Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger 800 Torque Specifications (2012 - on)  (Read 24526 times)

Offline Silent Mobius

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XC
Re: Tiger 800 Torque Specifications (2012 - on)
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2016, 10:59:07 AM »
As a beginner on the learning process on How-2-Do the maintenance of my bikes this will be a value-added document so...  :493:

Thank you for the  :460: :460:

TigerMode800XC'er

Offline digger06

• Tiger Master
  • digger06
  • Bike: tiger 800 xc
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2016, 12:00:23 PM »
don't forget there are different torque settings for lubed bolts and dry, if you copperslip or similar a bolt that has a dry (non lubricated)torque setting and tighten to the dry setting, you have possibly over tightened it,
before anyone says they have never had a problem,you might not have, but you have been lucky,  its bad practice...
 have a look on google and see what can happen, especially on smaller bolts,
i,m a mechanical fitter at a power station , and also run a bike mot business, i see overtightened stretched/snapped bolts all the time,usually down to this problem...a bolt too tight can snap, stretch beyond its elasticity limit and loosen/snap,or it can just strip the threads , whatever, not good........
if you must lube a dry bolt and torque up, accepted practice at work is torque to 75%, but that isn't exact, so don't quote me....

another point to note is a setting for say, an 8mm bolt will not be the setting for a similar looking bolt elsewhere, base metal, thread type, heat (expansion/contraction), and different bolt material all play a part, so double check, don't just think its the same as the last bolt,
sorry if I'm teaching folk to "suck eggs" here, but some genuinely don't realise, (if they did i wouldn't have so many stud extractor's, lol)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 12:03:59 PM by digger06 »

Offline digger06

• Tiger Master
  • digger06
  • Bike: tiger 800 xc
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2016, 12:09:34 PM »
note on torque wrenches too,
use them, then when finished, back them off, so theres no tension on the spring,
if you don't they quickly become inaccurate....

Offline RoadWarrior

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2017, 07:06:14 PM »
Another thanks for the Torque chart.

A further note on torque wrenches is to use the correct size of wrench, using a 1/2" drive to torque an M6 bolt will most likely end badly as torque wrenches are not accurate at their extremes of measurement. 

A 1/4", 3/8" & 1/2" should cover everything on a motorcycle.

Recent Topics