Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Chain Life  (Read 4714 times)

Offline markbvt

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Bonnie/T800XC
Re: Chain Life
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 09:29:37 PM »
"O-ring" chain is really just a generic term for any chain that has gaskets to seal the rollers. An X-ring chain is just a fancy type of O-ring chain, technically speaking (the gasket has an X-shaped cross section instead of a round one to basically create dual seals).

The more important thing for durability is what type of chain it is -- 520, 525, 530...?

My Wee-Strom came with a 525 O-ring chain, and it lasted for almost 32,000 miles before I finally had to replace it.

--mark
2001 Bonneville (caffeinated) / 2003 XR650L / 2011 Tiger 800 XC ABS

Offline Tiger Tale

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 1050 Tiger DR650
Re: Chain Life
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 02:17:39 AM »
*Originally Posted by ByronW [+]
I replace the chain and sprockets on my DL1000 each year at about 12- 14,000 miles, usually a month before my yearly week long trip across several states. It's more for peace of mind than need, and inexpensive enough to just consider part of the cost of ownership. With Triumph dealers spaced further apart than Suzuki dealers in the western US, I'll probably continue that practice.
Any decent shop for any brand can replace your chain and sprockets. You would have to supply sprockets or wait a day or two for them to be shipped in. No big deal. I put over 70K miles on my '02 Vstrom. 14K on 1st stock chain, then 22K and 25K miles on two DID VM-2  X-ring chains thereafter. Stock Suzuki Sprockets each time. Fantastic chains.

An DID X ring chain will out last a DID  O ring by around 20%.  Only brand I use.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch