Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: a future tiger xc...?  (Read 931 times)

Offline oneorangedog

• Non-Active
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: white xc
a future tiger xc...?
« on: February 09, 2011, 09:04:39 PM »
it is clear that the xc engine is more than capable for its intended purpose,

but wouldn't it be interesting if, in the future, there was a button which when pressed somehow altered the timing & crank balance shaft to change the characteristics of the engine to become more choppy and tractable - like a thumping single -  for better control when doing difficult off-road, low-speed manoeuvres?

just a thought... although i'm very happy with my XC... (for now)

Offline Banjax

• Tiger Member
Re: a future tiger xc...?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 07:01:18 PM »
Well seeing as how Aprilia provide 3 different ignition maps on a few of their bikes,switchable  on the bars,there should be no reason why Triumph cant do the same.Whether they can change a triple into a single is another matter.

Offline firestarter

• Tiger Master
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 08:01:19 PM »
aprilia! don't make me laugh the last bike i had had the 3 map system which i left in sport permanently because rain mode was like riding around on a 125 tour was just boring and would barely pull the skin of a rice puding and felt flat in comparison to sport mode.
if that's what you want have at it. i would not buy another bike with that fly by wire system

Offline Tiger Tale

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 1050 Tiger DR650
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 08:15:58 PM »
Triumph could certainly offer different power modes. Easy with modern ECU's. But really, the way to deal with this is lower gearing.
IMHO, Triumph should have built in a lower 1st gear on the XC model. A tall 1st gear means too much clutch slipping and wheel spin in steep terrain. Different ignition maps could help but gearing is the real way to solve this.

Offline healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 11:29:10 PM »
gearing is surely the easier fix for that....

but then you are going to have people complaining that the gearing is to widely spaced, or to low for adequate road, ahem sorry pavement :157: mile, sorry kilometres  :008:

its either that or going down the route of Honda's VTEC approach.

altering the mapping in my books tinkering at the margins. unlike the cars where this sort of malarkey is comon few bikes have the auto adjust suspension, and so on. few have the spare capacity (weight, electrical and so on) to hide away all the extra mechanical systems to make it all work. it smacks more of a marketing gimmick, somethign to attract the journo's magpie attention as somehtign to write about.

its adding to the complexity, and thats not somethign you want when far from home or a Triumph dealer. Didn't someone mention on here when the bike was still rumours about a quote to repalce the auto suspension unit of arounf 1500,, yet we have some people demanding the centrestand be a standard fit. Im sure Triumph could make it a standard fit,m but then no doubt someone will chime in bemoaning paying extra for a centre stand they didn't want and didnt' need.

could either bike be improved, absolutely
but is there going to be a common improvement pathway

I have my doubts, theres two bikes out there, for now, who knows what Triumph may do next year or the year after. theres seesm to be two different camps the road and the XC unsurprisngly and different demands or expectations as to what the bike should be. its a tough act for Triumph to pull off to have to very similar bikes but different uses, seemingly without compromising either

perhaps wee should be gratefull they have finall got the bikes launched before leapng into "I want" mode

Recent Topics