Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Service videos  (Read 47197 times)

Offline GearHd6

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 98 T595
Re: Service videos
« Reply #150 on: January 27, 2016, 06:15:41 PM »
I've had the bike since new and it's at 8k now so I'm just getting prepared for the 12k service. I'd hate to buy the tools to only use then once but I'm not in love with dealers servicing my bikes either.
2015 Tiger XCx
1998 Daytona T595

Offline RogerRamJet

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tig 800
« Reply #151 on: January 27, 2016, 06:19:58 PM »
Unfortuntely for me the local dealer has no record of service beyond the initial oil change. So no way to know if the 12K reset was done.

Im wondering if it would be possible to do it now @ 24K to ensure it was done?

Any idea the part @ of tools needed to do the reset?

Any chance there is a write up video of the procedure?

Maybe im being overly paranoid as it is @ 24K now... possibly I shouldnt be concerned and assume that as the bike has gotten this far.. assume it was done.

Offline MuddySump

• Non-Active
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
« Reply #152 on: January 27, 2016, 06:30:36 PM »
They never used to get done so I would imagine that not doing it would just be the same as the old 800's.
One possible way of telling when you have the cam cover off is the screws in the sprockets. Some of them were a flat head fitted as standard and when they're replaced its more of a round/button head. Some were coming with the round head ones too. I can get the part numbers for you but not sure of the prices. Might be cheaper just to get the shop to do the timing though since you're only going to be using the tools once
UK based mobile mechanic
Annual service 125
6k service 155
12k service 360
24k service 400

Offline GearHd6

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #153 on: January 27, 2016, 06:38:23 PM »
Yeah, it's about $285 for all the tools. The worst is the torque limiter which is $205.
2015 Tiger XCx
1998 Daytona T595

Offline MuddySump

• Non-Active
  • Tiger Master
« Reply #154 on: January 27, 2016, 06:39:51 PM »
If you've got a torque wrench that goes that low though can just use that
UK based mobile mechanic
Annual service 125
6k service 155
12k service 360
24k service 400

Offline GearHd6

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #155 on: January 27, 2016, 06:50:35 PM »
Converted that's about 5.25 inch lbs. Do they even make them that go that low? I'll have to look.
2015 Tiger XCx
1998 Daytona T595

Offline MuddySump

• Non-Active
  • Tiger Master
« Reply #156 on: January 27, 2016, 06:52:43 PM »
I've got a little snap on screwdriver type torque wrench. Probably cost more but I got it for free off someone
UK based mobile mechanic
Annual service 125
6k service 155
12k service 360
24k service 400

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #157 on: January 28, 2016, 11:04:52 AM »
*Originally Posted by MuddySump [+]
You can check the last 6 digits of your vin number. If it starts from 601012 or later then it's one of the ones that needs the adjustment.

*Originally Posted by MuddySump [+]
I don't even think there is a way of knowing if it has been done if they're not sure.

... and if my experience of questioning the 12k check is anything to go by I wouldn't have any faith that the task was done even if my book was stamped, because ....

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,17178.msg203638.html#msg203638

In fairness my dealer has 'let the mech go' and he was a very experienced guy (mid 40's?), coming to Triumph from a large multi franchise setup. The dealer now has a young mech who may well have attended the required official courses to understand and carry out this task hopefully .... although this will certainly bring the bill back to the higher figures that were being quoted of 750 (and that was a while back).

So with the mechs hint at 'emission requirements' and Muddysumps information about initial cam chain stretch the 2 items together make more sense to me. I guess the only other time this 'one off' would have to be reconsidered would be if (a long way down the road hopefully) the cam chain was renewed.

*Originally Posted by RogerRamJet [+]
Im wondering if it would be possible to do it now @ 24K to ensure it was done?

Maybe im being overly paranoid as it is @ 24K now...

IMO you could do it now, Triumph must have presumably worked out that the initial stretch happens before the initial 12k of running, so it should then have remained pretty much the same from there on. However I don't think I would be that concerned on a bike out of warranty if it is 'emissions' related (unless I suspected a smoky exhaust) .... unless the MOT mob were to introduce emission gas tests for bikes and they were to be applied retrospectively to vehicles pre the proposed new testing.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline MuddySump

• Non-Active
  • Tiger Master
« Reply #158 on: January 28, 2016, 11:34:22 AM »
Don't remember anything about the emissions as one of the reasons for the the chain adjust. Bikes don't even get tested like cars do. Once they leave the factory that is it.
UK based mobile mechanic
Annual service 125
6k service 155
12k service 360
24k service 400

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #159 on: January 28, 2016, 11:59:54 AM »
Hi Dave
As said, this is what I was told by my dealers mech ... for what it is worth. I agree that emissions are not tested like cars but that obviously doesn't excuse a manufacturer complying with the legislation.

If indeed the emission reason given is valid, maybe because most owners will complete the 12k within the makers warranty period they have included the adjustment in the service requirement to maintain the original compliance by their authorised dealers?

Whatever the reason as I will certainly exceed 12k within the warranty period and have the service I certainly hope I get the adjustmenrs I pay for.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Recent Topics

winded-staunch