Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What did you do to your Tiger today?  (Read 359557 times)

salem and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
Re: What did you do to your Tiger today?
« Reply #3000 on: February 18, 2018, 12:07:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rogue_Shadow [+]
:148:
Basically brain Surgery to me !
Good luck
 :027:

You'd be surprised how straightforward a lot of jobs on the bike really are.
Certainly not as scary as the images may portray or some people may tell you

Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #3001 on: February 18, 2018, 11:24:42 PM »
30A fuse relocation with the aid of a kit from Nick_2112. Managed to pull the terminals out of the holder when I put it back together first, it's surprising how quickly you can do it the second time... As it turned out, the old fuse was absolutely pristine, but given that I ride in all weathers it was a reasonable precaution to take.

Hadn't mentioned it before but I put a pair of Givi handlebar muffs on a few weeks ago. These ones: https://www.givi.co.uk/motorbike-accessories/Safety%20and%20comfort/TM421 They go on over handguards without surgery and there's a velcro strap inside which goes round the handguard so there's no messing around sticking holes in for the handlebar weight screws or anything like that. There's a slit in the top so they accommodate mirrors. I have an XRx with OEM heated grips and foglights, and the switchgear is outside the muffs and not obstructed by them, and all the other switchgear is inside them and easily accessible. They are fugly, but so are all handlebar muffs. I'll take photos some time.
Tiger 800 XRx, Scrambler, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900

Offline Nick_2112

• Tiger Master
« Reply #3002 on: February 19, 2018, 10:10:58 AM »
Hi Mike, glad you got your 30A kit fitted, bet you wouldn't want to change that fuse at the roadside!

A real bad place to put a fuse, but no problem with the fuse relocated.

I would be really interested to see your pics of the Muffs, i'm looking for a pair myself.

Offline julianhj

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger 800
« Reply #3003 on: February 19, 2018, 07:55:16 PM »
I changed the rear pads on mine today using Muddysump's video tutorial. I'm just starting out with this sort of thing, quite enjoy it! I used EBC HH pads.

Offline Alunr

• Tiger Pro
  • Alun
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #3004 on: February 20, 2018, 06:00:01 PM »
Hardwired my Garmin mount to the Power Hub I fitted under the rear seat. Also fitted a new pair of Cree spots. Again wired to the power hub, through a handle bar switch. Changed front brake pads and washed the bike.
You're never too old to have a happy childhood :-)

Past Bikes: Panther 600, BSA Bantam, Lambretta TV 175, Lambretta GT200, AJS 125, Suzuki Gladius, Honda NT700. Present: Triumph Tiger 800 ABS

Offline Tiger4Two

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRT
« Reply #3005 on: February 24, 2018, 05:52:25 PM »
Fitted EBC HH front brake pads. After 9094 miles decided that the Tiger needed proper stopping power despite the fact that the front pads still had some meat on them (as opposed to usable friction material).

So now I can stop properly and safely (especially two-up) and have also been able to determine that the ABS does actually work!

Slowly but surely this Tiger is being tamed!  :028:

Grateful to Muddysump for the instructional video.
Technology. Life was so much simpler before the invention of the wheel!

Offline Alunr

• Tiger Pro
  • Alun
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #3006 on: February 25, 2018, 07:22:21 AM »
+1 on the Muddy Sump video. I find his instruction videos invaluable. Also fitted EBC HH's. Added stainless pins and caps, on recommendation from this site. Old pins were a bit rough.
You're never too old to have a happy childhood :-)

Past Bikes: Panther 600, BSA Bantam, Lambretta TV 175, Lambretta GT200, AJS 125, Suzuki Gladius, Honda NT700. Present: Triumph Tiger 800 ABS

Offline Tiger4Two

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRT
« Reply #3007 on: February 25, 2018, 10:21:05 AM »
*Originally Posted by Alunr [+]
Added stainless pins and caps, on recommendation from this site. Old pins were a bit rough.

Stainless pins and caps will be my next job as mine too were a bit rough although a polish with some fine emery and a coat of copper slip will keep them operational (and removeable) for a while longer.
Technology. Life was so much simpler before the invention of the wheel!

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #3008 on: February 25, 2018, 12:24:14 PM »
Barkbusters and Oxford Hot Grips today

What a ball-ache the grips were.
Pre 'fly by wire' throttle tubes are way too big for the grips and getting them down to ~25.6mm is really a job for a lathe but that's at work and I'm not  :009:

It eventually took a drill in a vice, some threaded rod and other bit's and pieces to mount the thing in a position where I could attack it with files, emery, and even a wood chisel  :114:
That's three hours I'll never get back
Tinkering is what happens when you try something you dont quite know how to do, guided by whim, imagination, and curiosity.

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #3009 on: February 25, 2018, 06:48:55 PM »
...and to conclude my winter 2018 maintenance/upgrade program I've changed the coolant

OK, it's now safe to bring on the good biking weather  :190:

Recent Topics

winded-staunch