Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Original Luke Warm Grips  (Read 1211 times)

Offline Flyingbanana

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800,SV1000
Original Luke Warm Grips
« on: March 24, 2020, 12:41:30 PM »
The 2013 Tiger 800 i bought has to have the worlds weakest heated grips. Is there a way to turn them up just incase previous owner was hot blooded. I have oxford heated grips on my CBR & they are toastie
'' Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art ''

Online Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
Re: Original Luke Warm Grips
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 01:03:22 PM »
They are beyond help
just replace with Oxfords
The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Offline Flyingbanana

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800,SV1000
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 01:08:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rtwo [+]
They are beyond help
just replace with Oxfords
Hi & thanks for reply

'' Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art ''

Offline antmakka

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 10:38:49 PM »
The heated grips on my 2011 XC were great back in the day, but the last couple of years they can't muster much more than a slight warmth.  I'll probably fit some after market replacements as it will be cheaper than oem ones.
It will be interesting to know if anyone knows of a fix.  Maybe something that can be replaced that is wearing out.
People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than a biker.
̶H̶O̶N̶D̶A̶ ̶C̶B̶R̶ ̶4̶0̶0̶ ̶H̶u̶r̶r̶i̶c̶a̶n̶e̶,̶ ̶K̶A̶W̶A̶S̶A̶K̶I̶ ̶Z̶X̶-̶6̶R̶,̶ ̶T̶R̶I̶U̶M̶P̶H̶ ̶S̶p̶e̶e̶d̶ ̶T̶r̶i̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶1̶0̶5̶0̶,̶ ̶T̶R̶I̶U̶M̶P̶H̶ ̶T̶i̶g̶e̶r̶ ̶1̶0̶5̶0̶

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 08:42:30 AM »
*Originally Posted by antmakka [+]
The heated grips on my 2011 XC were great back in the day, but the last couple of years they can't muster much more than a slight warmth.  I'll probably fit some after market replacements as it will be cheaper than oem ones.
It will be interesting to know if anyone knows of a fix.  Maybe something that can be replaced that is wearing out.
Not a chance. The elements are embedded. I took photos a while back when replacing mine with Oxfords
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline Guyver

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 03:23:50 PM »
I bought some heating elements years ago for my ZRX1100. They just glued onto the bars and your original grips slid over the top. To be honest they were way to hot on the high setting. Wonder if you could fit those under the heated grips and connect into the loom that way?

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2015XC
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 12:24:13 PM »
There is a cheap and very effective option that I fitted.

You can buy cheap elements that are set into transparent tape which are typically fitted to dirt bikes.

The wiring is via a simple 2 position switch, low heat is via a resistor which is pretty much a waste of time but the high heat is very effective.
However the trick is to stick and tape the elements onto the 'outside' of the standard rubber grip then install new foam grips over that. I used a product called Rippa Grips. They are way more comfortable than just the standard grips anyway.

So the benefit of doing it this way is that the element is only just under the outer foam grip, there is no heat lost into the bar.
Overall cost was around $60 for the elements and say $20 for the Rippa grips which are a investment in comfort anyway. It only draws around .3 of a volt, eg if you normally run around 14.1 0r 14.2 it will run around high 13.9 / 13.8 volts.

Took a while to route all the wiring and cut and re solder to get rid of the excess wiring etc. but I chose to mount the switch near the  display rather than up on the bars. Bar mounted switch would have been way easier installation.

So low heat is pretty much ineffective but high is very toasty.... no heat loss and the foam grip does not act as a barrier.

Online grizzlybear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: tiger 800Xr
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 01:09:45 PM »
They are sh*t, I have fitted oxford grips on my 2018Xr,so much better than the Triumph ones on my 2013
Safe Riding
Dave( Grizzlybear) honda 125T,  Z650C2, GPZ750, GTR1000, VX800, VN1500 ,2013 tiger800,2018 Tiger800Xr, CG125 and loads of C90`s  :)

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2020, 06:46:38 PM »
It seems many of us have different experiences of the OEM heated grips, the ones on my 2015 XRx are working fine at 30k miles. On other bikes, I have used the R&G heated grips and would continue to do so if necessary.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline Tiggerton

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: XRT 2018
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2020, 10:46:53 PM »
Triumph grips probably won't ruin your gloves. Excessive heat not good for leather.

Honda 90 c200, Norton Dominator 99, Triumph (Saint) T110, Triumph 750 T140 ES, Triumph Bantam Cub, Triumph Tiger Cub, BSA 650 Golden Flash, Honda CBF 1000, Triumph Sprint GT, Tiger 800 XrX low. 2018 Tiger 800 XRT.

Recent Topics