Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Thoughts on initial reliability and availability in the US around summer  (Read 4990 times)

Offline RollinOnShabbos

• Tiger Member
  • An ex-pat living in Africa...
Hello all!

New to the forum and posted something similar over at the Triumph Rat forum but seeing as how there seems to be much more active discussion of the 800 over here, figured I'd give it a shot.

I'm currently living in Southern Africa and basically beating myself up over the fact that I haven't been able to take a test ride of an 800 and if/when I liked it (which I have a strong feeling I will) put my name down for a new one from the factory.

As of now, I'm planning on returning to the States, mostly likely around the beginning of May after which I will indeed go take a test ride.  I'm hoping to pickup a bike, fairly quickly thereafter as my hope/plan is to do a 3-4 week cross country trip, catching up with friends I've missed for the last year.

I'm curious what all your thoughts are in regards to the availability of the bike and of maintenance parts throughout the US dealer network might be like come summer.  What I'm afraid of, well besides from not being able to get a shiny new 800 in time for my trip, is that if I DO manage to get a bike that I won't be able to properly have it serviced, or if need be, pick up replacement parts, along my way.

With this fear, I'm thinking it might be better for me to grab a new/used VStrom or something that I know there are parts for pretty much everywhere and just wait to buy the Tiger until some point later in the year (or next model year).

Obviously there are not many hard facts yet in regards to the reliability of the bikes (congrats to you owners who are picking up this week!) and I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on this forum in the coming months trying to get a sense of what's what with this brand new bike.

Anyway, thanks in advance for all your thoughts, advice and suggestions.  Can't wait to see some more pictures of people on their new bikes!

That's it, it's been done: Road 800 ABS with a bunch of goodies on orders as of my birthday.

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
Re: Thoughts on initial reliability and availability in the US around summer
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 08:36:59 AM »
from a UK resident's view
I suspect the bike willbe in realtively short supply worldwide until the next model year.
the bike seesm to be selling well, meaning that when you do your test ride and then asssuming you do decide to buy there may not be a delivery till later.
ultimately its in the lap of gods, depends on whether the dealer(s) near you can and do order bikes in for stock. depends if triumph let 'em (int he UK dealers are not supposed to be able to order for stock, but only for specific named customers although there is a tleast one dsealer who has seemingly circumvented that. considering that the bike has only just been launched in the UK officially (20th Jan) I fear that your ambition to have a new 800 for a May ride is looking optimistic... although Im not certain I'd want to do a long trip on any brand new bike, let alone a brand new model of bike. I suppose you could possibly get round it by placing a 'pre order' with a dealer so at least their is a clear prospect that you coudl get a bike. perhaps get get a relative, a friend whatever to place a conditional order with a refundable deposit. I don't think you are going to loose that much as I'd be very very surprised if there were any discounts ont he bike.. there may be on accessories, first service and so on.

as to parts availability, who knows. its a new model so it will take time for model specific parts to enter the dealer network.

Offline RollinOnShabbos

• Tiger Member
  • An ex-pat living in Africa...
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 09:36:13 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  What you said, pretty much agrees with what I've been feeling and I think I'll probably just shelve the idea of the Tiger for a while even after I return.  Might be hard though.  Just the look/sounds/spec of the bike sound perfect for the type of trip I was planning.  Still I've heard lots of good things about the Strom so I'm doubting I'll be too sad.

Still looking forward to reading regular riders impression of the Tiger once they've received them. 

Thanks for running a great board.
That's it, it's been done: Road 800 ABS with a bunch of goodies on orders as of my birthday.

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 11:00:32 AM »
fwiw it looks like current UK deliveries are starting to stretch into June / July.
sounds like the best thign to do is but a secondhand VStrom, do your trip on that
see how things go with the Tiger (how reliable they are, whether it will still be a hot bike next year, allow other to find the faults and so on), and who knows in a year or two you may get the Tioger of your dreams but a less silly price

Offline Tiger Balm

• Tiger Jedi
  • South East UK
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 11:29:20 AM »
I think Triumph will make bikes available overseas sooner than some UK waiting lists.

They supply a world market, so the UK will not be flooded first
XC in White on the road...(and off)

Offline markbvt

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Bonnie/T800XC
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 03:15:39 PM »
I've officially had an XC on order since the US preorder list opened in November (and unofficially since last summer; I've been pestering my dealer about the bike for a year now). And even so, I'm not 100% sure that I'll have my Tiger in time for a long trip I'm doing in May.

As of now, Triumph will only be delivering Tiger 800s to US dealers with confirmed preorders -- that is to say, money down and actual customers' names attached. The latest I've heard is that preordered bikes should begin arriving in March. It's unclear whether North American dealers will be getting any floor stock for walk-in sales for the rest of the year; if so, it's sounding like it won't be till next fall. But that said, it would not be surprising if some of the larger dealers faked some preorders in order to provide themselves with a few bikes for the sales floor, but they're not supposed to be doing that.

I just spoke with my dealer on the phone, but he had no additional information as he wasn't able to make it to the North American dealer meeting that just concluded in Phoenix. Due to all the snow on the East Coast, his flight was canceled, and then his rebooked flight was canceled too. Meanwhile, the Triumph northeastern sales rep is trapped in Phoenix because his flight home has been canceled due to the massive storm currently making its way through the Midwest. So it may be a bit longer before we get some useful information.

--mark
2001 Bonneville (caffeinated) / 2003 XR650L / 2011 Tiger 800 XC ABS

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 03:36:23 PM »
that sounds like the same as UK orders.

I was told that Triuph wanted to avoid the frustrations and speculators exploiting their customers so the first year is by definate order only, dealers cannot order for stock, only for named orders (supposedly Triumph in the UK were talkingabout verifying such names and addresses if they had doubts about the dealer. the new model year starts IIRC in July/August when the 800's shouldbe avaiulable as floor stock. this is presumably after Triumph have completed the planned initial production run of 7,500 800's for this year

Offline burgerking

• Tiger Master
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 05:50:10 PM »
I know several dealers here in NL have ordered the 800 without having customer orders, my dealer ordered 3 800's in advance and one them now has my name on it

Offline Tiger Tale

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 1050 Tiger DR650
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 07:00:45 PM »
I'm pretty sure you can get a bike in the US this year but it may not come as early as May. My prediction (made nearly a year ago) was that US dealers will see new Tigers in June/July. But so far Triumph look to be ahead on production, already making deliveries in the UK and S. Africa. Make sure you don't get a bike from the Demo fleet unless is well discounted. New, in the crate is what you want. (about 40 press demo Tiger 800's are currently in Georgia, USA)

I would start calling around to Triumph dealers and find one willing to take your deposit and guarantee a bike of your choice. You won't be getting any price break on these first year bikes but I'm betting you can easily find one. You may have to wait for ABS, not sure on that.

If you had a major problem (like blown engine) with the bike NO ONE in the US is going to have parts this early on. Oil filters, shims, chain & sprockets, bulbs, new Tunes, are all standard and any Triumph dealer will have these and be able to do a basic service. Tires no problem either. Standard sizes, commonly available.

As Summer goes on I'd bet dealers will begin to get shipments of accessories as well.
I would not worry about reliability. Bike is proving to be solid and should be very trouble free.

The Vstrom or Wee Strom is a great bike too. I've owned two, put over 80,000 miles on them since 2002. Price is right too. Unbreakable and nearly maintenance free.

So many choices!   Good luck!  :031:

Offline markbvt

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Bonnie/T800XC
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 07:28:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tiger Tale [+]
I'm pretty sure you can get a bike in the US this year but it may not come as early as May. My prediction (made nearly a year ago) was that US dealers will see new Tigers in June/July. But so far Triumph look to be ahead on production, already making deliveries in the UK and S. Africa. Make sure you don't get a bike from the Demo fleet unless is well discounted. New, in the crate is what you want. (about 40 press demo Tiger 800's are currently in Georgia, USA)

I don't think it'll take that long for preordered bikes to show up. Triumph is planning to do the US launch on March 25 just like the did the Sprint GT one -- ie, dealers will have a bike for people to look at and test ride (conditions permitting). It seems highly likely that at least the non-ABS 800s and XCs that customers have ordered will arrive in time for that as well. I guess we'll find out soon enough...

--mark
2001 Bonneville (caffeinated) / 2003 XR650L / 2011 Tiger 800 XC ABS

Recent Topics