Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Thoughts on initial reliability and availability in the US around summer  (Read 4991 times)

Offline wahzoo

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800
Re: Thoughts on initial reliability and availability in the US around summer
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 11:04:57 PM »
I'm in Vancouver Canada and I was told that my bike shop was only allocated 6 bikes and that was for preorders they were not getting any for dealer stock. They said it would be months before the next shipment.
Crystal White roadie here

Offline Lifeisgood

• Tiger Member
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 03:06:16 PM »
Just west of Chicago, there is a dealer in Villa Park, IL.  They will be getting the 800's and XC's in March.  They've ordered at least half a dozen and have allocated one of each for demo bikes, but it's looking like the demand is pretty high, so they might go quick.

Offline RollinOnShabbos

• Tiger Member
  • An ex-pat living in Africa...
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 09:59:31 AM »
I've sort of decided to late fate handle the Tiger or not.  My return date is still a bit unclear and I figure once I get home I can call around a bunch and see if there are any bikes to be had. 

If in the end, I can't find out.  I'll survive.  I'll go with my original plan of buying a new/used V-Strom 650 or something similar and slugging that thing across the country.

Then, when next year rolls around and I can do the purchasing properly, a new 800 will be all mine.  :046:
That's it, it's been done: Road 800 ABS with a bunch of goodies on orders as of my birthday.

Offline outactrl

• Tiger Member
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 11:16:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by RollinOnShabbos [+]
I've sort of decided to late fate handle the Tiger or not.  My return date is still a bit unclear and I figure once I get home I can call around a bunch and see if there are any bikes to be had.

According to my dealer in North Carolina, the 800s should be here late March or early April. I wouldn't be surprised if by June there will be a few used bikes on the market from people who put a deposit down then weren't happy with the bike for some reason after taking ownership.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti

Offline blacktiger

• Tiger Jedi
  • Tiger800XC owner since June 6th 2011
  • Bike: Tiger800XC
*Originally Posted by Tiger Tale [+]

If you had a major problem (like blown engine) with the bike NO ONE in the US is going to have parts this early on. Oil filters, shims, chain & sprockets, bulbs, new Tunes, are all standard and any Triumph dealer will have these and be able to do a basic service. Tires no problem either. Standard sizes, commonly available.

In addition to this I would add that Triumph use parts that are common to a lot of other makes of bike. e.g. the brake callipers look the same as my 955 Tiger which are common to the early CBR600 Honda as well as numerous others, So, I'd imagine that routine service bits and bobs could be sourced at your local Jap bike shop if you's care to do some investigation.
Black '13 Tiger800XC. The other British Land Rover. 31000 miles and counting.
Previous Tigers were 2002 955i & 2011 800XC

Offline RollinOnShabbos

• Tiger Member
  • An ex-pat living in Africa...
Well I finally got a chance for a quick test drive here in South Africa and placed an order with a dealer back home in the US (did this about 2 weeks ago).  Dealer thinks it should be a problem to have the bike setup and ready for me to collect when I head out to the west coast to pick it up in early July (I had to move my return to the states back a bit so the trip and bike pick up gets moved back as well).

I've been in touch with him a couple of times since putting the money down and he's still trying to find a better approximate delivery date for the bike.  Apparently he's let his regional manager know about my fly and ride story and the manager doesn't think it should be a problem either.  Guess we'll just have to wait and see.
That's it, it's been done: Road 800 ABS with a bunch of goodies on orders as of my birthday.

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
 :028: good lcuck with the order matey...

so what did you go for
an XC or 800
a white or Yellow 800, or a white or ginger XC
after all who would want a black bike, when they have a choice?  :017:

Offline Radzz

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: White 800XC
 Regarding delivery I think it depends on how many the Soth African supplier has ordered. I know that in Scandinavia the Swedish importer has pre ordered a number of bikes. When I placed my order , just 9 days ago, I was told that my delivery would be in the first two weeks of April. I said I thought that was odd as I had heard that there was a waiting list for them, but, my dealers answer was that the importer had already pre ordered and that my bike would come from that stock which was due in at the beginning of April...so,...who knows,....I have to admit I havent recieved a 100% delivery date yet!

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
*Originally Posted by Radzz [+]
Regarding delivery I think it depends on how many the Soth African supplier has ordered. I know that in Scandinavia the Swedish importer has pre ordered a number of bikes. When I placed my order , just 9 days ago, I was told that my delivery would be in the first two weeks of April. I said I thought that was odd as I had heard that there was a waiting list for them, but, my dealers answer was that the importer had already pre ordered and that my bike would come from that stock which was due in at the beginning of April...so,...who knows,....I have to admit I havent recieved a 100% delivery date yet!

I think the customer pre order only applies to the larger market places and probably only where Triumph directly controls the importer / distributor, and where they expect to sell most, have nmost pent up demand and the highest likelihood of supply problems. Effectively that means the UK and North America. By controlling the distributor it also means Triumph can impose whatever terms and conditions it wants.

so good luck to you if you are on a two week delivery deadline

Offline Goulash

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 ABS
In the UK Triumph may have put their foot down with the dealerships about selling only pre-ordered 800's but i can tell you for a fact, that's not what's happening. I'm proof of this. Dealerships (and i've talked to two of them) are selling the 800's to anyone who wants them, certainly regarding a cancelled order. I don't know if they should go to the next person in line or not but if that's the case, some dealers (not naming them) are not doing this.

Example, i phoned up on the 8th of this month making a casual enquiry. "We have a cancelled order here that's exactly what you want", the dealer said. Paid my deposit on the spot. Only reason i'm waiting until the end of the month to pick the bike up is simply down to weather issues, (it snowed again last night  :157:). So while i've technically queue jumped here, from my perspective 'appy days', but this is clearly something the dealership shouldn't be doing, at least in the UK (i'm assuming at least).
"Normal people believe that if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet."

Recent Topics

winded-staunch