Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What did you do to your Tiger today?  (Read 421846 times)

Online walt

• Tiger Pro
Re: What did you do to your Tiger today?
« Reply #3330 on: December 26, 2018, 11:15:01 PM »
made an extender for my extender, even with a Pyramid extender fitted I was still getting loads of road crap all over the front of the engine, I have a half mile farm track to get home, its usually covered in mud and go's through a field of sheep, sheep dung sticks and hardens like cement (and stinks when it get on exhaust)  lol...hopefully this will help to keep it cleaner, made similar for my last bike and saved loads of effort keeping engine front clean

1st find some suitable stiff but flexible black plastic

cut to shape

Offline sprint

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3331 on: December 27, 2018, 11:05:32 AM »
*Originally Posted by walt [+]
made an extender for my extender, even with a Pyramid extender fitted I was still getting loads of road crap all over the front of the engine, I have a half mile farm track to get home, its usually covered in mud and go's through a field of sheep, sheep dung sticks and hardens like cement (and stinks when it get on exhaust)  lol...hopefully this will help to keep it cleaner, made similar for my last bike and saved loads of effort keeping engine front clean

1st find some suitable stiff but flexible black plastic

cut to shape

What have you done to overcome the rear mudguard deficiency?

Offline Bulldogfour

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRT '17
« Reply #3332 on: December 27, 2018, 11:44:46 AM »
Changed all brake pads for Brembo ones.  Easy when following Muddy Sump's videos.  Whether this will improve braking performance I will find out when the fog clears.
Bikes previous: NSU Quickly moped; Honda C50; Honda 305 scrambler; Yamaha RD350 (x2); Suzuki GT380; Honda NX250; Harley Sportster 1200; Yamaha TDM900; Yamaha 1300 cruiser; Honda CB600F5 Hornet; FJR1300 (x2); Triumph Explorer.

Bikes now: Triumph Tiger 800XRT - one bike less than optimum!

Online Alunr

• Tiger Master
  • Alun
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #3333 on: December 27, 2018, 12:00:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bulldogfour [+]
Changed all brake pads for Brembo ones.  Easy when following Muddy Sump's videos.  Whether this will improve braking performance I will find out when the fog clears.

His videos are good. Mind you, I still managed to put a pair of front pads in back to front the first time I tried. Despite thinking I'd followed the video. DOH!
You're never too old to have a happy childhood :-)

Past Bikes: Panther 600, BSA Bantam, Lambretta TV 175, Lambretta GT200, AJS 125, Suzuki Gladius, Honda NT700. Present: Triumph Tiger 800 ABS

Online walt

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #3334 on: December 27, 2018, 05:47:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by sprint [+]
What have you done to overcome the rear mudguard deficiency?

iv'e fitted a Pyramid shock protector short term, but will go to a hugger soon, probably the R&G one, which keeps the std chainguard

Offline sprint

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3335 on: December 28, 2018, 01:34:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by walt [+]

iv'e fitted a Pyramid shock protector short term, but will go to a hugger soon, probably the R&G one, which keeps the std chainguard

I've also looked at the RG hugger. The consensus is that none of them are really effective as they too short, but the RG one does seem to be a bit longer and so may be better?

It is my understanding that it uses the same fixing points as the chainguard which moves the guard away from the chain, not sure how much of a problem that is?

The shock protector looks to do a good job but will have to be removed  to fit any hugger.

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #3336 on: December 28, 2018, 02:10:15 PM »
I've also looked at the RG hugger. The consensus is that none of them are really effective as they too short, but the RG one does seem to be a bit longer and so may be better?

It is my understanding that it uses the same fixing points as the chainguard which moves the guard away from the chain, not sure how much of a problem that is?

The shock protector looks to do a good job but will have to be removed  to fit any hugger.

I fitted the RG hugger, it does move the guard away from the chain at the back, too much. It didn't stop much of the crud hitting the shock either so I fitted a shocktube. Dunno if there's a downside to that, I haven't removed it to check yet. Lot of dosh for not much protection.

If I'd seen this kit before, I'd have tried it, anybody done this?
https://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/triumph-tiger-800xc-shock-shield--chain-guard-extension-30874-p.asp

Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Online walt

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #3337 on: December 28, 2018, 05:03:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
I fitted the RG hugger, it does move the guard away from the chain at the back, too much. It didn't stop much of the crud hitting the shock either so I fitted a shocktube. Dunno if there's a downside to that, I haven't removed it to check yet. Lot of dosh for not much protection.

If I'd seen this kit before, I'd have tried it, anybody done this?
https://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/triumph-tiger-800xc-shock-shield--chain-guard-extension-30874-p.asp

that's what I have fitted at the moment, yes, it keeps crap off the shock but that's it, which is why I will go with a hugger soon..a hugger has to be a bit better.(I didn't bother with the afterthought chainguard extender)....

Offline JamesEaton

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800XCA
« Reply #3338 on: December 29, 2018, 03:59:43 PM »
New tyres fitted - Mitas E07. They're much anticipated as they're the first set I'll be riding on since the factory fitted set which aren't ideal for off-road...

Offline StretchToo

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XC 2013
« Reply #3339 on: January 18, 2019, 11:56:21 AM »

I've got a hugger and a neoprene shocktube  and honestly I think you're better with the shock protector and possibly a shocktube as well. My hugger and the swingarm are currently covered in mud and sand from an on-road only ride to Cheltenham and back. It only stops the forward fling that the shockprotector catches, everything else sprays radially upwards and showers down, just the same spatter as with the shockprotector. I understand why it's ineffective - it needs to be wider internally and strong so that mud doesn't get wedged in and jam it, but a shock protector is safer for this purpose too.

Just my advice, I'd spend that cash on beer or new blue jeans instead.

Also thanks JamesEaton for the close-ups of the E-07s. I think I might try a set, they seem to be the sweet spot of chunkiness vs road I'm looking for.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 11:58:59 AM by StretchToo »

Recent Topics