Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: GENERAL DISCUSSION ON PHOTO COMPETITION  (Read 9793 times)

Offline Rocket

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 900 GT PRO
GENERAL DISCUSSION ON PHOTO COMPETITION
« on: December 18, 2012, 10:59:55 PM »
This thread is for general discussion about the photo competition and the 2014 calendar.

The idea is to post all your comments relating to the competition here (thereby keeping the other threads in this sub-board free of general banter).
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 11:01:37 PM by Rocket »

Offline GringoRojo

• Dancing on Ice Champion 2010
  • Tiger Jedi
  • a Doonhamer in exile
  • Bike: TigerXC ABS
Re: GENERAL DISCUSSION ON PHOTO COMPETITION
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 01:26:51 PM »
this is in response to a comment by BigMike about his technical/technique suggestions for submissions for the inaugural calendar being ignored...

I wouldn't say that, more likely that some of the images were one off snaps/photos on trips that would be impossible to repeat just to get a "better" photo. and many of the submissions would have been taken before you provided your advice.

Now that we know the probable format of the 2014 calendar I'd expect most if not all images to be in landscape format, and by the content of the successful images this year we should be able to be more focussed (sorry) with our submissions.  so don't be so negative (again, sorry)

:001: 
Countries I've ridden: Scotland, England, Wales, Northern Ireland, Ireland, France, Switzerland, Spain, Andorra, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Canada (hired bike).
Memorable places: Applecross, Barra, Calanish, Lascaux, Pyrenees, Connemara, Tofino, Lillooet, Sulphur Mountain, Nordkapp, Dalsnibba, Borgund stavkirke.

Offline andyrut

• Tiger Jedi
  • always willing to the extra mile
  • Bike: Roadie
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 02:21:25 PM »
Gringo,

The Competition this year as you point out is going to be looser in the brief as the project is aimed at all being able to take part and that all are capable of making the 'Money shot'
I do hope also that from the 1013 campaign that more riders will be enthused to take part.
Originally the end point was tight due to the way that the eventual calendars produced proposed and since and including the calendars delivered we can do away with most of the crap.

The main point to drive at this stage now it is up and running is:

More pictures please
Wider variety of shot making as you said landscape or portrait
Getting shots in different seasons around the world
Shots like yours with people included perhaps
ends of the spectrum in terms of where we ride - Commuters are an example and city riding too
Creativity
Remembering that it a fun thing to do and no one needs to be a so called professional - in fact it goes against the overall appeal to go that way
It is for us - Tiger riders
It is for charity
It is to get what we want - ie Oxford Products cannot compete ha ha
It is bespoke
It brings us closer together as a forum - worldwide too

Bring it on  :123:
Honda Varedero
Kawasaki Versys
Tiger 800 ABS

Offline GringoRojo

• Dancing on Ice Champion 2010
  • Tiger Jedi
  • a Doonhamer in exile
  • Bike: TigerXC ABS
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 03:36:08 PM »
I'm all for that, the more variety the better. We should hopefully have a few more famous landmarks this year, such as big ben, monument valley, uluroo (ayres rock), stonehenge, table mountain, eifel tower etc etc. Now that we know there is to be another calendar then when we are on holiday/out on trips we can actively try to get photos for submission.

one thing I was wondering, is there still going to be such a low limit on the number of submissions from each forum member?
Countries I've ridden: Scotland, England, Wales, Northern Ireland, Ireland, France, Switzerland, Spain, Andorra, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Canada (hired bike).
Memorable places: Applecross, Barra, Calanish, Lascaux, Pyrenees, Connemara, Tofino, Lillooet, Sulphur Mountain, Nordkapp, Dalsnibba, Borgund stavkirke.

Offline andyrut

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 04:06:56 PM »
Good point - i will raise that with de committee  :123:
Honda Varedero
Kawasaki Versys
Tiger 800 ABS

Offline Rocket

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 900 GT PRO
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 11:06:24 PM »
My humble experience on these things in recent years has proven that up to 3 photos per person is about right.

We need to strike a balance between too few and too many.  3 shots per person gives members more of a chance to win but also avoids us being overrun with photos. Based on the current rules, if 100 people take part , thats around 300 photos from which we need a minimum of 12.
If it helps, people will have the chance to substitute entries up to the closing date on 31st August to ensure we have the best 3 shots from your seasons work.

Offline mjab

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 900 GT Pro
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 08:32:51 AM »
One of the things I liked about this calendar was the rawness of it in as much that most of the pictures were taken at one off events that couldn't be stage managed and if I've read right had very little adjustment to them to be published.

THis gave it a very personal effect and hopefully this plan of bringing a professional onboard and some of the comments of "better taken" pictures will not take this one off design of the calendar away

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 09:06:30 AM »
I think Brooks's photo of his Tiger is a fantastic image. I dread to think how much time and effort (and lets face it equipment and skill) that went into creating that image.

There was a lot more time than we realise spent on tarting up the image (sorry adjustment) than we realise or appreciate to knock them into shape for the calendar. And we shoudl all give AndyRut and www.magnum-biz.co.uk a huge dollop of praise for what he/they did.

I agree wholeheartedly that the prime driver behind this competition is its a bunch of numpties who ride Tiger800's who have take some photo's on their travels which they hope may be of interest to others. If it becomes a Photographic comepititon it looses some of its attraction. in my books it should remain a photo competition. I think their is a heck of a lot we could learn from say a professional looking at the images submitted last year and a couple of comments of how that image could have been improved (ie be better if the framing was, object A is too big, object D is to far away and so on.

and yes you are right we do not want to loose the spontenaity of the picture. personally I was annoyed with my entry at Tissington ford, but it was done on a group ride, short of time and having to relearn how to use ther camera at short notice. as a consequence of that I was to close to the ford so I and the camera got wet, didn't get the image I was lookign for onthe first pass and as a result the image I did submit was burred in parts due to water on the lens. it would have been nice to go there with just one other rider on a summers day in ideal light and spend say 30..45 minutes attempting to get 'that' shot but that wasn't possible

One of the attractions of the finished article is the range of subjects, backgrounds and images.
One of the aims of the competition is to get out there riding your bike and (not just to please Gideon) take some photo's sharing your ride.

On the back of that Rocket has managed to raise some sore needed money for a great cause which is faltering as it hasn'[t really found a wasy of raising much money. The really really significant thing in my books about this charity (aside from what they do) is that they don't have employees inthe UK, they donjt' have a an office + car + pension), virtually ALL of the cash raised goes direct to the charitable cause.

So go out there, get on yer bike, take some photos.

I think the limit of 3 per person (so you have to select which photos are your best) of which only one can be used is the right way forward. last year we had was it 72 entrants and frankly I struggled to whittle down the 200+ images into 13. yes I coudl get down to 20..25 quite quickly but getting that final list was a struggle.. if we get more entrants this year (and I hope we do) then its going to be even more of a struggle. this is where I could see the pro's coming into their own in picking say the best n images and getting people to pick form that reduced list.

its about the image
its about the bike
get ou their and go take a piccy

Offline trippleT

• Ex Member
  • Tiger Master
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 09:53:01 AM »
*Originally Posted by healdem [+]
I think Brooks's photo of his Tiger is a fantastic image. I dread to think how much time and effort (and lets face it equipment and skill) that went into creating that image.

There was a lot more time than we realise spent on tarting up the image (sorry adjustment) than we realise or appreciate to knock them into shape for the calendar. And we shoudl all give AndyRut and www.magnum-biz.co.uk a huge dollop of praise for what he/they did.

I agree wholeheartedly that the prime driver behind this competition is its a bunch of numpties who ride Tiger800's who have take some photo's on their travels which they hope may be of interest to others. If it becomes a Photographic comepititon it looses some of its attraction. in my books it should remain a photo competition. I think their is a heck of a lot we could learn from say a professional looking at the images submitted last year and a couple of comments of how that image could have been improved (ie be better if the framing was, object A is too big, object D is to far away and so on.

and yes you are right we do not want to loose the spontenaity of the picture. personally I was annoyed with my entry at Tissington ford, but it was done on a group ride, short of time and having to relearn how to use ther camera at short notice. as a consequence of that I was to close to the ford so I and the camera got wet, didn't get the image I was lookign for onthe first pass and as a result the image I did submit was burred in parts due to water on the lens. it would have been nice to go there with just one other rider on a summers day in ideal light and spend say 30..45 minutes attempting to get 'that' shot but that wasn't possible

One of the attractions of the finished article is the range of subjects, backgrounds and images.
One of the aims of the competition is to get out there riding your bike and (not just to please Gideon) take some photo's sharing your ride.

On the back of that Rocket has managed to raise some sore needed money for a great cause which is faltering as it hasn'[t really found a wasy of raising much money. The really really significant thing in my books about this charity (aside from what they do) is that they don't have employees inthe UK, they donjt' have a an office + car + pension), virtually ALL of the cash raised goes direct to the charitable cause.

So go out there, get on yer bike, take some photos.

I think the limit of 3 per person (so you have to select which photos are your best) of which only one can be used is the right way forward. last year we had was it 72 entrants and frankly I struggled to whittle down the 200+ images into 13. yes I coudl get down to 20..25 quite quickly but getting that final list was a struggle.. if we get more entrants this year (and I hope we do) then its going to be even more of a struggle. this is where I could see the pro's coming into their own in picking say the best n images and getting people to pick form that reduced list.

its about the image
its about the bike
get ou their and go take a piccy
:460: :0461:

Offline andyrut

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 10:47:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by mjab [+]
One of the things I liked about this calendar was the rawness of it in as much that most of the pictures were taken at one off events that couldn't be stage managed and if I've read right had very little adjustment to them to be published.

THis gave it a very personal effect and hopefully this plan of bringing a professional onboard and some of the comments of "better taken" pictures will not take this one off design of the calendar away

I hear you loud and clear and agree man :123:
This year has been a true reflection of our riders and bikes - long may it say that way - my only gripe has been variety but overall I take my Helmet off to all the people who took the plunge and entered whether or not they got into the final few.
To all ....'
The next one will still be produced in a professional manner and there is always a great shot somewhere waiting to be taken it is down to the 'numbers game' - keep shooting with what you have at the biggest file size you can muster - Don't be afraid to keep repeating your shots (bracket to those that know) and certainly do't think too hard.

Andy  :123:

PS thanks for your kind words Matt (Healdem) - it has been a labour of love, I am just happy that we ended up with some great shots mate and a great final product
Honda Varedero
Kawasaki Versys
Tiger 800 ABS

winded-staunch