Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: GENERAL DISCUSSION ON PHOTO COMPETITION  (Read 9794 times)

Offline greaseweasel

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800
Re: GENERAL DISCUSSION ON PHOTO COMPETITION
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 11:49:47 AM »
Looking forward to using this as inspiration next year - didn't get the camera out much last year, so this will give me some good excuses to be out and about with it.

Just have to keep the bike clean though.

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 11:51:56 AM »
*Originally Posted by greaseweasel [+]
Looking forward to using this as inspiration next year - didn't get the camera out much last year, so this will give me some good excuses to be out and about with it.

Just have to keep the bike clean though.

...why?

..its not a manufacturers brochure shot
..its not for an owners club

..its sounds liek an excuse NOT to take a photo  :027:

Offline greaseweasel

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 12:35:34 PM »
Not really, its an excuse to keep the bike looking nice for a 'photoshoot' ;)

Offline Rocket

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 900 GT PRO
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 01:26:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by healdem [+]
On the back of that Rocket has managed to raise some sore needed money for a great cause which is faltering as it hasn'[t really found a wasy of raising much money. The really really significant thing in my books about this charity (aside from what they do) is that they don't have employees inthe UK, they donjt' have a an office + car + pension), virtually ALL of the cash raised goes direct to the charitable cause.

So go out there, get on yer bike, take some photos.

I think the limit of 3 per person (so you have to select which photos are your best) of which only one can be used is the right way forward. last year we had was it 72 entrants and frankly I struggled to whittle down the 200+ images into 13. yes I coudl get down to 20..25 quite quickly but getting that final list was a struggle.. if we get more entrants this year (and I hope we do) then its going to be even more of a struggle. this is where I could see the pro's coming into their own in picking say the best n images and getting people to pick form that reduced list.

its about the image
its about the bike
get ou their and go take a piccy

:460:  Agree with all of this and would like to add some more thoughts.

My guiding principle when working on these projects is to remember that it is for the benefit of the forum and its members. Part of my enjoyment of owning a bike is playing an active part in stuff like this (you probably noticed) . In the same way, Andyrut actually gets a buzz from doing the creative artwork stuff. Lucky for us that he does.  Its just pot luck that we happen to be on the same forum and this calendar project came together.

For 2013, we want to use the same formula that was successful on this years, so we absolutely will keep the informality, the personal feel , etc. I believe that part of the charm of our product is the "less than perfect" look of some of the shots. A good example is the one of the ford Healdem refers to.  OK , so it has water on the lense which creates a blurr , but that doesn't bother me. When I see that photo , it reminds me of the laugh we had when Matt, lying on the gound taking the shot, got wet as we rode past  :001: Its an instant reminder of the great day we had on the group ride out.  Same goes for the Langdale photo (even the "Me" typed on the number plate). That was taken on our first Mega Meet in the Lakes - another memorable Tiger event.

So, I see this competition to be more than a calendar, its a sharing of treasured moments between like-minded people. Hence, I am REALLY clear that we need to retain the essence of why we enjoyed the 2012 competition - it's the personal feel, the reminder of those quality moments , often spontaneous shots to capture a special view . Plus, once in a while (and more by luck than judgement) , you take what Andyrut referred to as the "money shot" which ends up in our calendar.

The addition of a pro photographer on our 3 person team is not to move towards a competition for pros. Far from it  - it's to help us numpties get more clues what to do with our point and shoots when we stumble across a nice place for a photo.

You got to be in it to win it so why not have a go.

Long post this , sorry, but just to finish off with the charity thing. The reason I proposed we support MoR is that its a great charity for bikers to support.  It provides and maintains motorbikes for health workers to reach people living in remote locations in developing countries. It's had a tough time rasing funds in recent years and been struggling. As Matt says, there are no paid staff, no offices so no burdening overheads.  (Even the Articles of Association state that >85% of the money raised will go to the people in need).  However, the charity is small and needs help. Its very much an underdog in the charity world but the concept is really sound. As a biker and a parent (and someone who prefers my charitable donations to go to the people in need), I have no hesitation in requesting we give MoR our continued support.

Thanks to you guys, and the production of our first calendar, I hawked it around the UK bike show a few weeks ago and talked to businesses about what we had done and power of forums when a group of riders get organised. Guess what, it raised interest with some of the well known names in the supply side of the UK industry (that I will be following up in the New Year).

Our little project could well end up being part of a much -needed turnaround in fortunes for this important little charity.

For this reason, plus my personal commitment to ensure our next competition retains the same successful ingredients  of the last, I seek your OK for us to support Motorcycle Outreach for a second year.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 06:47:43 PM by Rocket »

Offline cunestu

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Blue XRx
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 01:53:51 PM »
Proud and happy to continue our support of MOR  :028:
Sometimes I like to squat down, put my arms around my legs and lean forward but that's just how I roll.

Offline GringoRojo

• Dancing on Ice Champion 2010
  • Tiger Jedi
  • a Doonhamer in exile
  • Bike: TigerXC ABS
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 02:27:57 PM »
yep, same with us Ron, MOR is more than fine. as is keeping things fun, with helpful advice given for those who want it.

btw, the "me" is actually part of my reggie plate, and I decided to leave it there in post porcessing due to the title of the pic "Me at Langdale" and it was pretty much one of the money shots Andy mentions - purely a grab shot with a point and shoot. Mrs Gringo didn't even get off her bike!
Countries I've ridden: Scotland, England, Wales, Northern Ireland, Ireland, France, Switzerland, Spain, Andorra, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Canada (hired bike).
Memorable places: Applecross, Barra, Calanish, Lascaux, Pyrenees, Connemara, Tofino, Lillooet, Sulphur Mountain, Nordkapp, Dalsnibba, Borgund stavkirke.

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, 03:51:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rocket [+]
For this reason, plus my personal commitment to ensure our next competition retains the same successful ingredients  of the last, I seek your OK for us to support Motorcycle Outreach for a second year.

Im all for continuing to support MoR. On another note its your idea to create the calendar so in my books its fine for you to decide where any surplus goes. Lets face it its your time thats going into the voting process and the admin side along with AndyRut. so your call

Another important plus from my perspective is that MoR is something that isn't especially parochial or local or exclusive. This is an international site that welcomes anybody and everybody who has a common interest in the Tiger 800's. In my books we should pick something that is not limited to a specific country. I think it would be wrong to pick a UK charity (or French, American whatever). MoR is a charity that has a bike theme its doing good work. it doens't have a swanky HQ with higlhy paid fundraisers, organisers and a CEO + pension to support.

For exactly the same reason that the choice of donating the surplus from the tee shirts from last years mega meet to the GNAA was appropriate (sorry to mention it again Cunestu  :017:) precisely because we had been responsible for the call out of the air ambulance. granted it wasn't our call to send the air ambulance that was the emergency call handler but even so it was an appropriate and deserving cause

What I do think would be a good idea is if MoR could do some form of ringfence around the money from us into a specific project so it becomes a clear Tiger 800 project (only if in a tiny part). Heck they could go partially down the route of other charities that have psuedo adoption programs. I bet there are a heck of a lot of children who have adopted the same giraffe, rhino, elephant or whatever. but it does make a more personal contact between the ultimate consumers of MoR's work and (some of)  people who have contributed. I'd even go further and see if there would be a nice and simple method of saying I'd like to buy a calendar AND i'd like to make an additional contribution to MoR.

Offline Rocket

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 900 GT PRO
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2013, 10:40:26 PM »
You've raised a really important point here and I would like to share some more information.

Motorcycle Outreach has just one project currently in Indonesia. Its has been supporting this operation for the last 10  years. The project has won awards for its innovative approach and results in reducing child mortality.

In 2012, MoR was finally able to start the "hand-over " of this operation to local people. This has enabled MoR to start planning a campaign to launch a new project in another developing part of the world where there is a similar need . Hopefully this will be done by Qtr 3 or 4 2013.

I can confirm that all new funds raised this year , included those raised by the Tiger 800 forum will go towards this next project. The details have not yet been finalised but MoR has started discussions with contacts in 2 potential locations  - South America and Eastern Europe. I anticipate that one of these will be selected in Qtr 2 2013 and this will be the focus of our fund-raising campaign throughout 2013.

I do not have details of the start-up budget costs yet but lets say its around 30K.  (the biggest cost will be the purchase of the bikes - around 1800 each).  To give members an idea of the importance of the forum's contribution to this next project, the combined donations from our Tiger Owners 2013 & 2014 calendar campaigns could provide up to 10% of the start up costs, ..which would be fantastic.

As one of the volunteers trying to help the charity (and my active participation with the Tiger 800 group), I will ensure that forum members see the benefit of our joint fund-raising efforts since we will be , potentially, one of the biggest single contributors to the next MoR project.  Once the location and project plan are known , I will post the details on the forum. Clearly, there is an opportunity for us all to feel a real sense of ownership and pride when we see our money having a positive impact on the ground.

Progress will also be posted on the charity's website (currently being re-vamped) evidenced by photos and feedback from the people we are helping.

I can also share with you that we are planning a "re-launch" of MoR  (around May/June) to create a much higher level of awareness of the charity and its mission.  For what its worth, in the lead up to this campaign, the Tiger 800 group has been the first major brand biker forum to come out in support of MoR.

Others will be invited to follow in the coming months  ( behind the scenes, you will be amazed at the pledges of support I have had personally from several of the best known names in the adventure biking world. More on this later).  Most people (especially adventure motorcyclists) can relate to promoting the use of motorcycles to enable health workers in developing nations reach populations living in remote areas. It just  needs us lot to promote the idea!

Time will tell how successful MoR becomes in future years. Today , it is very small and in need of more volunteers and more fund-raising efforts since we have no paid staff or officials. We're a small group of biker enthusiasts with full time jobs , families etc  just happy to do what we can.
However, plans are being made to build momentum in 2013 which if successful will enable MoR to launch more projects as funds allow.
As our modest calendar project clearly demonstrates, when just a few of us motorcyclists get organised, collectively we have the potential to make a postive difference to tens of thousands of people living in poverty and deprivation....all thanks to our passion for bikes.

How great is that. :123: :123:

« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 01:10:20 PM by Rocket »

Offline tewkesburytiger

• Tiger Cub
  • David Shephard
  • Bike: tiger 800xc
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2013, 05:02:39 PM »
i have tried to post a picture a couple of times and i have noticed that it has been removed both times. could anyone shed some light in this?

Offline cunestu

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Blue XRx
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2013, 05:11:51 PM »
tewkesburytiger, your pics are posted here on the photo competition thread https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,7293.60.html  or are you referring to other photos?
Sometimes I like to squat down, put my arms around my legs and lean forward but that's just how I roll.