Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: "Limp Home Mode"  (Read 2794 times)

Offline Jasoninthevi

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 800xc
"Limp Home Mode"
« on: September 13, 2012, 10:18:43 PM »
I have a 2012 Tiger 800xc. I bought it last month but have since done a trip and it has 6400 miles on it. It recently has been having problems figuring out which gear its in and the engine malfunction light has come on. I know that this gear indicator malfunction is probably the reason for the light. The service manual says that when the engine malfunction light  is on that the bike goes into "Limp Home" mode and should not be ridden very far like this. Does anyone know if the bike is always  in "Limp Home Mode" when the light is on? I know it can come on for many different reasons.

Offline DirtFreak

• Tiger Master
  • Motorcycle Addict
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
Re: "Limp Home Mode"
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 11:40:49 AM »
My gear indicator went bad & my check engine light came on too. The new sensor (third one triumph came out with) was on back order & I rode like that for 1000 miles. It is not advisable, but I couldn't wait that long. You know there is a recall on that sensor. Go get a new one installed.
Tarmac ruins perfectly good roads.

Offline andyrut

• Tiger Jedi
  • always willing to the extra mile
  • Bike: Roadie
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 12:13:04 PM »
Same here mine went spaz too - light came on - took it to dealer - he says its fine to ride it and that im not in limp mode and the management light has remained on.

Got it booked in now he has it cleared and part is in ready. Not to worry about riding it as long as there are no other faults causing the light to appear.

Andy
Honda Varedero
Kawasaki Versys
Tiger 800 ABS

Offline grin factor

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Blue Tiger 800
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 07:30:50 PM »
Bikes will go into limp mode if it thinks running it will cause damage etc. This is not the case with you.
I think there are too many electonic gadgets on bikes these days, which is all the more to go wrong.
The less you give a hoot, the happier you'll be.

Offline coco

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: White Roadie
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 07:48:24 PM »
I had my car go into limp home mode.
Huge power loss, top speed about 40mph and the rev limiter cut in very early, less than 50% of the rev range.
If Triumphs engine management is similar you will definately know if your in limp home mode.

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 09:44:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by grin factor [+]
Bikes will go into limp mode if it thinks running it will cause damage etc. This is not the case with you.
I think there are too many electonic gadgets on bikes these days, which is all the more to go wrong.

That's what comes from EFI.  simplicity, ie Carbs are gone
Lost again

Offline doxbike

• Tiger Pro
  • stablemate with a FatBob and Goldwing
  • Bike: 2011 800xc
gear indicator
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 01:10:52 PM »
Where do I find info on recall for gear shift indicator recall?  no luck on a search.  Is it just some bikes with certain build dates, or across the board?  TIA

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
Re: gear indicator
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 01:33:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by doxbike [+]
Where do I find info on recall for gear shift indicator recall?  no luck on a search.  Is it just some bikes with certain build dates, or across the board?  TIA

You won't anymore as Triumph took their VIN enquiry page down.  You need to give your VIN to a dealer and ask them to check. Fairly broad range of vins from memory.
Lost again

Recent Topics