interesting.

Triumph are building bikes that people want, why they are so popular, just hope they don't screw things up by designing too many models that people don't really want.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 06:17:57 AM by Goulash »
"Normal people believe that if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet."

Offline bogman

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 12:13:52 PM »
Main reasons im switching are good as the XC is, the engine screams and it doesn't have a shaft, had no intention of buying this year until Pete rang saying there was a launch model available, my XC is due a service, brake pads, tires and a chain/sprockets at some stage in the future, the launch model with all its extras ticks all the right boxes, dont think ill be crossing any rivers though :155:   

Offline doughnut

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: White T800, ABS
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 11:49:31 PM »
Glad you like it bogman.

I had a ride out today on my dealers grey one. 60 miles. I liked the whole bike really, except its weight. For a big bike its very easy to ride slowly, much less twitchy than my 800. Its also mega stable. Gearbox and shaft are way better than Beemers.

The only thing I didn't like was its unwillingness to change line. In the twisties you really have to work it hard, much more than the T8. I do agree with you on the T8 and the high revving of its engine compared to the XP. I reckon i will keep the T8 and spend some money on getting the front pipe replaced then tuned correctly, then I will up the front sprocket by a tooth, as it will have more grunt , probably in the region of 110, the dyno will tell  :016: