Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Squeaky gear change  (Read 1414 times)

Offline Stiger008

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger800
Squeaky gear change
« on: December 30, 2012, 06:54:12 PM »
The gear change on my Tiger 800 roadie was not as sweet as usual and when moving the lever by hand [engine not running] I could here a squeak. I suspected the pedal pivot must be dry but when I removed the allen bolt it was well lubricated. however both rose joints top and bottom of the adjustable rod were squeaking I pulled back the rubber boots and they were bone dry.A smear of grease and all is sweet again. I do not think this is on the service list so may be worth checking yourself.

Steve

Offline Billy-2007

• Tiger Cub
  • After a string of BMWs, getting used to chains😅
  • Bike: 16 Tiger 800 XRT
Re: Squeaky gear change
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 07:02:51 AM »
The rubber boots on both ends of the gear change rod on my 2016 XRT are perished and ripped. I inquired at my local dealership, and it appears the rubber boots are not sold as a separate item. They said I would have to buy the whole rod assembly ($$$$$$). Has anyone found a alternate supplier for these rubber boots? TIA
Cheers,
Bill

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 07:08:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by Billy-2007 [+]
The rubber boots on both ends of the gear change rod on my 2016 XRT are perished and ripped. I inquired at my local dealership, and it appears the rubber boots are not sold as a separate item. They said I would have to buy the whole rod assembly ($$$$$$). Has anyone found a alternate supplier for these rubber boots? TIA
Cheers,
Bill

See item 16, is this what you need?
https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/6263047/xt225w-serow-4jg2-1995-010-a/gear-change-assembly
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline Billy-2007

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 12:39:02 AM »
Thank you Paulhere.
Even though your Link refers to parts for a Yamaha, the dust cover certainly LOOKS like it is very similar to the the same items on my Triumph Tiger. I will try to contact the supplier you mentioned, and see if I can get a clearer picture of its suitability. I wonder if any other UK Tiger owners have used these  as a replacement alternative.
Regards,
Bill

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 07:26:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by Billy-2007 [+]
Thank you Paulhere.
Even though your Link refers to parts for a Yamaha, the dust cover certainly LOOKS like it is very similar to the the same items on my Triumph Tiger. I will try to contact the supplier you mentioned, and see if I can get a clearer picture of its suitability. I wonder if any other UK Tiger owners have used these  as a replacement alternative.
Regards,
Bill

Hi Bill, I was able to go straight to it because I own both the Yam Serow in the link & a T800, they look identical to me. My little Yam is a '95 & that rubber is still as new after 26 years. A tad better quality.

Edit: Your local Yamaha dealer should be able to supply the part.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 07:28:23 AM by Paulhere »

Offline Billy-2007

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2021, 10:39:17 PM »
Hi Paul,
I hadnt heard of that model of Yamaha, so wasnt sure if it was released in Oz. I contacted my local Yamaha dealership, and he found that part number, with plenty available out of Sydney. So I am now waiting for the delivery, hoping they will suit. They only cost $7.50 (Au) each, so well worth trying them out. I will let you know the result.
Thanks again.
Bill

Offline Billy-2007

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2021, 07:50:59 AM »
Hi again Paul,
The parts arrived, and they fitted beautifully. They may have been very slightly smaller, or maybe the originals had stretched a little. Just needed a bit of grease to help stretch them over the rose joints. Altogether a very successful job, thanks to your info. I have attached a photo showing the old and new dust caps.
Thank you again.
Bill

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2021, 07:55:06 AM »
Thanks for the feedback Bill, glad it worked for you. Rubber grease keeps them supple & stops them expanding.

Recent Topics