Triumph Tiger 800 Forum

Tiger 800 - Main Discussion Section => Tyres and Wheels => Topic started by: Trickytiger on October 06, 2019, 03:45:11 PM

Title: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: Trickytiger on October 06, 2019, 03:45:11 PM
 :001:  Hello everyone I have just bought my first tiger 800xc 2013 and it's ready for a new pair of tyres. It's currently on square Pirelli's which are down to the limit. I know tyres are a real personal preference but I have not had adveture bike before so looking for some advice. It's on 90 90 21 front and 150 70 17 rear both VR rated. I am having to change the dog bones to drop 40mm as I'm only 5'6". It will be mainly road and some light off road. Any guidance much appreciated thanks. Also any gentle green lanes for West Yorkshire would help
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: Paulhere on October 06, 2019, 05:18:37 PM
M&P were doing a deal with a freebie of a Optimate4 or lock & chain.

I got these for my XR
https://www.mandp.co.uk/products/metzeler-roadtec-01-110-80-r19-150-70-r17-tyre-pair-mettp-0010

Dropping the bike 40mm via the dog bones will likely need side & centre stands altering to suit. You may get away with it without altering on 25mm lower but it'll be a good pull to pop it on centre stand or need a run up plank.
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: Silverstripes on October 06, 2019, 06:19:23 PM
My XRT is on Metzler roadtech 01's as well. Brilliant in the dry and wet.
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: KildareMan on October 06, 2019, 06:28:02 PM
Sell the cc and get a roadie then put the standard seat in the low position. Lowering an xc by 40mm means dropping the front at least 20 to keep the geometry right ISH. There will be little travel left and ground clearance will be poor.
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: Paulhere on October 06, 2019, 06:33:41 PM
*Originally Posted by Silverstripes [+]
My XRT is on Metzler roadtech 01's as well. Brilliant in the dry and wet.

Looking forward to trying them. I was reasonably happy with the Tourance next but they've gone off badly since my recent mainly motorway trip to Sweden/Denmark rallies squared the back one, the front is worse, following every ripple. Plenty of tread left but they've done 10.5k miles so owe me nowt.

My new tyres should be here t'morra.
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: Tigermainia on October 08, 2019, 09:08:50 AM
*Originally Posted by Silverstripes [+]
My XRT is on Metzler roadtech 01's as well. Brilliant in the dry and wet.

Mine too  :0461:
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: D6864 on October 08, 2019, 01:28:18 PM
*Originally Posted by Silverstripes [+]
My XRT is on Metzler roadtech 01's as well. Brilliant in the dry and wet.
No use for the OP's XC though!

Michelin Anakee 3 working well for me, still good with over 9000 miles of gentle use.
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: Paulhere on October 09, 2019, 05:20:12 PM
Malc at Bolly fitted my new Metz R01 tyres today, 30/pair ride in/out. Luverly nice round tyres, had to go scrub um in. Now we know new tyres alluz feel better than the worn out square ones we took off, but these R01's really suit this bike, none of that tramlining, on over-banding, white lines & ripples in the hardtop. Had so much fun, 98 miles, didn't want come home..til the rain came down.

I went for the R01's over the Mich PR4 or Road5 'cos the latter are the trail version for 19" wheels & imo shouldn't be mixed with std rear, each to their own on that. The R01's AFAIK are same compound in 19" as they are in 17". Unless anybody knows different for sure. Anyway, they are the dogs danglies in my book.

The Tourance Next we took off had plenty of tread left but had really gone off after 10,500 miles. I found them ok for the first few thousand miles, handled fine.

BTW mobile Plod with a scamera in Chapel-en-le frith, opposite the old copshop. The speed limit drops from 50 to 40 to 30 where he was, easy to miss that 30 sign.


Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: ADNauseum on October 19, 2019, 10:11:35 PM
I changed from pirellis to Michelin anakee adventures on my 15xcx, the flatter profile means the front feels much more stable. 3k on them so far, would highly recommend (not brilliant on wet grass or mud though!).
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: louthtiger on October 20, 2019, 08:27:52 AM
For mainly road use Michelin Anakee 3, I've had five sets on two XC's and they average 12k miles. The standard tyres, Pirelli Scorpions and Bridgestone Battlewings only lasted 8k miles and went off badly at the end. Michelins may cost a bit more up front but cost per mile is much lower.   
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: taff on October 20, 2019, 10:35:42 AM
I've also have 5 sets of Anakees on my xc, they suit the bike perfectly IMO.

I briefly tried a pair of bridgestones but had to get rid of them after about 5k miles because they were that bad on damp roads
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: Uczbpha on October 22, 2019, 11:24:15 AM
I've just ordered a set of Anakee 3's to try, its my first Tiger so happy to try a few different sets to see what I prefer personally. It came with Roadtec 01's which are a great road tyre as i've had them on my XJR1300 previously, they were however very badly squared off, I think the previous owner rode everywhere in a straight line.... :001: :001: :001:

This time I fancied a set or road bias duel sport tyres as i intend travelling on some unpaved and gravel roads as well this year, Anakee 3 sounds like they will fit the bill and still give good mileage at a reasonable price, I'll let you know how I get on with them  :062:
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: Flyingbanana on October 24, 2019, 01:52:54 PM
Sorry to maybe ask the obvious as i am new to the Tiger world but just picked up a Tiger 800 ABS 2013 & tyres are ruined. Will these M & P Netz Roadtec 01 be good for my bike.

And is the link on here to the correct size as i have not got a clue what the Tiger takes & she is packed in tight now with all my other toys & want to order these quickly

ta

alan
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: Paulhere on October 24, 2019, 02:03:35 PM
*Originally Posted by Flyingbanana [+]
Sorry to maybe ask the obvious as i am new to the Tiger world but just picked up a Tiger 800 ABS 2013 & tyres are ruined. Will these M & P Netz Roadtec 01 be good for my bike.

And is the link on here to the correct size as i have not got a clue what the Tiger takes & she is packed in tight now with all my other toys & want to order these quickly

ta

alan

If it's the XR, you got the 19"/17" so you can have Metz R01. You need to put it in your bike details, you just got Tiger 800. Don't think they do it in 21".
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: Flyingbanana on October 24, 2019, 02:11:04 PM
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
If it's the XR, you got the 19"/17" so you can have Metz R01. You need to put it in your bike details, you just got Tiger 800. Don't think they do it in 21".

It is just the model - Tiger 800 ABS on the log book. So the 17'' it is but it does look like there is a strong lean to the Metz 01. Thats a massive thanks Paul.
Looks like M&P deal is out of stock, hey hoo
alan
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: Paulhere on October 24, 2019, 02:16:22 PM
*Originally Posted by Flyingbanana [+]
It is just the model - Tiger 800 ABS on the log book. So the 17'' it is but it does look like there is a strong lean to the Metz 01. Thats a massive thanks Paul.
Looks like M&P deal is out of stock, hey hoo
alan

Mebbe they didn't name them XR & XC on the early models, I didn't have one. So if yours are 19f/17r you're ok with the R01's, they are good, I have another bike with the PR4's, I prefer the R01's.....up to now, dunno how they wear yet. The PR4's gave very good mileage.
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: Flyingbanana on October 24, 2019, 02:25:26 PM
 
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
Mebbe they didn't name them XR & XC on the early models, I didn't have one. So if yours are 19f/17r you're ok with the R01's, they are good, I have another bike with the PR4's, I prefer the R01's.....up to now, dunno how they wear yet. The PR4's gave very good mileage.

 :493:
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: healdem on October 24, 2019, 05:27:16 PM
original realease models were
Tiger 800 and Tiger 800 ABS with the 19" front wheels.. the roadie, that morphed into the XRx 17" rear, 19" front
AND
Tiger 800 XC and Tiger 800XC ABS 17" rear 21" front.
Roadies and XRx have cast allow wheels, XC & XCx  have spoked wheels

...so Paulhere's is the more recent iteration of your bike

Ive sworn at the OEM Pirelli's but pleased with PRx Roadsmarts and now the Avons.

As long as they are black, round and have just the two holes either side, they do me fine.
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: Djairouks on October 25, 2019, 08:58:01 AM
On my Honda the continentals TA2 lasted 16'000Km this definitelly was the best I got so I'm tempted to get the new TA3, don't know if anyone did try them !?

I hear all the praise on Roadtecs, but some small roads here being pretty cracked, having dirt on or gravel I think it makes more sense for me to stay on 90/10 or up to 70/30 tyres, or do Roadtecs handle well these kind of road situations !?
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: Uczbpha on October 25, 2019, 10:55:30 AM
I'm in the Uk and ride a XRX Tiger currently wearing Roatec 01's. As a road tyre they are brilliant and give awesome grip in the wet, as you I now fancy doing some unpaved, small lanes and gravel as well as our A & B roads, for this reason I am changing to the Anakee 3. a 90 / 10 tyre. Roadtecs strong suit is not these type of roads for me, I've had both the front and rear slide a bit on the more minor of roads with loose gravel hence me wanting to try a change  :028:
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: Djairouks on October 25, 2019, 11:40:21 AM
*Originally Posted by Uczbpha [+]
I'm in the Uk and ride a XRX Tiger currently wearing Roatec 01's. As a road tyre they are brilliant and give awesome grip in the wet, as you I now fancy doing some unpaved, small lanes and gravel as well as our A & B roads, for this reason I am changing to the Anakee 3. a 90 / 10 tyre. Roadtecs strong suit is not these type of roads for me, I've had both the front and rear slide a bit on the more minor of roads with loose gravel hence me wanting to try a change  :028:

Thanks I know know I won't install Roadtechs then, I am still also wondering about the Karoo street, my Yamaha tech has them on a 1200 tenere and says the grip is stuppendous.

I just realised the Tourance next on my bike are allready square after 5000Km, what sh*t tires these things are, it's baffling my Continentals would square after about 10'000Km only.
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: Uczbpha on October 25, 2019, 01:15:48 PM
I did an Adventure day in wales with Honda and their Africa Twin with Karoo street fitted, off road they were great, on road they were pretty god as well, a bit noisy on certain tarmacs, they never let go or forced the traction control to kick in on that day, but to be fair a it was a strange to me bike and it was only one day I wasn't really pushing it too hard!

It sounds like most 90 / 10 tyres would suit your needs, My Anakees 3's are going on next week end, I'll let you know what i think if your not changing yours before then? 
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: Djairouks on October 25, 2019, 01:34:30 PM
*Originally Posted by Uczbpha [+]
I did an Adventure day in wales with Honda and their Africa Twin with Karoo street fitted, off road they were great, on road they were pretty god as well, a bit noisy on certain tarmacs, they never let go or forced the traction control to kick in on that day, but to be fair a it was a strange to me bike and it was only one day I wasn't really pushing it too hard!

It sounds like most 90 / 10 tyres would suit your needs, My Anakees 3's are going on next week end, I'll let you know what i think if your not changing yours before then?

The Honda can be pushed a lot, I had a serious crah once but now riding the Tiger, I have to say chassis is much stiffer and position at least for me standing, is much more efficient.

Thanks mate looking for your feedback, but honestly not sure about anakees, because I really hated the road 4 and pretty much all previous ones, that my mechanic told me were great, to me wet grip of Continentals is better than Michelins, I know I'm not in the majority but really can't stand these road 2, 3, 4...
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: Uczbpha on October 31, 2019, 03:22:21 PM
Mechanic has called and told me Anakee 3's are no longer available from his suppliers as they are discontinued, there is old stock available if you shop around apparently, so I'm going with The Anakee Adventure, watch this space for updates.
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: StretchToo on November 01, 2019, 04:16:29 PM
I've got the Anakee 3s, they came on the bike. Fabulous road tyre incredible grip on dry roads, bit slippy on gravel, nothing you wouldn't expect from such a road-oriented tyre.
I rode them off the edges round Scotland the other week, and had no problems on Cam High Road. I've thinking Anakee Adventures next.

Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: SJW on November 02, 2019, 09:22:27 AM
Anyone tried the new dunlop trailmax missions?  I need new rubber in the spring and these have really good initial reviews for a 50/50 tyre.

 :417:
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: Djairouks on November 02, 2019, 03:37:40 PM
*Originally Posted by SJW [+]
Anyone tried the new dunlop trailmax missions?  I need new rubber in the spring and these have really good initial reviews for a 50/50 tyre.

 :417:

You mean these https://www.dunlop.eu/fr_ch/motorcycle/why-dunlop/trailmax_meridian.html ? Can't find them on european site  :087:

I Wonder really, because original trailmax were on my Honda AT and let me tell you, these were the most awfull wet grip ever, basically no one used them, because they had no grip Under the rain, so hopefully these are much different.
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: AvgBear on November 02, 2019, 05:26:00 PM
*Originally Posted by Djairouks [+]
You mean these https://www.dunlop.eu/fr_ch/motorcycle/why-dunlop/trailmax_meridian.html ? Can't find them on european site
I think he means these:
https://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/tire-line/mission/
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: Djairouks on November 02, 2019, 05:28:56 PM
*Originally Posted by AvgBear [+]
I think he means these:
https://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/tire-line/mission/

I don't see this tire in Europe, so don't know where it's coming from  :084: !
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: healdem on November 05, 2019, 10:30:47 AM
*Originally Posted by Djairouks [+]
I don't see this tire in Europe, so don't know where it's coming from  :084: !

see:- (https://www.dunlop.eu/fr_ch/motorcycle/tires/trailmax_meridian.TRXMERIDIA.html#/)
for an  XRT I'm guessing you want
for the front either 636384 (the oem size) or 636385 (the size everyone replaced the OEMS becuase it was tricky to find 100/90 at launch way back in 2011)
and 636387 for the rear.
the 636xxx number is the dunlop product code, but you'd be foolish if you didn't specify the actual size  :138:

but check the speed an load rating to make certain its right for you
V Rated is upto 240KMH

I'm sure the speed and load rating are good enough is, but totally against the spirit of the internet, you really do need to satisfy yourself that what is being said is accurate  :492:
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: Djairouks on November 05, 2019, 11:22:43 AM
*Originally Posted by healdem [+]
see:- (https://www.dunlop.eu/fr_ch/motorcycle/tires/trailmax_meridian.TRXMERIDIA.html#/)
for an  XRT I'm guessing you want
for the front either 636384 (the oem size) or 636385 (the size everyone replaced the OEMS becuase it was tricky to find 100/90 at launch way back in 2011)
and 636387 for the rear.
the 636xxx number is the dunlop product code, but you'd be foolish if you didn't specify the actual size  :138:

but check the speed an load rating to make certain its right for you
V Rated is upto 240KMH

I'm sure the speed and load rating are good enough is, but totally against the spirit of the internet, you really do need to satisfy yourself that what is being said is accurate  :492:

What's certain is here in Switzerland, if you buy a lower speed rating and get into an accident, the insurance company will make problems or totally deny payments, because you used out of spec tires...

As I don't need 50/50 tires myself, I found a french adventure site with a guy on a Tiger XCA and apparently the Anakee adventure are really great according to his test, so I think I'll try these as he said they outperformed the TKC70, which to me were the best tires I've ever had on my Honda.
It's also a good point this tire has 2 compound hardnesses, his test said the tire does not get square, which is the only complaint I had on the TKC70s, because of my  boring daily commute the tires get square pretty fast usually.
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: Uczbpha on November 05, 2019, 01:00:18 PM
Glad to hear this, i've just had a set of Anakee Adventure fitted to my XRX, not tested them yet so will update next week sometime.
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: Uczbpha on November 24, 2019, 10:55:57 AM
Ok, soma few weeks in with the Anakee Adventures, due to the time of year and the weather Ive not really been able to put them through their paces but first impressions are good, not too noisy, quite a plush comfortable feel, quite grippy in the wet normal road use when wet, looking forward to the better weather and popping over to Normandy next year to see how they really get on 👍
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: Tiggerton on November 24, 2019, 03:18:59 PM
Maybe I am cynical but wouldn't any tyre, no matter what manufacture, be slippy on loose gravel or on wet leaves for that matter?

Regards
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: Djairouks on November 24, 2019, 05:02:31 PM
*Originally Posted by Tiggerton [+]
Maybe I am cynical but wouldn't any tyre, no matter what manufacture, be slippy on loose gravel or on wet leaves for that matter?

Regards

Not really, I had a Dunlop tire on my Honda, it would slip no matter what you did, unless it  was sunny 30C outside, these were absolutely dangerous in wet conditions.

Then the new Bridgestone I put on my Yamaha, the S31 surprisingly even doesn't slip on light gravel, it's almost magical.
So you can find better tires for certain !
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: penry on November 25, 2019, 05:15:12 AM
Tyres are a very personal item. Not cheap, so once bought and fitted most of us are kinda 'stuck' with them for the next few thousand miles. Not good if you then find have no confidence in them.

I'm a fan of the reviews this guy does - on bikes ( well overdue a test on the Tiger 800 XC though ),  biking gear, and riding skills.

If you're not already happily married to a particular set of boots for your bike, have a watch of this video. Its varied, easily digestible and tells you all you need to know.

/>
I have done many thousands of  'road miles' on the following in all weathers and they are grippy, plenty of feel and return good mileage.

Bridgestone Battle Wings,
Metzeler Tourance,
Continental Trail Attack.

OK, its a fairly short list but I'm not paid to test tyres so spend my own hard earned. I'm progressive and experienced road rider and when I find a tyre I like I tend to stick with it ( excuse the pun ). :155:







 
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: Djairouks on November 25, 2019, 05:52:18 AM
*Originally Posted by penry [+]
Tyres are a very personal item. Not cheap, so once bought and fitted most of us are kinda 'stuck' with them for the next few thousand miles. Not good if you then find have no confidence in them.

I'm a fan of the reviews this guy does - on bikes ( well overdue a test on the Tiger 800 XC though ),  biking gear, and riding skills.

If you're not already happily married to a particular set of boots for your bike, have a watch of this video. Its varied, easily digestible and tells you all you need to know.

/>
I have done many thousands of  'road miles' on the following in all weathers and they are grippy, plenty of feel and return good mileage.

Bridgestone Battle Wings,
Metzeler Tourance,
Continental Trail Attack.

OK, its a fairly short list but I'm not paid to test tyres so spend my own hard earned. I'm progressive and experienced road rider and when I find a tyre I like I tend to stick with it ( excuse the pun ). :155:

I think the battlewings are now retired, so you might not find them for a long time, it was replaced by the A41 tested on my Honda, they are okay but not the level of Continentals in my opinion in the wet.

I've heard from my Honda riders, that strangely the latest Trail attack 3 are not so good in the wet, that the 2 were really better, I did something like 16'000km on a pair of TA2, they squared awfully in the end but still good.

My favorite of all times for wet and versatility, are still the TKC 70 of need slightly more off roading.

My dealership advised the Anakee adv, they said the last triumph test they did,  the people showing roads and tracks were going really hard and saying these tires are great on the tiger, so I'll try these as planned.
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: penry on November 25, 2019, 07:14:36 AM
*Originally Posted by Djairouks [+]
I think the battlewings are now retired, so you might not find them for a long time, it was replaced by the A41 tested on my Honda, they are okay but not the level of Continentals in my opinion in the wet.

I've heard from my Honda riders, that strangely the latest Trail attack 3 are not so good in the wet, that the 2 were really better, I did something like 16'000km on a pair of TA2, they squared awfully in the end but still good.

My favorite of all times for wet and versatility, are still the TKC 70 of need slightly more off roading.

My dealership advised the Anakee adv, they said the last triumph test they did,  the people showing roads and tracks were going really hard and saying these tires are great on the tiger, so I'll try these as planned.

B*gger re the TA 3's then  :023:. I had TA2's on my 1150 GSA and they were great from the word go. Really liked them.

I don't offroad at all so its something 90% road biased for me with the 'chunky style' tread pattern adventure bike tyres typically come with as OE.

Battle Wings still available here ( My 2019 XCA came with them as OE ).
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: Djairouks on November 25, 2019, 07:49:38 AM
*Originally Posted by penry [+]
B*gger re the TA 3's then  :023:. I had TA2's on my 1150 GSA and they were great from the word go. Really liked them.

I don't offroad at all so its something 90% road biased for me with the 'chunky style' tread pattern adventure bike tyres typically come with as OE.

Battle Wings still available here ( My 2019 XCA came with them as OE ).

When I bought my 2014 Yamaha that was left in a dealership with no miles for years, because in 2014 the MT line began and no one wanted the "old one", it still had the BT016 from stock, so your bike having these doesn't mean much, when the bike is done they put tires on them, yours might have been produced in 2018, but it seems at least here the Battlewings are not purchased anymore by tyres vendors.

I don't offroad much either you know, it's just that chunkier patterns can give you a slight advantage on gravel and in heavy rain, also the those had crazy good mileage and grip, that's why I used them in Norway or Sweden.
In spain I was back on TA2, they did better with the Spanish Heat than the TKC.
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: penry on November 25, 2019, 08:17:11 AM
*Originally Posted by Djairouks [+]
When I bought my 2014 Yamaha that was left in a dealership with no miles for years, because in 2014 the MT line began and no one wanted the "old one", it still had the BT016 from stock, so your bike having these doesn't mean much, when the bike is done they put tires on them, yours might have been produced in 2018, but it seems at least here the Battlewings are not purchased anymore by tyres vendors.

I don't offroad much either you know, it's just that chunkier patterns can give you a slight advantage on gravel and in heavy rain, also the those had crazy good mileage and grip, that's why I used them in Norway or Sweden.
In spain I was back on TA2, they did better with the Spanish Heat than the TKC.

Annakees look similar to the type of tyres I generally stick on my Adv bikes, see how the Battlewings go and maybe try them when I replace them.
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: Paulhere on November 25, 2019, 02:13:29 PM
Battle wings imo are really a road tyre, ok for our badly potholed rough roads and replaced by the A41 in Jan 2018.

The Trail wings commonly known as "Deathwings" are still listed as an adventure tyre, imo ok for a bit of hard packed gravel. The A41 looks to be a better tyre, going off some of the forum reviews.

http://www.cambriantyres.co.uk/bridgestone/battle-wing-bw-501-bw-502/

http://www.cambriantyres.co.uk/bridgestone/trail-wing/
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: AvgBear on November 25, 2019, 06:17:27 PM
*Originally Posted by Trickytiger [+]
...800xc 2013 and it's ready for a new pair of tyres.
...not had adventure bike before so looking for some advice.
It will be mainly road and some light off road.
Any guidance much appreciated thanks.
Also any gentle green lanes
This thread has offered much advice for road-going tires -- but, since the OP has an XC and is intending to ride off-road, I'd say those posters recommending more "adventure-style / block tread" tires are doing the OP good service.
Tires like Michelin Anakee Adventure or Dunlop Trailmax Mission Adventure or similar offer the kind of tread that helps propel the back tire in low traction situations (off-road) and - maybe more important? - may help the the front tire 'stick' when it would be very unfortunate to slide.
Traction off-road may trump on-highway performance / wear -- when riding in uncontrolled environments?
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: taff on November 25, 2019, 09:44:37 PM
I had a pair of the Bridgestones (A41?)on my XC a while ago, it must have been when they first came out in early / mid 2018.

I had thrown them away long before winter came and it got wet every day. bloody awful tyre on damp road. fine in the dry, fine in heavy rain. but on a damp road they were truly awful.

they are the only tyre that I've ever thrown away before using all of the tread. I went back to the Anakee btw   :031:
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: Djairouks on November 26, 2019, 05:39:00 AM
*Originally Posted by AvgBear [+]
This thread has offered much advice for road-going tires -- but, since the OP has an XC and is intending to ride off-road, I'd say those posters recommending more "adventure-style / block tread" tires are doing the OP good service.
Tires like Michelin Anakee Adventure or Dunlop Trailmax Mission Adventure or similar offer the kind of tread that helps propel the back tire in low traction situations (off-road) and - maybe more important? - may help the the front tire 'stick' when it would be very unfortunate to slide.
Traction off-road may trump on-highway performance / wear -- when riding in uncontrolled environments?

Op said light off-road, I did off-road on TA2 and TKC70 although on my Africa twin back then, I honestly didn't feel much difference, for Rocky forest roads, grass and even dry packed dirt, the speed you'd have to go to feel a difference, I would say you'd need training and then wouldn't ask for light off-roading tires, would you have that level of skill I think, because you could do more off-roading.

On the A41, I had them on my Honda before selling it, they weren't awful, surely less wet grip than Continentals to me,  but still you felt when they would slip, the tires I find worse than these A41 are the tourance next, freaking bad because they suddenly slip without warning.

There are still the Metzeler karoo street, but I've heard very mixed things on them so difficult to really know.
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: Paulhere on November 26, 2019, 10:00:34 AM
*Originally Posted by taff [+]
I had a pair of the Bridgestones (A41?)on my XC a while ago, it must have been when they first came out in early / mid 2018.

I had thrown them away long before winter came and it got wet every day. bloody awful tyre on damp road. fine in the dry, fine in heavy rain. but on a damp road they were truly awful.

Ha, sounds about right, the more off road biased a tyre is, the worse it will be on wet tarmac.

I have Metz Unicross on my off-road bike, I sure wouldn't like to ride a 230kg bike on a damp road with them rascals. Brill off-road though. IRC do very good off-road tyres. Honda like them. Bridgestone Gritty are good grip in clag but wear quickly.
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: Djairouks on November 26, 2019, 10:10:32 AM
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
Ha, sounds about right, the more off road biased a tyre is, the worse it will be on wet tarmac.

I have Metz Unicross on my off-road bike, I sure wouldn't like to ride a 230kg bike on a damp road with them rascals. Brill off-road though. IRC do very good off-road tyres. Honda like them. Bridgestone Gritty are good grip in clag but wear quickly.

Not necessarily, the TKC70 have been so far the best wet tarmac tires that I've had on a trail, even better than Michelins and it's supposed to be a 70/30 tire, while the A41 being 90/10 fares worse.

Also had sport touring tires which were total shite under rain, while not designed for off-road at all, so it depends from tire to tire really.
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: JMc on November 26, 2019, 01:27:41 PM
I loved the TKC70's on my Tiger and will be replacing the OEM ones on my XCX early next year, they have just added to the TKC70 range and i hope its as good and the older versions, especially in the wet and they were excellent.  :046:

https://www.continental-tires.com/motorcycle/tires/motorcycle-tires/off-road-enduro/tkc-70-rocks

Jmc
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: Djairouks on November 26, 2019, 02:14:36 PM
*Originally Posted by JMc [+]
I loved the TKC70's on my Tiger and will be replacing the OEM ones on my XCX early next year, they have just added to the TKC70 range and i hope its as good and the older versions, especially in the wet and they were excellent.  :046:

https://www.continental-tires.com/motorcycle/tires/motorcycle-tires/off-road-enduro/tkc-70-rocks

Jmc

Interesting I didn't hear any news about this thanks, it seems they just changed the rear center to more threaded blocks, but the tech specs seem unchanged though.
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: Stevie.P on November 26, 2019, 02:27:20 PM
I followed the 'selector' route for tyres for my bike away from the posted link and was shown the standard TKC70's (though the sizes are available in the new tyre) and it took me a moment to realise that the tread was different from the TKC70 Rocks . it would surely have been clearer to have given the new tyre a different model designation, maybe TKC75 between the standard TKC70 and the chunkier TKC80. :027:
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: JMc on November 26, 2019, 03:34:45 PM
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
I followed the 'selector' route for tyres for my bike away from the posted link and was shown the standard TKC70's (though the sizes are available in the new tyre) and it took me a moment to realise that the tread was different from the TKC70 Rocks . it would surely have been clearer to have given the new tyre a different model designation, maybe TKC75 between the standard TKC70 and the chunkier TKC80. :027:

Yes that does seem to be the general consensus among the forums, it would make life a little easier when ordering etc.  :138:

Jmc
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: Paulhere on November 26, 2019, 04:19:07 PM
What sort of terrain are the TKC70 good on? My last off-road bike came with Pirelli MT60's, they look far more aggressive than TKC70's. They were ok on tarmac or rocky stuff but useless on any loose or soft ground. I binned them & fitted some decent road legal enduro tyres. Some have different compounds for different conditions eg soft, medium & hard, get the wrong ones & you won't be happy. Most tyres sold as 90/10 - 70/30 imo should be classed as winter tyres for the road. Good for the conditions we have right now in the PDNP.

Mich hard & medium compounds
https://www.endurotyres.com/michelin-enduro-medium-xtrem/

Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: Djairouks on November 26, 2019, 04:49:59 PM
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
What sort of terrain are the TKC70 good on? My last off-road bike came with Pirelli MT60's, they look far more aggressive than TKC70's. They were ok on tarmac or rocky stuff but useless on any loose or soft ground. I binned them & fitted some decent road legal enduro tyres. Some have different compounds for different conditions eg soft, medium & hard, get the wrong ones & you won't be happy. Most tyres sold as 90/10 - 70/30 imo should be classed as winter tyres for the road. Good for the conditions we have right now in the PDNP.

Mich hard & medium compounds
https://www.endurotyres.com/michelin-enduro-medium-xtrem/

Again you can't generalize and put all 90/10 and 70/30 in the same lot, some are just road tires with the looks of adventure and honestly the TKC70 most people do pretty good off- roading with these, some even say they are more 60/40, the 70/30 is Continental marketing.

When I did a BMW riding day closer to my home, I had the TKC and then they made us test their R1200GS with full knobbies, I honestly never felt my 240ish kg Honda slip or lose traction with the Continentals and we did the same with the BMWs, no difference to me on moderately lose dirt and in a rock quary where we rode.

I do see lots of people thinking they need knobbies, while they don't really have the competence to ride so hard, that these tires would be really needed, at least that's my experience seeing my dirtbike competition friend go crazy on my Honda with these tires without much issues.
Heck I ain't got these competences either, at least on huge adventure bikes like the Honda and BMW, so the TKC seemed good for everything to ride dirt and quarries up till 60kmh, above I didn't feel safe on knobbies nor the TKC.
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: Paulhere on November 26, 2019, 06:03:04 PM
Wrong person answer!

Hard work on here lately. This is off-roading and cannot be done on silly tyres.

Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: Djairouks on November 26, 2019, 09:01:09 PM
*Originally Posted by Paulhere [+]
Wrong person answer!

Hard work on here lately. This is off-roading and cannot be done on silly tyres.

/>

Pretty nice you're lucky to live up there, here in Switzerland we have amazing nature, but dirt riding is mostly forbidden... You can only go on tracks and then it's very limited, because the neighbors always complain about the noise and of course being Switzerland it's expensive !

Honestly to my point about the tires, I love the tiger, or Africa twin and others, but I would not do stuff like the gritiest on your video, with a +200kg expensive motorcycle, that's why I think these TKC and the like are more than enough.
As shows your video btw, all you guys have proper dirt bikes, it's just safer.

Anyway back to topic OP said light off roading, so TKC70 will easily do that.
Title: Re: NEW TYRES REQUIRED
Post by: tauzero on November 28, 2019, 09:51:04 PM
*Originally Posted by taff [+]
I had a pair of the Bridgestones (A41?)on my XC a while ago, it must have been when they first came out in early / mid 2018.

I had thrown them away long before winter came and it got wet every day. bloody awful tyre on damp road. fine in the dry, fine in heavy rain. but on a damp road they were truly awful.

they are the only tyre that I've ever thrown away before using all of the tread. I went back to the Anakee btw   :031:

I've got them on my XRx. They're fine in the damp (most morning at the moment), though most of my 1500 miles a month are motorway and dual carriageway. I'm also very restrained in damp and wet weather, having had more offs in the wet than the dry.