Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Compressor horn on my Tiger 800  (Read 10364 times)

Offline stef99

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800
Compressor horn on my Tiger 800
« on: July 03, 2015, 02:44:19 PM »
Too many people  drive around more focused on their mobile phones than on the traffic. Sometimes you need to wake them up and then you need a more powerful horn than the original one.
I found the Stebel Nautilus and bought one to see if it could be fit on my 2012 Triumph Tiger 800 equipped with Triumph engine bars.

This picture shows that the horn fits nicely inside the bars. No modifications needed to the bike. So, what is needed to do the installation?
First the mechanical parts.

The horn has a mounting lug on the rear side. To mount it on that I took a piece of flat aluminium, bent it and shaped it so it would fit a tube in the frame.
The hole is slightly offset to fit the hole in the lug. As you can see I used a hose clamp to clamp it to the bar.

I then also had to shape a piece to fit from the bottom of the compressor to a tube in the engine bar

I made a hole in it so I could be tied to the bar with a cable tie. I used another hose- clamp to clamp it to the lower part of the compressor unit.
Thats all bout the mechanical construction. This way it can be removed without leaving any trace.

Then the electrical installation. The horn draws about 18 Amps and that is way more than the original horn. It needs to be fed via a relay and that relay comes with the horn.
You basically have to get a wire from battery positive via the relay to the positive terminal on the horn. Another wire directly from the negative terminal on the horn to the negative terminal on the battery and then finally two wires to power the relay itself. I powered it from the original horn by connecting it in parallell (one cable from each of the connectors on the original horn)

I removed the tank (see elsewhere how to do that...) and also the cover to the engine switch (you have to bend the plastic a little). Thereunder I could tie the relay to a bar in the frame with a cable tie with the terminals facing backwards. Here is how the relay is installed.

When removing the tank you also remove the plastice protecting the original horn. The electrical connections to the horn are two normal flat lugs. The horn has positive voltage (switched by the engine switch) on onte terminal. The other terminal is grounded via the signal button. Take one cable from each of those terminals to the 85 and 86 on the relay.

Finally I used some black spray paint on the horn and mounting details to make it look better.
That should be about it. The horn sounds wonderful but use hearing protection when you try it in the garage...

Offline Dadlington

• Tiger Member
Re: Compressor horn on my Tiger 800
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 09:58:45 AM »
Great write up - thanks....

Offline Psychopasta

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 07:28:01 PM »
Great write up, and I love how you have kept the original and added the Stebel to it. SWMotect do a neat mounting plate for their Denali Soundbomb, which looks like it is a Stebel Nautilus rebranded. Sadly, their mounting plate does not work if you have the factory engine bars installed http://www.twistedthrottle.com/denali-horn-mount-to-fit-denali-soundbomb-air-horn-for-the-triumph-tiger-800-800xc-10-14. I'm going to try to crank out some mounts like you showed: thanks!

-Pasta

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 05:34:39 AM »
I installed/fited the Denali SoundBomb using the Twisted Throttle bracket. My bike has the Triumph engine guards and after some wiggling to find the right angle it fit. I also used the wiring harness sold by Twisted Throttle. There is another version, it has the compressor separate from the horn part. This allows you to place the horn in the same location as the original. Too bad it wasn't available when I bought my set up. Twistedthrottle.com

Chico
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 05:44:24 AM by chico »

Offline grin factor

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Blue Tiger 800
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 09:21:31 AM »
I'm all for loud horns, but sometimes the horn can be a tad too late.  One reason I'm more for loud exhausts, hopefully the blind bats in their cars will hear you coming!
The less you give a hoot, the happier you'll be.

Offline Mr NSB

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: XRt
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 09:37:03 AM »
I had one of these fitted to my previous bike (zx9) and hid it on top of the gearbox so right in the middle of the bike. It was plenty loud enough there as well.

I'm going to be fitting one to my Tiger as well and as mine doesn't have engine bars is there a company who supply a fitting bracket?

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 01:26:25 PM »
Read Psychopasta's posting above. :150:

Chico

Offline viince

• Tiger Master
  • what if the hokey cokey is what it's all about
  • Bike: tiger 800
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 02:26:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by chico [+]
I installed/fited the Denali SoundBomb using the Twisted Throttle bracket. My bike has the Triumph engine guards and after some wiggling to find the right angle it fit. I also used the wiring harness sold by Twisted Throttle. There is another version, it has the compressor separate from the horn part. This allows you to place the horn in the same location as the original. Too bad it wasn't available when I bought my set up. Twistedthrottle.com

Chico

I've just ordered one  :028:
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/mandpdirect/_i.html?_nkw=Denali+Split+Soundbomb+120+dB+Motorcycle+Horn&submit=Search&_sid=1005410257
will let you know how I get on
going to make my own brackets

cheers vince
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 02:29:28 PM by viince »

Offline Psychopasta

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 07:45:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by chico [+]

Chico

Cool!  :031: Thanks for letting me know. I kind of thought there must be enough room, but when the maker says it doesn't fit, I don't usually argue  :001:

-Pasta

Offline viince

• Tiger Master
  • what if the hokey cokey is what it's all about
  • Bike: tiger 800
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 10:06:14 PM »

Recent Topics