Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 500 mile service  (Read 10700 times)

Offline markbvt

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Bonnie/T800XC
Re: 500 mile service
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 10:21:43 PM »
Interesting.

DTC = Diagnostic Trouble Code.

I assume valve adjustments are every 12,000 miles?

Is there anything else involved in the 6k and 18k maintenance besides checking for error codes and doing an oil/filter change?

--mark
2001 Bonneville (caffeinated) / 2003 XR650L / 2011 Tiger 800 XC ABS

Offline Frenchie

• Ex Member
  • Tiger Pro
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 10:38:25 PM »
Thanks Mark
DTC... should have thought about it more... hay ho...

Like all triumphs the big one is every 12000 miles, valves check and adjust, aircleaner. plugs, coolant all renew. Rest of it is all check/adjust/lubricate. None of it is beyond a competent home mechanic.

Having lived with the bike it does seem fairly get-at-able, special tools shouldnt be to much of an issue. 

Online healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 08:39:24 AM »
That's what I was suggesting above -- it is a computer, after all, so it would be trivial for Triumph to include a line of code in the programming that automatically switches the maps when break-in mileage is complete.

short of seeing the code itself I doubt very much its a 'single line of code', esepcially if they have bought in the ECU they may have limited (read no) access to the system itself, merely add their own fuelling programme, and unless you've seen the code I doubt you know its a single line of code.

I was told a while back that you will not get a carburetted bike through the EU Euro3 emissions legislation. Fueli injection is here to stay, and I can only see it getting tighter and tighter. http://backroadsrider.wordpress.com/2010/01/31/heads-up-on-eu-plans-for-motorcycle-emissions.

As siad before, if this is critical to you then go ask the questions from an authrotative source, be that your dealer, the importer or Triumph UK. was it "Welshman" who had a specific requirement concerning the handlebar diameter and it wa answered pretty quickly by the factory. Although some people like specualtion, rumour and so on, I fail to see the point of perpetuating rumours wqhen there is a clear avenue to find out what is or isn't the facts.

As part of my compact with the FPO (Fun Prevention Officer AKA SWMBO) my bike is serviced by a competant mechanic (for a bike out or warranty thats a one man band, for one in warranty thats the approved dealership) so I'd expect remaps, factory alerrts to be handled by the dealer

Offline jenkspj

• Non-Active
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Own an 800 XC ABS - the cat told me to do it.
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC ABS
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 02:20:11 PM »
Interesting that the first service is at 500 miles when the run in period is only half done.

Also interesting that the run in oil is semi synthetic and not fully synthetic.

I do wonder if they are using a "run in" tune as the difference between the 800XC I rode with 10 miles on it and then with 400 miles on it and the Arrow can was remarkable. I know the dealer applied the Arrow map when they fitted the can at 300 miles. 

I'll find out in about 6 weeks.

But if they are using a "run in" tune then they shouldn't be fitting an Arrow exhaust during the run in period. Unless of course there is a "run in" arrow tune....I know the price of an Arrow can includes the additional map.

Offline markbvt

• Tiger Master
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 05:52:42 PM »
It's not that critical right now; we'll all find out soon enough.

Another question for you, Frenchie: what kind of gas is called for? Does the bike run on regular unleaded, or does it require mid-level or premium? Does the owner's manual say anything about a low-octane map like the BMWs and KTMs have?

If low-octane gas is not an option, it won't work too well as a RTW bike... or even a remote-Canada bike, where many of the gas stations only have regular unleaded.

--mark

Offline Frenchie

• Ex Member
  • Tiger Pro
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2011, 09:35:54 PM »
According to the owners manual...The Roadster 800 and the 800xc are both designed to run on unleaded petrol of with an octane rating of 91 RON or higher. Bear in mind mine is a UK vehicle specifically designed for the local market. It goes on to say that there are apparently slightly different setups with breathers/ evaporators for different foriegn markets, though it doesnt say if that changes fuel requirements. There you go..
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 12:45:06 AM by Frenchie »

Offline markbvt

• Tiger Master
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2011, 04:40:54 AM »
Excellent. 91 RON is roughly the same as 87 R+M/2 (as usual, the US has to use a different measuring system from the rest of the world). Glad to hear we can run regular unleaded instead of having to buy the more expensive stuff, or carrying a bottle of octane booster along when riding in areas that don't have premium gas.

--mark

Offline RaglandT

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800XC / 1200XRT
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2011, 05:12:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by markbvt [+]
Excellent. 91 RON is roughly the same as 87 R+M/2 (as usual, the US has to use a different measuring system from the rest of the world). Glad to hear we can run regular unleaded instead of having to buy the more expensive stuff, or carrying a bottle of octane booster along when riding in areas that don't have premium gas.

--mark

:0461:; amen ...

Offline firestarter

• Tiger Master
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 09:48:26 PM »
if you want to do your own tuning i would surguest using http://www.tuneboy.com.au/ as a starting point as they have worked wonders with the D675 motor

Offline Seed

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: T800ABS on order
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2011, 09:37:44 PM »
I asked the service manager at Jack Lilley why they might install a new fuelling map at the first service, and he explained it would just be a routine update. At every service they will check which map is installed on your bike, and if a newer one is available they will install that instead. They don't use a pre-first-service "break-in" map.

The fuelling maps are subject to ongoing development so a new one could be released at any time.

Of course if you decide to get the Arrow replacement silencer then the dealer will install a bespoke map for it. The Arrow map is optimised for the can with the baffle out (probably to avoid the mixture running too lean), but will also work fine with the baffle in.
Eschew obfuscation

Recent Topics

winded-staunch