Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Putting Together Tool Kit  (Read 3761 times)

Offline Tiger Tale

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 1050 Tiger DR650
Re: Putting Together Tool Kit
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 04:03:46 AM »
I build tool kits custom for each bike. Standard OEM tool kits are pretty much a joke and I replace with high quality tools and test them out
working on the bike in the garage before departure. My tool kits are constantly evolving as I get better ideas to solve problems and eliminate pieces I do not need. Every new bike presents new challenges. And every trip is different in it's requirements. Don't bring tools to re-build your bike on the side of the road. Not going to happen. But DO be prepared to deal with minor issues, crash damage ... and of course ... lending bits and pieces to riding companions on BMW's.  :159: 

The kits pictured below are old and have changed several times since I put them together. But the travel kit is pretty good and has a few things of note:
Valve stem tool ... must for tube type tires
QUIK Aluminum or QUIK Steel ... amazing
Two part JB Epoxy weld
Stick Magnet ... very handy
NOT pictured: Head Lamp ... another must have. Make flashlights obsolete!
Also Not Pictured and very important: Nut & Bolt kit (a nice collection of OEM sized nuts, bolts, washers, springs, doodads)
Spare levers ... even with bark busters it is possible to break a lever. Spares are nice.
Fork Seals. Small, easy to pack. But do you know how to install them?
Fresh Glue to patch tubes, patches
VOM meter, fuses, Crimp type connectors, misc. elec.
Only bring Allen keys that fit your bike. No extras.
ratcheting combo wrenches ... nice  8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 13mm ?? (make sure you're bike uses 13mm) 14mm, 17mm, 19mm
Tire tools for removing axles front and rear
Tire Irons (not shown ... but I carry three)

Cent. America Tool kit for DR650

Tubeless Kit with mini compressor, string plugs, BMW type plugs, CO-2 set up, hand pump (not shown)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 04:09:06 AM by Tiger Tale »

Offline RichardC

• U-turn Champion 2011
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: KTM950SMR+800XC
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 06:44:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tiger Tale [+]
Tubeless Kit with mini compressor, string plugs, BMW type plugs, CO-2 set up, hand pump (not shown)

What are BMW type plugs? Are the items above the CO2 cylinders in the photo? How do they work?

Offline Tiger Tale

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 1050 Tiger DR650
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 06:54:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by RichardC [+]
What are BMW type plugs? Are the items above the CO2 cylinders in the photo? How do they work?
The BMW plugs are the ones in the far, upper left corner. The 3 pack. These are my least favorite plug. But are good for huge holes. They are tricky to install, easy to tear them. But if the hole is big enough, they will go in ... using LOTS OF GLUE as lubricant. I prefer String Plugs. I have two sizes. The Orange ones are my favs. NOTE: no plug will work if your tire has SLIME or Ride-On inside. Plug won't stick. Same with patches on tubes. I don't use Slime or Ride-On on tubeless tires ... only on my tubes. If I get a flat I sacrifice the tube. (always carry spares) A tube with Slime can be repaired but its another thread to explain. A tire shop can do it using old school vulcanizing with real flame and smoke!  :125:

Recent Topics