Triumph Tiger 800 Forum

Tiger 800XC - The Off Road Board => Tiger 800XC - General Discussion => Topic started by: tonyf on December 25, 2011, 10:09:44 PM

Title: Tiger 800XC Vibration
Post by: tonyf on December 25, 2011, 10:09:44 PM
Lovin my Tiger been getting out and about this last week, about 200 miles or so in lovely wet mid-Wales.  All road based riding though.  Does anyone else have vibration when over 6-7000 RPM through the footrests?

Is this a common 'feature'?
Title: Re: Tiger 800XC Vibration
Post by: Bert the tigger on December 26, 2011, 10:23:37 AM
May just need to get some more miles on it, not run in until at least 12'000 miles
Title: Re: Tiger 800XC Vibration
Post by: wheeler on December 26, 2011, 11:48:06 AM
to tonyf...it is normal that the engine vibration transfers to footpegs.
To Bert... engine is "run in" in the first 500 kilometers of its life (believe it or not).
Title: Re: Tiger 800XC Vibration
Post by: dcolak on December 26, 2011, 04:02:46 PM
*Originally Posted by tonyf [+]
Lovin my Tiger been getting out and about this last week, about 200 miles or so in lovely wet mid-Wales.  All road based riding though.  Does anyone else have vibration when over 6-7000 RPM through the footrests?

Is this a common 'feature'?

Yup, footpegs and handlebars too.
Title: Re: Tiger 800XC Vibration
Post by: tonyf on December 26, 2011, 04:31:58 PM
Thanks all!!  Sounds like nothing to worry about.
Title: Re: Tiger 800XC Vibration
Post by: wheeler on December 26, 2011, 05:11:12 PM
you can look on it like this...this are the "good vibrations" :123:
Title: Re: Tiger 800XC Vibration
Post by: Orange XC on April 20, 2012, 10:34:13 PM
 Hi all, I'm also getting a vibration through the bike but at around 4000rpm, it almost feels like dry transmition but strangely seems to get worse when cornering left. I was aware of it from day one, I've covered around 2000 miles now and it ain't getting any better. I test rode a brand new bike before I ordered mine and that one was smooth as silk. I'm just doing battle with the dealer trying to get a Triumph test rider to ride it but I'm getting nowhere fast.
 Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Title: Re: Tiger 800XC Vibration
Post by: digitalcaptive on April 20, 2012, 10:50:41 PM
Its difficult for me to comment really, having come from an Africa Twin I have to say the Tigger is probably the least vibey bike I've ever ridden even moreso than my old 955 :034:
Title: Re: Tiger 800XC Vibration
Post by: Simon Smith on April 20, 2012, 11:04:41 PM
Mine had the footrest vibes to start with, and no, it's not run in at 500Km, mine took about 2000 miles before it started to feel smooth.
Title: Re: Tiger 800XC Vibration
Post by: CarlS on April 20, 2012, 11:06:23 PM
I have no such vibration with my XC.
Title: Tiger 800XC Vibration
Post by: Marsh Tiger on April 21, 2012, 01:28:29 AM
I get some mild vibration on my XC. Seemed to get worse after I installed the engine guards.
Title: Re: Tiger 800XC Vibration
Post by: jenkspj on April 21, 2012, 06:26:41 AM
Some other reports of vibration appearing after fitting engine bars. I rode the EX yesterday and the engine viabrated noticably. It had engine bars fitted. Makes me wonder...

The XC was in for service at the time: when it came back the chain had been adjusted to the specified travel, I'd had it lose, 1050 style. Much smoother....Seems that the geometry of the speocket and swing arm mean that if the chain is lose it rubs more on the rubbing blocks and that passes viabration to the left foot peg.
Title: Re: Tiger 800XC Vibration
Post by: SelinaXC on April 21, 2012, 06:02:21 PM
No vibes on my XC, but previous bike was a 660 single....
Title: Re: Tiger 800XC Vibration
Post by: Marsh Tiger on April 22, 2012, 07:25:39 AM
*Originally Posted by jenkspj [+]
Some other reports of vibration appearing after fitting engine bars. I rode the EX yesterday and the engine viabrated noticably. It had engine bars fitted. Makes me wonder...

The XC was in for service at the time: when it came back the chain had been adjusted to the specified travel, I'd had it lose, 1050 style. Much smoother....Seems that the geometry of the speocket and swing arm mean that if the chain is lose it rubs more on the rubbing blocks and that passes viabration to the left foot peg.

My chain is due for adjustment. It will be interesting to see how much that helps.  As for the engine bars, I'm sure that they amplify the slight vibrations of the engine.
Title: Re: Tiger 800XC Vibration
Post by: BigMike on April 22, 2012, 10:35:57 AM
No vibration for me at all, and I have engine bars.  Maybe do a good check round all your bolts for correct torque.
Title: Re: Tiger 800XC Vibration
Post by: Rocket on April 22, 2012, 02:49:48 PM
Mines a bit more vibey at 4000 rpm but otherwise smooth. Noticed a few more tingles occasionally when bike was newer ie less than 2000 miles but has improved with age. Only other thing I notice, once or twice after a thorough cleaning of chain, it sometimes feels a bit more vibey, but this soon wears off.
Title: Re: Tiger 800XC Vibration
Post by: HughRipper on April 23, 2012, 12:05:25 PM
I agree. My XC is still being run in and has less than 200 kms and I notice it being vibey around 4k rpm. Its a bit hard to judge it though when you have to pull out at 5k.

*Originally Posted by Rocket [+]
Mines a bit more vibey at 4000 rpm but otherwise smooth. Noticed a few more tingles occasionally when bike was newer ie less than 2000 miles but has improved with age. Only other thing I notice, once or twice after a thorough cleaning of chain, it sometimes feels a bit more vibey, but this soon wears off.
Title: Re: Tiger 800XC Vibration
Post by: knocky on July 01, 2018, 11:54:24 PM
*Originally Posted by Orange XC [+]
Hi all, I'm also getting a vibration through the bike but at around 4000rpm, it almost feels like dry transmition but strangely seems to get worse when cornering left. I was aware of it from day one, I've covered around 2000 miles now and it ain't getting any better. I test rode a brand new bike before I ordered mine and that one was smooth as silk. I'm just doing battle with the dealer trying to get a Triumph test rider to ride it but I'm getting nowhere fast.
 Any thoughts would be appreciated.


I am having the same issues with my 2012 xc dealer seems to think there is nothing wrong with the bike.
Title: Re: Tiger 800XC Vibration
Post by: chuckxc on July 02, 2018, 12:15:03 AM

The type of tire tread and the condition of tire wear can have a significant influence on perceived vibration.

Title: Re: Tiger 800XC Vibration
Post by: NORTY on July 02, 2018, 02:05:05 AM
HOLY thread resurrection, Batman!  :150:

Is this the notorious "front end bounce" or engine RPM vibration we're talking about?
Title: Re: Tiger 800XC Vibration
Post by: prenticemarie on July 02, 2018, 01:35:39 PM
My experience with my 2013 Roadie was that the Throttle Balancing must be 100% spot on for a really smooth ride, or there will be vibes. MuddySump spent a while curing my vibes this way ... Wish he was back in harness  :031:
Title: Re: Tiger 800XC Vibration
Post by: knocky on July 02, 2018, 07:07:32 PM
Engine vibration at 4000 rpm to 6500 rpm. New tyres new handlebar season Andy risers. Just bike is not happy.

Went back to the dealer today after there repairs no coolant in it. No idea how that happened only bought the second bike from a dealer 50ish days ago. So i have no idea how long I have been running it with coolant. Deal thinks it might be midfireing and catching up with it self causing a vibration
Title: Re: Tiger 800XC Vibration
Post by: chuckxc on July 03, 2018, 12:42:27 AM
    :435: 
Do I understand your post correctly...are you saying you have been running with no coolant?

 :005:
 
Title: Re: Tiger 800XC Vibration
Post by: Admin on July 03, 2018, 09:04:30 AM
My experience with my 2013 Roadie was that the Throttle Balancing must be 100% spot on for a really smooth ride, or there will be vibes.

Could well be correct as new bikes from that time never seemed to have vibe problems, it's something that occasionally appeared slowly over time.
Title: Re: Tiger 800XC Vibration
Post by: knocky on August 20, 2018, 09:07:28 PM
*Originally Posted by knocky [+]
Engine vibration at 4000 rpm to 6500 rpm. New tyres new handlebar season Andy risers. Just bike is not happy.

Went back to the dealer today after there repairs no coolant in it. No idea how that happened only bought the second bike from a dealer 50ish days ago. So i have no idea how long I have been running it with coolant. Deal thinks it might be midfireing and catching up with it self causing a vibration

ok so i was clearly half pissed writing this.


Bike had lost a little coolant and dealer was giving the wooh and haaa treatment. my tiger is a viby we sh*t. i have test ridden another tiger and i felt the same vibs its just me
Title: Re: Tiger 800XC Vibration
Post by: knocky on August 20, 2018, 09:09:20 PM
*Originally Posted by prenticemarie [+]
My experience with my 2013 Roadie was that the Throttle Balancing must be 100% spot on for a really smooth ride, or there will be vibes. MuddySump spent a while curing my vibes this way ... Wish he was back in harness  :031:

I feel its the same for me now. ended up doing a 750 mile trip and the vibs got better the second day and gone the 3rd. then i dropped the bike like a fool and they came back.