Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Service bulletin - gear selector return spring  (Read 45890 times)

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
Re: Service bulletin - gear selector return spring
« Reply #180 on: August 30, 2017, 01:19:19 PM »
Or you could have had it drilled and tapped.  The weak point of the original failing design is the rivet like attachment of the shaft to the plate.

Fair play for saving yourself over 120 though.
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #181 on: August 30, 2017, 02:40:18 PM »
Looks good briany

That's 3 different fix methods on the same thread and all working well :)

Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline SimonG

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #182 on: May 25, 2019, 05:17:45 PM »
Hi! Have a 2014 Tiger 800 ABS & been following this post after my pin broke and decided to save a few s and try the repair myself.
Finally got it drilled and bought new spring, pivot plate, a 2nd hand clutch & basket..as I broke the outer clutch drum while trying to get the nut off ><.
Just spent the day sorting it and unfortunately, the bike only shifts into Neutral & 2nd now. I didn't even think to try the gears before putting everything back together >< :087:
I'm guessing the Outer gear casing teeth weren't aligned correctly when I put it all back together? I obviously didn't check this bit as it wasn't on the Elliot Dunn YT vid and I didn't notice it in the Haynes manual..
There doesn't seem to be any info about keeping these aligned that I could find, except "3. I inserted a 5mm bolt in the alignment hole before taking the outer drum off but it turned out to be too small to keep the teeth aligned.  So I removed the screw and got my nail set that has a tapered shaft and tapped that into the hole until the teeth were lined up.  After assembly just pulled it out." from Raylo (post #87.
Any help would be greatly appreciated..I'm just exhausted and didn't want to take everything apart again without knowing what I was looking for :p I just want to take it into the Triumph Garage in Blackburn to get it sorted now.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 05:51:52 PM by SimonG »

Recent Topics