Triumph Tiger 800 Forum

Marketplace - For Sale / Wanted => Items "Wanted" => Topic started by: coddy on May 31, 2020, 07:37:21 PM

Title: Replacement Levers Wanted
Post by: coddy on May 31, 2020, 07:37:21 PM
Dropped my bike today and broke the clutch lever, not sure why the hand guards didn't protect it but I suppose that's why they are called hand guards and not lever guards!

Anyone got one lying around unwanted?

# Updated: got rear ended by another bike and and snapped off the brake lever now!

Has anyone got a pair of std Levers or quality aftermarket (not Chinese copies) they can sell me?

Title: Re: Replacement Levers Wanted
Post by: coddy on June 29, 2020, 09:15:49 PM
If no one has any levers lying about to sell can anyone recommend a pair of decent aftermarket one's?
Title: Re: Replacement Levers Wanted
Post by: Tiggerton on June 29, 2020, 10:25:37 PM
I have just ordered a Tiger 800 2018 replacement clutch lever blade from here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/mandpdirect

About £16

I bought one a few years ago and it was indistinguishable from the original so here's hoping.

Regards
Title: Re: Replacement Levers Wanted
Post by: K1W1 on June 29, 2020, 11:55:25 PM
*Originally Posted by coddy [+]
If no one has any levers lying about to sell can anyone recommend a pair of decent aftermarket one's?

Make sure that you get ones specifically designed for a post 2015 Tiger otherwise you will find that your next post will be "why does my fuel gauge and cruise control not work?".
The existing ones are most likely only broken at the fracture point just inside the ball so are still perfectly workable and it is always good to put them under the seat for use in an emergency later on.
Title: Re: Replacement Levers Wanted
Post by: coddy on June 30, 2020, 06:44:30 AM
Thanks K1W1

I like the look of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AS3-ADJUSTABLE-BRAKE-CLUTCH-LEVERS-SHORT-TRIUMPH-TIGER-800-11-18-1050-07-16/143456800450?redirect=mobile but they advertise them as for Tigers from 2011 which wouldn't have cruise control. Should I avoid them do you think?
Title: Re: Replacement Levers Wanted
Post by: K1W1 on June 30, 2020, 07:03:22 AM
Send them a question through eBay asking for confirmation that they are compatible with 2015 or new Tigers equipped with cruise control and that the cruise control will work. The newer design levers will fit the old bike so given that it is 5 years on you would expect that the levers will work because if they didn't the company would know about it.
Title: Re: Replacement Levers Wanted
Post by: fac191 on June 30, 2020, 11:32:34 AM
I have a standard clutch but its not adjustable. You can have it free if it helps you out. From a 2012 Roadie.
Title: Re: Replacement Levers Wanted
Post by: tauzero on June 30, 2020, 11:44:40 AM
You could always get the right ones for a quarter the price: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-CNC-Clutch-Brake-levers-For-Triumph-TIGER-800-XC-XCX-XR-XRX-2015-2017/133239350532 (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-CNC-Clutch-Brake-levers-For-Triumph-TIGER-800-XC-XCX-XR-XRX-2015-2017/133239350532)
Title: Re: Replacement Levers Wanted
Post by: Derchef1962 on June 30, 2020, 01:03:20 PM
*Originally Posted by fac191 [+]
I have a standard clutch but its not adjustable. You can have it free if it helps you out. From a 2012 Roadie.
wont work properly with cruise control and fuel gauge
Title: Re: Replacement Levers Wanted
Post by: Derchef1962 on June 30, 2020, 01:05:02 PM
go for aftermarket levers, I have foldable ones, dropped the bike couple of years ago, levers just folded up and did not break. Much better adjustment also. The ones I have are sold under the "V-Trec" brand
Title: Re: Replacement Levers Wanted
Post by: coddy on June 30, 2020, 07:41:19 PM
*Originally Posted by tauzero [+]
You could always get the right ones for a quarter the price: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-CNC-Clutch-Brake-levers-For-Triumph-TIGER-800-XC-XCX-XR-XRX-2015-2017/133239350532 (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-CNC-Clutch-Brake-levers-For-Triumph-TIGER-800-XC-XCX-XR-XRX-2015-2017/133239350532)

Unfortunately they're not only Chinese copies but only recommended for 2015-2017 models.
Title: Re: Replacement Levers Wanted
Post by: coddy on June 30, 2020, 07:42:57 PM
*Originally Posted by fac191 [+]
I have a standard clutch but its not adjustable. You can have it free if it helps you out. From a 2012 Roadie.

Thanks for the offer but I need a pair for a 2018 model. 😉
Title: Re: Replacement Levers Wanted
Post by: Djairouks on June 30, 2020, 08:32:44 PM
When I worked in custommer service years ago, my chinese colleague brought me to a place,
in Shanghai where you'd find a lot of things that you understood, were actually not copies but
made in china for some fancy European brands…
I have seens some Givi products, different lever brands and other stuff, he said that when a
company asks them for 10'000 units, they Simply do 11'000 and not brand the 1K excess
and sell them directly.

Bought me some nice levers on Aliexpress for my Yami and Tiger, absolutely flawless, even my
current mirrors, are basically Rizoma but for a quarter of the price.
Title: Re: Replacement Levers Wanted
Post by: coddy on June 30, 2020, 08:59:51 PM
That may well be true but is it worth the risk of grabbing a handful of brake lever in a emergency only to find the Chinese copy that saved you a few quid has snapped under the pressure?

Not for me, just not worth the risk after spending 10K on the bike I'd much rather spend an extra 50 pounds/euros/dollars on some proven levers.
Title: Re: Replacement Levers Wanted
Post by: Djairouks on June 30, 2020, 09:10:05 PM
*Originally Posted by coddy [+]
That may well be true but is it worth the risk of grabbing a handful of brake lever in a emergency only to find the Chinese copy that saved you a few quid has snapped under the pressure?

Not for me, just not worth the risk after spending 10K on the bike I'd much rather spend an extra 50 pounds/euros/dollars on some proven levers.

How many times I've heard this, dude if there was a Failure that bad you'd see it, because
if you can bend steel or even aluminium of 5mm square profile, with you bare hands on such,
small distance with 2 fingers, well you're Hercules !
Also aluminium levers are machined, not smelt in molds like OEM steel levers, so unless you
can see a crack, there can't be air pockets and Failure points.

But of course everyone is free to use their money as they see fit, but again might be the
exact same as the expensive brand, not copies.
Title: Re: Replacement Levers Wanted
Post by: chico on June 30, 2020, 09:52:20 PM
Four of my bikes have the Chinese levers, some are more than five years old and still work and look like new. One should consider that the "expensive" name brands including Triumph OEM levers are made in factories not in the UK. As  Djairouks said it's your money to waist if it makes you feel better. :125:

Chico
Title: Re: Replacement Levers Wanted
Post by: rubbertoe on June 30, 2020, 10:41:22 PM
I heard that the genuine Triumph levers for the tiger are being hand made in Birmingham in an underground shop managed by the peaky blinders. I filed the broken end of my broken front brake lever smooth and used it for months before buying a set of cool black and red Chinese ones for $30 dollars delivered and so far they are working great.
Title: Re: Replacement Levers Wanted
Post by: K1W1 on June 30, 2020, 10:47:15 PM
*Originally Posted by coddy [+]
That may well be true but is it worth the risk of grabbing a handful of brake lever in a emergency only to find the Chinese copy that saved you a few quid has snapped under the pressure?

Please name ONE case where that has happened. You are talking sh*t and displaying nothing except your racial preferences.
FWIW I would put money on the fact that the OEM Triumph levers also come from a factory in Asia and that they cost Triumph a fraction of the price we would pay for even the cheapest auction site product so please do not ride your bike again ever from a safety point of view.
Title: Re: Replacement Levers Wanted
Post by: coddy on July 01, 2020, 06:34:31 AM
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
Please name ONE case where that has happened. You are talking sh*t and displaying nothing except your racial preferences.



Not sure why you felt the need to be abusive and I'm extremely disappointed to be inferred as a racist.

I was "told off" for having cheap Chinese levers on my Street Triple by none other than Triumph mechanic Clive Wood and I share his belief that a pair of £30 levers from China won't be as good a quality as £90 ones from a well known European manufacturer. If that makes a Green Party voting, open minded liberal such as me racist then the World truly is in a bad place.
Title: Re: Replacement Levers Wanted
Post by: Djairouks on July 01, 2020, 06:59:07 AM
*Originally Posted by coddy [+]

Not sure why you felt the need to be abusive and I'm extremely disappointed to be inferred as a racist.

I was "told off" for having cheap Chinese levers on my Street Triple by none other than Triumph mechanic Clive Wood and I share his belief that a pair of £30 levers from China won't be as good a quality as £90 ones from a well known European manufacturer. If that makes a Green Party voting, open minded liberal such as me racist then the World truly is in a bad place.

I agree the namecalling is a shame, but you still don't seem to get the point, a 20$ chinese lever structurally will be
the same as a 100$ homologated one, you really think fancy brands use aeoronautic aluminium, or crazy aloys ?
A lever is a lever, it's nothing technically advanced, don't be fooled by branding and marketing.

The only thing some chinese products are worse at, is that the colouring or anodizing might wear off faster in the sun,
otherwhise as Chico said, my Africa twin for 3 years had these my Yamaha 3 years too and while the red ones on my
Honda colour faded, there's absolutely nothing to worry.

My previous job was in material science, in material properties tests and stress tests, so I'm not the kind to use sh*t
material on my bike.
Title: Re: Replacement Levers Wanted
Post by: tcbandituk on July 01, 2020, 09:17:35 AM
I've seen someone spat off their bike when their cheap brake lever caused the brake fluid to boil and lock the brakes.
The lever was machined incorrectly and the tab that operated the brake cylinder was too long.

I could tell you the country of origin for the lever but wouldn't want to be called racist  :015:
Title: Re: Replacement Levers Wanted
Post by: Djairouks on July 01, 2020, 09:21:43 AM
*Originally Posted by tcbandituk [+]
I've seen someone spat off their bike when their cheap brake lever caused the brake fluid to boil and lock the brakes.
The lever was machined incorrectly and the tab that operated the brake cylinder was too long.

I could tell you the country of origin for the lever but wouldn't want to be called racist  :015:

You mean the rider caused the fluid to boil, I don't see how you can attribute this to a lever, if you brake like an arse and fluid boils, I would say it's your fault.
Nothing in lever rigidity or lack thereof, or material will have an effect on fluid temperature, braking too damn hard all the time will, it's the rider feeling at fault then.

This also is hardly a street riding issue, only on track can you maybe have this issue.
Title: Re: Replacement Levers Wanted
Post by: tcbandituk on July 01, 2020, 09:30:19 AM
You make a lot of incorrect assumptions.

It was an accident on a return ride at a flyers meeting.
Because of this (insurance involved etc) the problem was investigated and the lever was found to be the cause.
The conclusion was the braking from the flyer (not heavy braking as there's plenty of room) warmed the fluid up slightly, the slight
expansion caused wouldn't have been a problem if it had been a std or properly machined lever.
But, because the tab was slightly longer than normal, it didn't allow the pads to back off properly, resulting in the overheating as they rode back (thankfully at a lot lower speeds) down the fire lane.
You could see the difference between a std lever and the offending item visually.
Title: Re: Replacement Levers Wanted
Post by: Djairouks on July 01, 2020, 09:46:24 AM
*Originally Posted by tcbandituk [+]
You make a lot of incorrect assumptions.

It was an accident on a return ride at a flyers meeting.
Because of this (insurance involved etc) the problem was investigated and the lever was found to be the cause.
The conclusion was the braking from the flyer (not heavy braking as there's plenty of room) warmed the fluid up slightly, the slight
expansion caused wouldn't have been a problem if it had been a std or properly machined lever.
But, because the tab was slightly longer than normal, it didn't allow the pads to back off properly, resulting in the overheating as they rode back (thankfully at a lot lower speeds) down the fire lane.
You could see the difference between a std lever and the offending item visually.

Sorry for my assumptions, with full story it's easier not making false asumptions ! Before you said liquid boiled, now it slightly overheat, hum, exaggerated much, that's why I assumed crazy braking.

I'll say it again it's his fault, because if the lever geometry makes your pads rub the disks when not braking, it's something you should not be mounting on the bike, I personally check my brakes before any ride, to check if pads are okay and no leaks, especially if you say the lever geometry difference was detectable by sight.

Be it fancy brand or "cheap Chinese", brakes are too damn important to just mount "wrong" parts and not check, I would think this is obvious to people but apparently not.

Call me cynical if you want, I'm sorry for your friend, no one wants to crash ever, but I'm curious who ordered this investigation, the insurance ?
Title: Re: Replacement Levers Wanted
Post by: tcbandituk on July 01, 2020, 10:10:01 AM
*Originally Posted by Djairouks [+]
Well with full story it's easier not making false asumptions ! Before you said liquid boiled, now it slightly overheat, hum, exaggerated much.

Please misquote me accurately when making these assumptions  :015:
I said 'warmed the fluid up' not 'slightly overheated' on the braking from the flyer.
They boiled on the slow run back down the fire road.

*Originally Posted by Djairouks [+]
Call me cynical if you want, I'm sorry for your friend, no one wants to crash ever, but I'm curious who ordered this investigation, the insurance ?

I can't believe you're cynical, possibly wrong, even if you are obviously the perfect mechanic/rider/tuning guru....

The investigation was done by the organisers in case an insurance claim was made.
As it was the rider took full responsibility because he hadn't checked that the lever was accurately made by a foreign entity who were obviously seeking to undermine his reputation.  :001:



Can you tell I don't like someone more or less calling me a liar?
Title: Re: Replacement Levers Wanted
Post by: Djairouks on July 01, 2020, 10:25:32 AM
*Originally Posted by tcbandituk [+]
Please misquote me accurately when making these assumptions  :015:
I said 'warmed the fluid up' not 'slightly overheated' on the braking from the flyer.
They boiled on the slow run back down the fire road.

I can't believe you're cynical, possibly wrong, even if you are obviously the perfect mechanic/rider/tuning guru....

The investigation was done by the organisers in case an insurance claim was made.
As it was the rider took full responsibility because he hadn't checked that the lever was accurately made by a foreign entity who were obviously seeking to undermine his reputation.  :001:



Can you tell I don't like someone more or less calling me a liar?

Wow, what ? I did not attack you personnaly man, nor called you a liar, just checking what to me seemed
questionable claims, so please refrain painting me as a know it all that think he's the best and maybe stay
on the facts, which is what is in question here not my person, thank you !
There are many subjects on which I don't claim knowledge, but I'm an engineer that had an eclectic career,
so I will give my thoughts on such subjects I am versed in, as I'm sure you do the same.

The issue with the "chinese crap" mentality, is that a lot of things are made in china, just rebranded and I'm
just always calling out the mentality. You need to check parts for what they are individually, making gross
generalizations is plain stupid, bad parts are bad parts, it's not simply a factor of price or origin.

I am skeptical, not calling lies, because let's not be naive insurance companies wish to find faults, to pay less
that's what they do. Because to me a overheating liquid creates fade, not braking lock, but I am totally open
to the possibility this is a complicated issue or a detail got lost, but I find it's a bit of a shortcut to just believe
all such minority stories and make a generalization with it, that's how so many "legends" still pertain today in
the motorcycling world, that have little grounding in reality.
I think we can agree this is perfectly reasonable isn't it ?

You're free to think what you want and not use these levers, I have no qualms about it.
Title: Re: Replacement Levers Wanted
Post by: tcbandituk on July 01, 2020, 10:40:03 AM
OK, I think we'll have to agree to disagree....


And to bring this back to the discussion.
"to me a overheating liquid creates fade"
As far as I understand it, any fluid that boils will expand, which certainly won't cause fade in a brake system unless it boils off altogether...

With regard to the levers of indeterminate origin, I have personally seen issues with a number them, but none with OE levers.
That said, this is over a period of time so who knows, they might be better now?
Title: Re: Replacement Levers Wanted
Post by: gordybrock on July 01, 2020, 10:42:38 AM
*Originally Posted by tcbandituk [+]
...I could tell you the country of origin for the lever but wouldn't want to be called racist  :015:

 :008: :492: yeah, the insult was a bit OTT
Title: Re: Replacement Levers Wanted
Post by: Djairouks on July 01, 2020, 11:54:06 AM
*Originally Posted by tcbandituk [+]
OK, I think we'll have to agree to disagree....


And to bring this back to the discussion.
"to me a overheating liquid creates fade"
As far as I understand it, any fluid that boils will expand, which certainly won't cause fade in a brake system unless it boils off altogether...

With regard to the levers of indeterminate origin, I have personally seen issues with a number them, but none with OE levers.
That said, this is over a period of time so who knows, they might be better now?

I'm not sure exactly what you don't agree with, but it's fine we all have different opinions on some stories,
what counts in the end is your friend wasn't too hurt and defective levers were changed.

So on the fade issue I'm affraid you're in the wrong here, brake fluid does expend when warm but we have
the reservoir made for this reason, that's why it's not completely full and the slight expension with heat will
just make the fluid level slightly higher.
The lever pushes fluid "down" through the brake lines to the calipers, if the level expends from heat in the
reservoir, the pressure available from applying the lever does not change, the air at the top of the reservoir
will compress.

If you don't believe me read the link bellow, where they explicitly say heating fluid causes fade in the calipers,
even worse if it would boil, there would be cavitation and it would be as if air was in the line, so no more brake
power to stop your vehicle.
https://mocktheorytest.com/resources/overheating-brakes-and-brake-fade-what-can-you-do/
Therein lies my problem, maybe the lever were sh*t, no one made up the accident story, but brake fluid overheating
and locking the brakes are opposite situations, so to me something is missing here.

If you didn't have experience with those new "chinese levers", then maybe listen to the other people here that
also said they never had issues with them.

I'm glad we got back on a fair discussion, it's what we all are here for, thanks man !

Title: Re: Replacement Levers Wanted
Post by: D6864 on July 01, 2020, 12:10:28 PM
*Originally Posted by tcbandituk [+]
As far as I understand it, any fluid that boils will expand, which certainly won't cause fade in a brake system unless it boils off altogether...
Boiling fluid is precisely the cause of brake fade - the vapour bubbles created are compressible and prevent you from raising sufficient brake pressure.

Anyway, pleased that you acknowledge the rider's responsibility for not checking that the lever fitted and functioned correctly.

I'm another very satisfied user of <large far eastern country's> levers.
Title: Re: Replacement Levers Wanted
Post by: Derchef1962 on July 01, 2020, 03:53:16 PM
coming back to the op...
I can say one thing: from my experience with the proverbial "cheap chinese" levers on three bikes I never had trouble with them breaking or anything else severly other than in a crash (see below).
However on my bobber the fuel gauge was not working properly as the adapter bit was not right and a nob was missing to press a micro-switch, got a replacement from the dealer within days, everything fine now.

Another thing worth to note: wifey dropped her Ducate Scrambler with said levers (unfortunately not the foldable ones) so lever broke off or so I thought. In fact the lever was still perfect only the adapter bit was broken, replacement was 15 Euros + postage, so we saved money on this. If the OEM levers break they go straight to the bin.
Title: Re: Replacement Levers Wanted
Post by: Djairouks on July 02, 2020, 05:19:46 PM
So today I happen to get delivery of my chinese levers, modified the clutch for proper cruise control
switch engagement, the tab for that was plain missing.

But then when swapping for the new brake lever, I noticed the OEM actually did slightly push on the
brake piston maybe 0.5mm, when in resting position, which is not the case of the chinese replacement.

So I find this pretty funny after the debate here, I'm very happy with these levers.

(https://photos-cdn.tiger800.co.uk/levers.jpg)