Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Adding Blood Bike Insurance  (Read 1694 times)

Offline Wullie

• Tiger Master
  • Triumph Trophy TR6 (1969) Triumph Tiger 800 XCX
Adding Blood Bike Insurance
« on: March 17, 2020, 03:49:53 PM »
Hello All

Looking for advice on adding Blood Bike cover to my insurance which is up for renewal.

I have recently added panniers to my bike and can now carry samples for Norfolk Blood Bikes.  We are beginning to cover daytime movements to help out the microbiology labs in Norfolk who are a bit busy at the moment for obvious reasons.

All our blood deliveries are done using liveried NBB bikes but we can use our own for samples.

My current insurer Carol Nash quoted 245 renewal which covers both my bikes (Xcx and 1969 Trophy).  However when I told them I wanted to add BB cover this went up to well over 500 which I will not pay.

Bennetts couldn't contact the underwriters (no idea why) and said try again at the end of next week!

Does anyone have experience of this problem and how I might solve it?  Most of my work has been cancelled for the foreseeable future (musician) so I have time on my hands and want to help but our dysfunctional insurance industry is effectively blocking me.  Help please!   :440:

Sorry for the rambling post but I am frustrated.   :157:

Wullie 

Offline Grumps

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2018 800 Xca
Re: Adding Blood Bike Insurance
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 04:21:29 PM »
I'm no expert but as it's not for commercial gain could it be classed as 'social'?
2018 Xca.  Suzuki GT380. Yamaha Xmax

If money can't buy happiness - explain motorbikes and beer

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 04:29:01 PM »
I thought the blood bikes arranged the insurance for their riders/drivers?

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Offline Wullie

• Tiger Master
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 04:45:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rtwo [+]
I thought the blood bikes arranged the insurance for their riders/drivers?

Thats true when were using the liveried bikes and cars.  This is for when we use our own vehicles. I told my car insurance provider and they said fine, no problem.

Social use doesnt cover it apparently.

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 06:05:32 PM »
Even though this is charity / non gain Insurance just sees increased risk, hence the increase. You might get a better quote from Bennetts but I suspect somewhere in-between your original quote and CN
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline Fazer

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRt
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 06:45:19 PM »
Im a rider with Northumbria Blood Bikes although we only ever use the charitys bikes and never our own. We also insist on riders having an Advanced Riding qualification such as IAM or ROSPA. I did my advanced riding with IAM and have stayed a member which allows me to use the IAM Surety insurance scheme. That insurance automatically covers riders who use their own bikes as IAM Observers. When I mentioned to IAM Surety that I am a Blood Biker I was told that I am also automatically covered to use my bike for that as well. Might be worth a look if youre an IAM member.

Offline Wullie

• Tiger Master
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 07:17:30 PM »
Thanks Fazer thats a good idea. I am IAM (same requirement for Norfolk BB) so Ill give them a ring tomorrow.

:031:

Wullie

Offline Fazer

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XRt
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 07:49:34 PM »
I have had my bike insurance with IAM Surety for a number of years because they always match the best price I have found elsewhere for like-for-like cover. Dont be shy to tell them the best price youve had elsewhere if their first price is high. They may want proof of your best price and Ive sometimes set up a temporary password on an online site then given it to them so they can see that my best price is real.

Good luck. Hope you get sorted so you can support Norfolk Blood Bikes in their efforts to help deal with the effects of the Coronavirus.

Offline GeoffS

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: XC - Green/Black
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 08:12:06 PM »
Good luck Alex
Makes you wonder how our insurers minds work when they think its OK to increase the premium when you let them know what you are intending to do...., and why.
Stay safe matey.
Geoff

Offline Bikertone7

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Road
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2020, 09:15:15 PM »
I'm a Bloodbiker with North West Lancs and Lakes insured with Carol Nash. I always use my own bike and when I told them a couple of years ago they entered it on their records and didn't charge me any more as far as I'm aware.
Other Bikes: 1968 Triumph TR6 650cc (american export model), 1991 Transalp XL600V (everyday runabout), 1979 Kawasaki KL250 Trail Bike project.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch