Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Race Tech and general suspension.  (Read 4037 times)

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
Re: Race Tech and general suspension.
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 08:00:22 PM »
Race Tech say: "Welcome to the wonderful world of valving selection."
"Damping is sensitive to vertical wheel velocity."
"Spring rate is dependent mostly on rider and bike weight."
"Spring rate, pre-load, and Low Speed Compression Damping all affect wallow and bottoming."
They also recco: Ultra Slick 5w Fork Fluid -- "This extremely slippery, non-shearing formula has been scientifically proven to reduce stiction. Many riders thought we did special polishing to their forks because of the amazing reduction in friction."
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 11:19:49 PM by AvgBear »
"Working on a motorcycle, working well, caring, is to become part of a process, to achieve an inner peace of mind.
The motorcycle is primarily a mental phenomenon."
Robert M. Pirsig

Offline walker

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800xc
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 02:25:50 AM »
I believe they have gold valves available, but they are not cheap... I want to say those are $500 or so? Then you have to get springs - not a big cost. It's interesting replacing the OEM crappy valves with the better racetech units (from what I have seen). the total cost there would be close to $700?

Traxxion dynamics can rebuild your forks = but it's more $$$ (shipping and labor + parts would run roughly $1300). However, they use a better valving system / cartridge, and it's then externally adjustable for rebound and compression. Plus, they really know their stuff. The rebuild also has new springs, which really help. Costs twice what the racetech solution offers, and you have to send the forks off since they will drill out the OEM fork caps to have the adjusters accessible. Totally different thing. On a 800xc it's questionable, on the roadie it may be worth it.

If you just want a higher spring rate, there are a lot of options. If you're worried about the crappy damping, that's more $$$.

Offline Sheller

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2012 XC
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 02:14:00 PM »
Race Tech has added parts and info on the Tiger 800s on their website. 

I'd be interested in getting gold valves for the front end if it weren't for the fact that the bushings are shot and my right fork tube is gouged from the clutch cable rubbing it.  I need to get Triumph to fix these problems before I put money into these inferior forks.

Offline halfast3

• Tiger Master
  • Olde Phart
  • Bike: '12 T800 ABS
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 12:30:43 AM »
*Originally Posted by walker [+]
I believe they have gold valves available, but they are not cheap... I want to say those are $500 or so? Then you have to get springs - not a big cost. It's interesting replacing the OEM crappy valves with the better racetech units (from what I have seen). the total cost there would be close to $700?

Traxxion dynamics can rebuild your forks = but it's more $$$ (shipping and labor + parts would run roughly $1300). However, they use a better valving system / cartridge, and it's then externally adjustable for rebound and compression. Plus, they really know their stuff. The rebuild also has new springs, which really help. Costs twice what the racetech solution offers, and you have to send the forks off since they will drill out the OEM fork caps to have the adjusters accessible. Totally different thing. On a 800xc it's questionable, on the roadie it may be worth it.

If you just want a higher spring rate, there are a lot of options. If you're worried about the crappy damping, that's more $$$.
Correction. Traxxion supplies replacement fork caps and will return your old parts to you. You can also buy their cartridge kit and do the installation yourself...I did.
Why do I get strange looks when I say my hobby is "curves"?

Offline walker

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800xc
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2013, 11:14:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by halfast3 [+]
Correction. Traxxion supplies replacement fork caps and will return your old parts to you. You can also buy their cartridge kit and do the installation yourself...I did.

on the T800 yes - the 800xc has a different size fork (45mm vs 43mm), and they drill out the OEM caps. I spoke with them about it before sending my forks in a few weeks back. Right now, there is no drop in kit for the 800xc - so yes, for the 800 folks (which is this sub forum) they do the drop in kit, or will do the work and give you shiny new fork caps. Good correction!

Offline halfast3

• Tiger Master
  • Olde Phart
  • Bike: '12 T800 ABS
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 09:01:41 PM »
Thanks for the clarification. I just assumed the XC used a longer version of the AK20 cartridges which fit the Roadie...
I'll try to pay better attention next time. :034:
Why do I get strange looks when I say my hobby is "curves"?

Recent Topics

winded-staunch