Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New yamaha  (Read 7599 times)

Offline blizzard800

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 S Adv S
Re: New yamaha
« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2013, 08:36:43 PM »
with the size of the tank it looks like they haven't  :017:

Offline bluesman

• Tiger Master
« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2013, 08:43:16 PM »
it depends. My friends ktm 690 got 12 liter tank but manages up to 300 km out of it on good day and 220 regularly at legal speed.

Offline santacruz

• Tiger Master
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2013, 08:53:21 PM »
The ktm 690 is a single cylinder,yamaha claims 149 miles to emptyon the mt 09,which is poor on an all new bike,the fazer 800 touring bike,the fuel light comes on at 100 miles,crap.

Offline bluesman

• Tiger Master
« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2013, 09:18:03 PM »
149????? this just plain awful. Wow. My thirsty Vtr Firestorm managed 250 km to empty.

Offline santacruz

• Tiger Master
« Reply #84 on: July 04, 2013, 08:08:16 PM »

Offline blizzard800

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 S Adv S
« Reply #85 on: July 05, 2013, 03:52:53 PM »
sounds like a triple on idle but goes all flat when it's revved. How did they manage that ? :017:

Offline Stiger008

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger800
« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2013, 10:37:46 PM »
Yamaha build quality is better than Triumph. I used my street trip through winter and it suffered badly . I then bought a Yam 660 Tenere when I got fed up waiting for the Tiger to be available. I have used it through winter no problems. I have now also got a tiger800 and it is my clean bike and used in the better weather and the tough as old boots Tenere any other time                             Steve

Offline bluesman

• Tiger Master
« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2013, 11:06:35 PM »
Well...my friend with Tenere 660 2008 model was left stranded quite a few times when contacts keep on oxidizing on RR connectors losing bike electricity (known problems in many Yamahas)....plus little things like broken exhaust collector mounts, rusty yokes (or bolts there? No idea) etc.

But 1993 tenere of my other friend still doing just fine.

I think that build quality not just paint quality. But old bikes that were using proper paint (same with cars) were coping much better against winter. When I see how all new cars have that incredibly thin layer of paint and all "orange peel"  and compare it with 15 years old car by same maker I left wondering. Here comes water based paints and airless painting...

Offline Stiger008

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger800
« Reply #88 on: July 07, 2013, 07:29:30 AM »
I needed some white paint for my tiger tank and it too was water based and very expensive but looks great in the sunshine
       Steve.

Offline bluesman

• Tiger Master
« Reply #89 on: July 07, 2013, 10:13:30 AM »
Oh, but it is all water based, on all cars and bikes nowadays. The other stuff simply out of circulation.
But if you happen to walk into new cars dealership take a moment an check any new car (except very top line very expensive models/makes) and check "glare" of paint. It will be all "orange peel" a bit. This is result of ultra thin layers (cost saving) of water based paint (cost and ecology) applied using airless or other tricky method (cost saving and time saving).

When you see that on car - you will be able to detect it on bike too. It is often visible. And Tiger paint is not very bad in comparison, I mean - not bad at all.

But in my experience old kind of paints were better. More scratch resistant, weather resistant and corrosion protecting. I spent lot of time working on bikes and see difference....specially when I have to strip part off paint.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch