Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Headlight adjustment  (Read 3262 times)

Offline peter

• Tiger Master
Headlight adjustment
« on: February 12, 2013, 02:13:00 PM »
Both the owner's handbook and service manual said that the hex knob on the right is for vertical adjustment, the knob behind the quick adjustment lever is for horizontal adjustment. Well, it took me an hour to realize it is the reverse.

There's a marking beside the right hand knob to indicate anti-clockwise L and clockwise R. I thought L stands for Lower and R stands for Rise, which is consistent with the manuals. After realizing the manuals are wrong it became appear that L means Left and R mean Right. :D

Anyway, while trying to adjust the headlight vertically, I noticed the light can move freely up and down inside the housing (it's like the knob doesn't lock it in place). Turning the knob does change the vertical angle but it can tilt up and down when pushed.

Does this sound right? Not something got loosed?

Cheers!

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
Re: Headlight adjustment
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 02:22:01 PM »
Think you'll find L = Left  & R= Right.
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Offline andyrut

• Tiger Jedi
  • always willing to the extra mile
  • Bike: Roadie
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 04:15:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by KildareMan [+]
Think you'll find L = Left  & R= Right.

Funny you should say that - I have the very same stamped on the top of my shoes and hands  :008: :008:
Honda Varedero
Kawasaki Versys
Tiger 800 ABS

Offline Zaphod

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800XC, Fazer 600
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 04:33:11 PM »
As long as nobody mentions knickers from C&A..... :431:

Offline charly

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: tiger 800
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 10:24:06 AM »
*Originally Posted by peter [+]
I noticed the light can move freely up and down inside the housing (it's like the knob doesn't lock it in place).

Does this sound right? Not something got loosed?

Cheers!

thats not right, the vertical adjustement got loosed!
i had the same problem, i noticed that the beam went to the heaven and was not to adjust.

i asked my triumph-dealer ans he said, that this a well known problem and there exists a official repair-instruction (also with video):
remove the screw with the lever, remove the lever from the screw, turn the screw back into the housing and strike with a (plastic)hammer on the screw.
the ball inside the housing shold spring back into the bearing. then install the lever again and the vertical adjustement works as it shold.

bayern, des samma mir,  jawoi

Offline Toontje

• Tiger Pro
  • Motorcycle instructor
  • Bike: 800 XRx 2016
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 11:12:56 PM »
After that . . . get new bulbs!
Greets, Toontje

Offline peter

• Tiger Master
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 07:57:28 AM »
*Originally Posted by charly [+]
thats not right, the vertical adjustement got loosed!
i had the same problem, i noticed that the beam went to the heaven and was not to adjust.

i asked my triumph-dealer ans he said, that this a well known problem and there exists a official repair-instruction (also with video):
remove the screw with the lever, remove the lever from the screw, turn the screw back into the housing and strike with a (plastic)hammer on the screw.
the ball inside the housing shold spring back into the bearing. then install the lever again and the vertical adjustement works as it shold.

Thanks for the post. I bought the bike to the dealer the other day, they fixed the headlight promptly and said something like your description.

Not sure if this post: https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php?topic=4198.0 is a similar problem and can by fixed the same way.

Offline Jon H

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger, obviously
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 12:33:19 PM »
I had exactly the same problem when I replaced the headlight (broken lens through stone chip). An absolute nightmare to click the ball back into the socket; I really thought I was going to break my new light. A bit of a design flaw I'd say.
"Endless motorbike talk can and does bore me." Barry Sheene

Offline charly

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: tiger 800
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 12:41:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by Toontje [+]
After that . . . get new bulbs!
yes!
...if you don't remove them before this action.

seems to be well known problem, this loose connection in the headlight.
bayern, des samma mir,  jawoi

Offline yiannis

• Tiger Master
  • Greece->Seattle->Barcelona
  • Bike: XC ABS
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 05:47:20 PM »
I had the whole assembly replaced under warranty when it first happened, then the second time I tried to fix it myself but I gave up and just tied the two parts together. I might try this new process to fix it.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch