Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Lock Barrel Removal from Top Box  (Read 60599 times)

Offline Rem

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: '13 Roadie
Re: Lock Barrel Removal from Top Box
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2013, 05:59:10 AM »
*Originally Posted by arrybash [+]
Does anybody have any tips to remove the lock barrel from the top box.  Looks like it needs to have the end tumbler moved as well as the lock tumblers.  I assume there is a master key, but I don't have access to one.

Thanks

Chris
Riding on India's roads did it for me!
Not suggesting you go there but check out your local dirt roads! 

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2013, 01:43:45 PM »

Out of curiosity I sacrificed one of mine.

As you can see the retaining pin runs through the slot in the middle of each pin.
The key runs in the groove opposite side to the spring and bears down on the lower protrusion at the bottom left of each pin....Except, obviously the securing pin (last on right).  It doesn't have any protrusion for the key to bear on, otherwise the lock would come out each time you opened the case.

So here's a question:  How does the bent allen key work?  It has nothing to bear on to to compress the spring.  What am I missing? 
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 1050 Sport
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 03:32:08 PM »
Presumably, friction - as you twist the allen key around, the tang will push against the little metal thingy and drag it with it.    No wonder you need to be so precise with the length of the tang, and that if you turn the allen key too far, it clicks back again.

Offline arrybash

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XC
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 11:11:44 PM »
Your theory is probably correct as I have noriced that as I turn the allen key it moves the tumbler but I don't seem to be able to hold it open reliably as just a fraction more turning and it snaps back.

I assumed I had got the tang to short and I was only partly turning the tumbler, but it seems it must just be the friction that is moving it and I was lucky with my trials to get it about right.

2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC
2012 BMW R1200 GS Adventure
2006 Yamaha TTR250
1989 Kawasaki ZX10

Offline Captain Crazy

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XC-R
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 11:25:25 PM »
So here's another QUESTION for you - now we all know HOW to remove a lock from any Triumph pannier or top box, will it mean any low life scrote out there, will start going around taking the locks out any Triumph box they now comes across, to help themselves to what ever is inside?

This will knock the confidence of anyone with Triumph Boxes now (?), as your once (semi) safe gear will now be no longer safe in your 'once' securely locked box?   OR does the barrel need to be in the unlocked position for this 'lock barrel retaining bypass' to work?

Well, there's a thought?
TIGER 800XCR - ''BLACK on BLACK''

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2013, 07:27:54 AM »
No. To open a locked box you need to be able to pick the lock or drill it's core. Removing the lock requires the box to be open in the first place.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline arrybash

• Tiger Member
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2013, 07:09:15 PM »
Don't really want to put the lock back in to find out just in case I can't release it a second time.  However it was in the unlocked position and I would gues that if locked it would not come out.

I now have a queue of mates wanting their locks removed having traded to Explorers and kept their boxes from the Tiger 800. 
2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC
2006 Yamaha TTR250
1989 Kawasaki ZX10

Offline heymaker8705

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: '12 Tiger 800 XC
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2013, 01:00:02 AM »
I tried this today... went through 3-allen wrenches with no luck so far... any other tips for when I try again tomorrow?? I was/am very close the the measurements posted... and on the loose lock I was practicing on, I am able to get every tumbler to go down except the last one that locks it in place  :157:

Offline Hippo

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tigers 80-800
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2013, 01:08:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by arrybash [+]
Don't really want to put the lock back in to find out just in case I can't release it a second time.  However it was in the unlocked position and I would gues that if locked it would not come out.

I now have a queue of mates wanting their locks removed having traded to Explorers and kept their boxes from the Tiger 800.

Can I join the queue?
Seriously, if you are prepared to loan out i'd be very interested. It does look like you have hit on the exact measurement required and if I have a go I suspect i'll be very much in heymakers position ... running out of Allen keys!

Offline arrybash

• Tiger Member
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2013, 11:33:04 PM »
A couple of mates came around on Saturday with a full set of boxes to have the locks removed.

I have to admit I only managed to remove 1 of the 3 locks but between us we did eventually get all 3 out.

The trick seems to be to to feel the pressure on the tumbler being moved and to pull on the barrel at the same time.

I don't believe I hit the perfect dimensions as I was using a bench grinder to cut away the allen key.

Chris   
2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC
2006 Yamaha TTR250
1989 Kawasaki ZX10

Recent Topics