Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 500 mile service  (Read 10707 times)

Offline Frenchie

• Ex Member
  • Tiger Pro
500 mile service
« on: January 14, 2011, 02:08:27 PM »
Just got back from dealer having had my 800 roadster thru its 500 mile service. No problems and only took an hour. Cost just shy of 60 which was all consumables oil, filter washers, blob of grease you know the drill..(VAT= :232:). Picked a bit of info from the service manager, that the oil prior to service was semi-synthetic, which has now been replaced with Castrol fully synthetic. The ECU has also received a new/different tune. The rest of it was check nothing about to fall off adjust grease chain then good to go.

The new tune has made a difference, the engine feels sharper and sounds perkier. How do I feel about it after a week and a half? Nice one Triumph its fabulous.. :046:

Offline tiggersteve

• Non-Active
  • Tiger Pro
Re: 500 mile service
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 02:14:01 PM »
I'm sure triumph have a pre first service tune,

Offline markbvt

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Bonnie/T800XC
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 02:43:44 PM »
Interesting about the new tune. Was this a simple update because they came up with a better tune, or does the bike come with a break-in tune, and part of the 500-mile maintenance is updating it to the "real" tune?

If the latter, that's going to be a serious pisser for those of us who do our own maintenance.

--mark
2001 Bonneville (caffeinated) / 2003 XR650L / 2011 Tiger 800 XC ABS

Offline Frenchie

• Ex Member
  • Tiger Pro
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 02:52:41 PM »
You raise an interesting point Mark. I did ask the same questions of the service manager who professed ignorance as to either. From the way it runs after service I think its part of the maintenance, it definitely feels tweeked. However I stand to be corrected. Once a few others put thier bikes thru this service and get ECU updates we will be in a better position to judge. Like you say not so good for the home spanner twirler brigade.

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 03:02:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by Frenchie [+]
You raise an interesting point Mark. I did ask the same questions of the service manager who professed ignorance as to either. From the way it runs after service I think its part of the maintenance, it definitely feels tweeked. However I stand to be corrected. Once a few others put thier bikes thru this service and get ECU updates we will be in a better position to judge. Like you say not so good for the home spanner twirler brigade.

for those who practise Zen and the black art of motorcycle maintenance, then surely its not a major task to swing by a dealer and get the remapping done, when convenient for both. if the service takes less than an hour.. then a remap must be a matter of minutes.... probably get charged an hours labout mind you, unless you pre agree the uploading as part of the sale.

gwan be honest, how much time could you waste at a dealer slavering over the bikes and whatever else whilst the bike is being tinkered with.... treat it as aan excuse to go call in to the dealer. heck play your cards right and it could become a regular excuse.. "sorry darling, got to pop down to the dealers to get the ECU remapped"  :138:

Offline doughnut

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: White T800, ABS
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 03:19:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by healdem [+]
heck play your cards right and it could become a regular excuse.. "sorry darling, got to pop down to the dealers to get the ECU remapped"  :138:

Not anymore  :019:

Offline markbvt

• Tiger Master
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 04:34:07 PM »
gwan be honest, how much time could you waste at a dealer slavering over the bikes and whatever else whilst the bike is being tinkered with....

That's not the point. I don't want to rely on the dealer to have to do anything whatsoever to my bike. I thoroughly and strongly object to the idea that I'm beholden to a particular mechanic to have my bike run properly, let alone that I have to shell out money for what amounts to a mandatory remap. If Triumph feels the need to have the bike use a different EFI map for break-in, then they should include both maps in the ECU along with a line of programming code to automatically switch maps at the appointed mileage. It's not like that's difficult -- many bikes come with switchable maps.

Or at the very least, remaps should be free -- although then it's not fair to the dealer, who has to make his service personnel's time available for something he doesn't get paid for.

--mark

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 07:05:06 PM »
Is it a mandatory remap?
Certainly Frenchie nor seemingly the service manager knew whether it was a mandatory ECU reprogram
if this is a critical term for you then get it agreed to at the time of placing your order.
is it an intial running in mapping or is it a revised ECU mapping that may be present on newer bikes

As previous Triumphs can be remapped outside the dealer network, then I'd expect there is nothing stopping you from uploading a remap yourself, assuming you can get hold of it and that the software developer providing the upload utility updates the software to work with 800's

Bearing in mind its you wanting to service your bike yourself, then I can't see why you are seemingly complaining about the remap, in the absence of anby hared and fast inforamtion as opposed to rumour and specualtion.  There may be some fun in that for some, but there's no future in it. go find out the facts for yourself, or get soemone to give you a definitive statement... talk to the dealer or if he cant help talk to Triumph directly.

Assuming it is an initial mapping for the break in then there'd be stuff all point in including the post break in mapping in the bike.. would there, unless it was only unlocked after the initial 500 mile point had been reached.

I don't know who does the mapping of the fuelling, whether its Triumph or the supplier of the ECU but I'd expect it to be built to a price and itds relatively rare to find swicthable engine maps that can be changed on the fly.

ultimately: yer pays yer money, yer takes your choice. if you want to service the bike at home then you have to accept that not everything can be done at home

Offline markbvt

• Tiger Master
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 07:51:59 PM »
is it an intial running in mapping or is it a revised ECU mapping that may be present on newer bikes

That's what I was wondering.

Assuming it is an initial mapping for the break in then there'd be stuff all point in including the post break in mapping in the bike.. would there, unless it was only unlocked after the initial 500 mile point had been reached.

That's what I was suggesting above -- it is a computer, after all, so it would be trivial for Triumph to include a line of code in the programming that automatically switches the maps when break-in mileage is complete.

if you want to service the bike at home then you have to accept that not everything can be done at home

That's all well and good when discussing a procedure that I perhaps don't have the skills for myself, but that any qualified mechanic can do. The trouble comes in when one is restricted to Triumph dealers specifically -- which in this case may be the case because as far as I've ever heard, Triumph is not very forthcoming with its EFI maps, so even if you have the hardware to upload a new map to the bike, getting a hold of the map in the first place is the real problem.

This is one of the things I like about carburetors. So much simpler!

Hey Frenchie, could you take a look at your owners manual and see what it lists for the initial service? Does it say anything in there about a remap? Because if it doesn't, then chances are this is just an improved map that has nothing strictly to do with the break-in process, and will hopefully already be included on bikes currently in production.

--mark

Offline Frenchie

• Ex Member
  • Tiger Pro
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 10:15:31 PM »
I dont think this is going to be very helpfull.... The owners handbook for the 500 mile service says "Autoscan-carry out full Autoscan using the Triumph diagnostic tool". This is repeated for the 12000 mile service and 24000miles. At 6000 and 1800 miles we have "Engine ECM-check for stored DTCs". I have no idea what DTCs are? Anyone help? There is nothing else refering to engine electronics. As it is so vague they clearly they do what ever, as per the latest mapping from Triumph.

As far as doing your own thing/ maintenance, then I am sure you could buy yourself a power commander, get some time on a dyno with a laptop and creat your own bespoke mapping package and never have to bother with a Triumph dealership again... Plus endless fun balancing fuel economy/power/torque/etc. Its only going to cost you money.Everyones happy... :155: 

Recent Topics