Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fitting a centre stand  (Read 1842 times)

Offline Gnasher

• Tiger Master
  • Safe house.. If i can help I will.
  • Bike: 800 XC ,
Fitting a centre stand
« on: June 29, 2013, 01:19:14 PM »
Iv'e just picked up a cheap centre stand , brand new on ebay. Has anyone tried fitting one them selves. The Triumph one seems more complicated that others out there.
If I can help I will.  Gimme a heads up if your out for a ride to Brighton. I live on the seafront and always up for a beer/coffee.

Offline serfies_sa

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Road
Re: Fitting a centre stand
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 02:18:00 PM »
You need a paddock stand, because the side stand needs to come off as well. Look for the instructions on the Triumph site if you didn't get any with the stand.

Offline lancashirelad

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Situation vacant
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 04:23:01 PM »
One of the bolts & the return springs are a pain in the arse to fit other than that its easy  :001:
Previous bikes James 197, BSA C15T, C15 SS80, 68 Bonneville, .....large gap...TY250, Sprite 250, B40 trials, Transalp, Tiger 885i, Tiger 955i, Thunderbird Sport, Tiger 1050, Thunderbird Sport, Tiger 800, Triumph TR5T ????? still pondering what's next!!!

Offline Barn

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XC ABS
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 06:29:04 PM »
They are a PITA!!! Didn't want to purchase the paddock so I had the wife balance the bike for a few minutes at a time while I worked on it! The springs are hard but if you have a tool for your cars brakes it makes it much easier or a long screwdriver! I also had to remove my charcoal canister to install the stand but that's only on the US bikes! Good luck!  :031:

Offline Tex

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 800 'roadie' ABS
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 11:44:37 AM »
Try this...

Offline Captain Crazy

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XC-R
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 01:35:35 PM »
Nice find re: the vid, should help some. Bet the guy who made it though got a bit pissed with his dealer for selling him an early stand with a set of instructions for the later 'modified' one  :138: 

:455: [a little] Also first time I've seen it in the flesh (so to speak), though I have heard about it several times - that EVAP CAN you Americans have to have on your bikes  :004: Now that to me looks a real PITA  :008: So glad we don't get stuffed with them on our bikes over here   :028:
TIGER 800XCR - ''BLACK on BLACK''

Offline Gnasher

• Tiger Master
  • Safe house.. If i can help I will.
  • Bike: 800 XC ,
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 05:07:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tex [+]

Perfect ... Many thanks.
If I can help I will.  Gimme a heads up if your out for a ride to Brighton. I live on the seafront and always up for a beer/coffee.

Offline SpiralGray

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Yamaha FJR1300
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 02:41:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by lancashirelad [+]
One of the bolts & the return springs are a pain in the arse to fit other than that its easy  :001:
That bolt that holds the S-bracket was a major pain. I had a buddy help, there were definitely a few things that were made easier having another set of hands. The spring he claimed was going to result in swearing. He had a tool with a T-handle and a hook at the end (different than what was in the video). I hooked onto the spring, he held the stand up, I pulled and it snapped onto the tang. Took one try and about 15 seconds. Maybe I got lucky.

Offline Guyver

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 09:22:17 PM »
Fitted stand today. Pretty simple apart from the "S" shaped bit that there is no way that I can get a torque wrench near it and that spring!!!

Whoever designed that spring needs shooting.

I can get the bike onto the stand but it's not as easy as other bikes I've owned.

I've got approx 35mm of clearance off the floor when the bike is on the stand.

Offline Seanocaoimh

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 08:33:28 PM »
Just fitted a SW Motech main stand to my tiger 800.
No problem . I didn't have to remove the  sidestand at all.
  Getting the spring on can be a bit of a bollix unless you have the proper tool.

Recent Topics