Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tigers in Morocco 2012 (Ride report and pics)  (Read 4109 times)

Offline yiannis

• Tiger Master
  • Greece->Seattle->Barcelona
  • Bike: XC ABS
Re: Tigers in Morocco 2012 (Ride report and pics)
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 12:00:09 AM »
Giorgo, I didn't have one, maybe the others can chime in on this but it seemed fine. It's definitely big and has many flexible pockets. The zippers have a water resistant seal but it does come with a rain cover which suggests it's not fully water proof, though there is an inside liner bag that will keep everything dry.

My main gripe from the roll bag would be that you can't secure it on the bike with a lock, if someone looks at it enough they can easily figure out how to remove the entire thing and walk away. But that wasn't an issue in Morocco, much safer than Spain or anywhere else I've been, everything was so peaceful, it was just great.

Back to the topic, some words on the big cities we visited.

Fes was for the most part a modern city but the old Medina (old town) is where the interesting part is. We had a local guide to take us through the Medina (already arranged by Rent-a-Tiger) which you ABSOLUTELY need, that place is a freaking maze and that comes from a Greek that can find his way around in the old city of Athens. He knew where to take us to get the best pictures and explain what was going on. It was great.

Marrakech was absolutely crazy but in a good way, everybody was always running around , there was always something interesting happening, I can completely understand the charm of the city and its fame. We stayed there 2 days and it was a good plan to spend that extra day there, I wish I had more days to spend there, it's lovely.

A note about the hotels. We stayed in excellent hotels, some of them 4-stars. In Marrakech we stayed in a riad (renovated house with internal garden) which was gorgeous, on the sand dunes in an amazing place owned by Catalans which was also pretty amazing (I would give this 5 stars) and then in Fes, Afourer and Midelt in 4-star hotels which were very fancy. The boat trip was the typical boat cabin but couldn't do better than that. I'm usually not a guy that thinks too much about fancy hotels but I must say all of them were a pleasure to relax and sleep after a good day's ride. This was my first moto-trip were hotels were booked in advance and I enjoyed it, it's nice to ride until sunset without having to worry about where to find a decent hotel and then just follow our (fearsome  :492: ) leader and land in a 4-star hotel and relax at the lounge immediately with no hassles.

The day rides lengths were as expected, going down Spain me and TigerTom left a day earlier and took it slow to see some places (he should have great pictures from these places) , the rides in Morocco were the right length, ending around sunset and besides the cities on back roads with ZERO traffic. The only day that is kind of boring is the last one, zipping through Spain to get back to Barcelona in one day but understandable and we did get to taste the real Valencian paella.

Gas was around 1 euro / liter , you do the math...

Offline firecat0_0

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800 XC/KDX/C15T
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 10:45:54 AM »
Hi Yiannis,

thanks for sharing with us, it looks and sounds like it was a special trip. I had not considered morocco but it sounds worthy of further investigation!  Thanks once again!
As a bike rider you know why dogs love to stick their heads out of car windows into the breeze!!

Offline WAZHALO31

• Tiger Master
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 12:45:28 PM »
What a great trip. Awesome pictures

Offline serfies_sa

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Road
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 05:07:38 PM »
Yiannis,
lovely, simply beautiful, makes you want to pack and go! Just told the wife the other day: there is still so much we need to go and see. Who knows, we might get the chance to do this.
Thanks again for sharing, I can just see Rent a Tiger doing some more bussiness!

Offline bluesman

• Tiger Master
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 11:35:21 AM »
Familiar places on photos :) I been there from May 1st to 12, only not with Tiger.
That was trip that finally moved me to buy new bike after my 20 years old one started to play up a bit.
Perhaps next year I'll be there with Tiger!

Offline mint julep

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XC orange :)
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 06:02:32 AM »
 Ti kanis Yiannis.

Great trip!

I'd love to do one of these tours someday, we're there tests to check rider skills sets?
Did your group have a range of novice to advanced mix on the ride?
Just wondering if newbie like myself could keep up.

Nice pics of some fine scenery.

Thanks for sharing.
Dave

Offline yiannis

• Tiger Master
  • Greece->Seattle->Barcelona
  • Bike: XC ABS
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 01:09:37 PM »
Long time to respond but better late than never....

I was the slowest one of the group but I didn't feel pressured at all, at some times I 'd just follow my own pace and give the others in front some time to catch a quick photo or two every now and then. Anton is very experienced leading groups so I'm sure he can figure out the best way to do it.

I'm thinking of doing the tour again maybe next year.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch