Triumph Tiger 800 Forum

Tiger Explorer 1200 => Tiger Explorer 1200 - now "Read Only" => Topic started by: AvgBear on December 23, 2015, 04:48:29 PM

Title: Some Guy Named Charley
Post by: AvgBear on December 23, 2015, 04:48:29 PM
Rides a TEX:
(https://images.weserv.nl/?url=www.motorcyclepowersportsnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/NUIeOyU7RV2YF3cIFlgFoumecn17NWIcP_vwgocPnUc.jpg)
Title: Re: Some Guy Named Charley
Post by: Derchef1962 on December 23, 2015, 05:43:24 PM
looks more like sitting than riding to me, wonder how much he got for sitting on that bike..
Title: Re: Some Guy Named Charley
Post by: Stevie.P on December 23, 2015, 05:53:28 PM
*Originally Posted by Derchef1962 [+]
looks more like sitting than riding to me, wonder how much he got for sitting on that bike..

+1.   As I recall from his 'Long Way Around the World' adventure with Ewan he is a KTM fan, although he threw a hissy fit with them when they declined to supply the bikes, believing the pair would fail. Their completion of the adventure on Beemers didn't do BMW any harm that's for sure. I personally doubt the Tex would have been up to it, from a frame strength point, not engine.
Title: Re: Some Guy Named Charley
Post by: Jamstealer on December 23, 2015, 06:44:40 PM
Well all 3 of the Beemers had broken frames too; but the only one they admitted to was the camera man's one. The other two were quietly swapped.
Title: Re: Some Guy Named Charley
Post by: WylieCoyote45 on December 23, 2015, 06:54:05 PM
Am sure that on LWR they were upfront about Ewan and Claudio's bikes snapping? On LWD is was BMW's cheese rear shocks that gave up.
Title: Re: Some Guy Named Charley
Post by: D8ona on December 23, 2015, 07:01:05 PM
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
+1.   As I recall from his 'Long Way Around the World' adventure with Ewan he is a KTM fan, although he threw a hissy fit with them when they declined to supply the bikes, believing the pair would fail. Their completion of the adventure on Beemers didn't do BMW any harm that's for sure. I personally doubt the Tex would have been up to it, from a frame strength point, not engine.
Lol they had 6 OR 8 Bms.... and welded quite a few frames along the way... and the cameraman ended up riding a 20 year old Russian 2 stroke to get anywhere.... there is far more to that whole story than is public... find out how much BMW PAID them to take beemers.... however still enjoyed watching it and certainly got folks interested in having Starbuck Specials adventure bikes to sit alongside their M3s and X5s..
ps the S1000XR has taken over the garage queen crown as its more expensive.... :125:
Title: Re: Some Guy Named Charley
Post by: Stevie.P on December 23, 2015, 07:32:51 PM
Yes I did remember the fractured frame, etc. but still believe the Beemers faired better than any of the Triumph 'Adventure Bike' range could have managed without multiple times any off screen 'help' the BM's received.  :027:
Title: Re: Some Guy Named Charley
Post by: Jamstealer on December 23, 2015, 08:14:00 PM
They should have done it on C90s.

Problem is that this Charlie and Ewan nonsense means that everyone thinks you need a mega expensive specialist "adventure "monster bike to do it, when a simple 250 single would actually be much better . ( if you really object to a C90)
Title: Re: Some Guy Named Charley
Post by: WylieCoyote45 on December 23, 2015, 08:28:39 PM
Lyndon Poskitt on his Ktm single seems to be doing fine...though it is practically a rally raid bike with trick big bore engine and Nova gearbox
Title: Re: Some Guy Named Charley
Post by: Andylaser on December 23, 2015, 10:16:18 PM
*Originally Posted by D8ona [+]
find out how much BMW PAID them to take beemers....
Where might we find this info? :)
Title: Re: Some Guy Named Charley
Post by: Rtwo on December 23, 2015, 10:21:05 PM
*Originally Posted by Jamstealer [+]
They should have done it on C90s.

Problem is that this Charlie and Ewan nonsense means that everyone thinks you need a mega expensive specialist "adventure "monster bike to do it, when a simple 250 single would actually be much better . ( if you really object to a C90)

The ground clearance on a C90 is terrible, I managed to wreck the cylinder and head on one, or it may have been a 70 ??  :001:

Anyway, a CG125 with some traily tyres would be ideal

Title: Re: Some Guy Named Charley
Post by: Andylaser on December 24, 2015, 10:21:24 AM
I reckon the Rally Raid CB500X would be a serious contender for a long off road adventure.

(https://images.weserv.nl/?url=ssl:farm4.staticflickr.com/3813/19560998102_3812e3e96f_c.jpg)
Title: Re: Some Guy Named Charley
Post by: Jamstealer on December 24, 2015, 10:55:03 AM
If you want a " proper" Adventure motorbike , that is reasonably priced; very capable, and not over designed and full of useless crap, then there is only one choice:  CCM 450

http://www.ccm-motorcycles.com/gp450.asp
Title: Re: Some Guy Named Charley
Post by: fac191 on December 24, 2015, 11:39:19 AM
Oh, I will never watch tv again. I just can't believe how contrived it is.
Title: Re: Some Guy Named Charley
Post by: WylieCoyote45 on December 24, 2015, 01:54:50 PM
*Originally Posted by Jamstealer [+]
If you want a " proper" Adventure motorbike , that is reasonably priced; very capable, and not over designed and full of useless crap, then there is only one choice:  CCM 450

http://www.ccm-motorcycles.com/gp450.asp
Test ridden one and loved it.
Title: Re: Some Guy Named Charley
Post by: D8ona on December 24, 2015, 03:29:26 PM
*Originally Posted by Andylaser [+]
Where might we find this info? :)
Horses mouth.... :084: or maybe someone who trained them in off roading... :084: or both...  :084:
Title: Re: Some Guy Named Charley
Post by: KildareMan on December 24, 2015, 04:09:50 PM
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
Yes I did remember the fractured frame, etc. but still believe the Beemers faired better than any of the Triumph 'Adventure Bike' range could have managed without multiple times any off screen 'help' the BM's received.  :027:

Pure and utter speculation and therefore utter poppycock.

As I recall the young guy who's just finished a rtw on the 800cx lately had very few problems and certainly no broken frames, or fried electronics.
Title: Re: Some Guy Named Charley
Post by: DaMonk45 on December 24, 2015, 08:52:00 PM
 
*Originally Posted by KildareMan [+]
Pure and utter speculation and therefore utter poppycock.

As I recall the young guy who's just finished a rtw on the 800cx lately had very few problems and certainly no broken frames, or fried electronics.

 :493:
Title: Re: Some Guy Named Charley
Post by: grizzlybear on December 25, 2015, 10:18:13 AM
You mean Chris Bowen, he done a cracking blog  :028:
https://cnbworldtour.wordpress.com/category/western-australia/

Title: Re: Some Guy Named Charley
Post by: paul_o on December 25, 2015, 05:56:14 PM

*Originally Posted by Jamstealer [+]
If you want a " proper" Adventure motorbike , that is reasonably priced; very capable, and not over designed and full of useless crap, then there is only one choice:  CCM 450

http://www.ccm-motorcycles.com/gp450.asp
Quoted for truth!
Title: Re: Some Guy Named Charley
Post by: KildareMan on December 28, 2015, 09:46:01 AM
I'd go for the Honda with the Rally Raid level 3 upgrade over the CCM.  But since I already have the Tiger that'll have to do.  :001:
Title: Re: Some Guy Named Charley
Post by: Mike31 on December 30, 2015, 10:42:31 AM
why not the Tiger 800 ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HHBgXsMFPo. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HHBgXsMFPo.)

 
Title: Re: Some Guy Named Charley
Post by: av8or on July 26, 2016, 10:50:07 AM
Over here in Aus some guys use CT110 Honda "postie bikes" to cross the Simpson. Desert, a feat which would have Charlie sooking it up like he did when he rode the Dakar
Title: Re: Some Guy Named Charley
Post by: Jamstealer on July 26, 2016, 11:19:47 AM
Those postie bikes are really the business .

Friend of mine has just done the round Australia tour on one; now she is going back to do it the other way round


 
Title: Re: Some Guy Named Charley
Post by: av8or on July 26, 2016, 11:35:53 AM
*Originally Posted by Jamstealer [+]
Those postie bikes are really the business .

Friend of mine has just done the round Australia tour on one; now she is going back to do it the other way round


 

Wow, tell her to stop at Mansfield, Victoria and we will buy her a meal !
Title: Re: Some Guy Named Charley
Post by: Burt on October 14, 2016, 09:26:22 PM
*Originally Posted by AvgBear [+]
Rides a TEX:
(https://images.weserv.nl/?url=www.motorcyclepowersportsnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/NUIeOyU7RV2YF3cIFlgFoumecn17NWIcP_vwgocPnUc.jpg)


Hey... I know this guy... He became famous here in Australia because he farted live on TV... His name was...hold on... ah yes Thingy or Whinger...not sure  :001: