Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Horn low noise  (Read 1380 times)

Offline Flyingbanana

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800,SV1000
Horn low noise
« on: April 20, 2020, 01:34:29 PM »
Fitted full size Heed bars to the 800 ABS 2013 model & now the horn gives no noise. It is all because the Heed bars are squashing the front plastic beak under the headlights which houses the horn.
Has anyone fitted these Heed bars & managed to get horn to work without moving it elsewhere
If it has to be re-homed where have others put theirs ?

I have slackened the bars to get a muffled noise but with some of the tin boxed mobile phone using idiots awake out there i need the horn  :430:
alan
'' Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art ''

Offline ColinXCX

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Tiger XCX
Re: Horn low noise
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 01:54:59 PM »
I got one of theses https://www.rg-racing.com/browseBike/Yamaha/MT-07_(FZ-07)/2015/DENTTSB10200B
Works great on mine, I used the original horn wires without any problems. Mount it wherever you like, and its loud so you will be heard.

Online Londonglide

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: xc
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 04:13:18 PM »
My Heeds don't interfere with the horn. Pics are helpful

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 03:15:52 AM »
*Originally Posted by Flyingbanana [+]
Fitted full size Heed bars to the 800 ABS 2013 model & now the horn gives no noise. It is all because the Heed bars are squashing the front plastic beak under the headlights which houses the horn.

If your Heed bars are squashing against the beak then either the beak or the bars are incorrectly fitted.

Offline Flyingbanana

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 01:39:32 PM »
Attached are some pics. I cannot see how else i would fit the Heed bars.
Pic 2 is from the underside of the beak. The Heed bars link at the front of the bike under the beak with a joining bar/plate & then you fit a ' U' shaped clamp over the top of the headlight cluster bar & that holds this bracket up with a couple of nuts either side of the headlight bar  but as i tighten these up they clearly raise the Heed front joining bar/plate which in turn tightens up on the beak therefore squashing against the horn

I have backed them off but if i loosen them one more turn they then become too loose in my fingers

I am sure the Heed bars will go no where as they have at least 2,3 or 4 bolts into the side of the bike starting at the bottom then main frame & then this front bar/plate which boin the 2 sides up. Shen the ' u' shaped bracket did not have a couple more mm of thread

thanks in advance for any help

alan
'' Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art ''

Online Londonglide

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 01:56:24 PM »
Are you sure the "T" bracket doesn't mount behind the tabs for the bars themselves? putting the tang against the headstock.

I have just found my instructions from Heed, and they aren't very clear..
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 02:00:07 PM by Londonglide »

Offline Flyingbanana

• Tiger Member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 02:08:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by Londonglide [+]
Are you sure the "T" bracket doesn't mount behind the tabs for the bars themselves? putting the tang against the headstock.

I have just found my instructions from Heed, and they aren't very clear..

Thanks for the very quick reply. I think i know what you mean. The 'destructions' from Heed are a little poor. Please see my pic 'Horn3' So take the bracket that i have arrows 'red' & move it to the position i have arrowed 'green' which in turn would move the bar/plate back where the beak is not as low

alan

Online Londonglide

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 02:39:17 PM »
Yep, worth a try

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2020, 01:43:59 AM »
Attached are some pics. I cannot see how else i would fit the Heed bars.

So you have the Roadie beak not the XC beak.
The Roadie beak is closed in on the underside so it sits lower than the XC version which is open underneath. The open beak obviously also allows more room for noise to escape as well.
Heed originally offered two sorts of crash bars both with different joining methods with the Roadie version from memory there was just a flat bar that came down from the headlight bracket and the two sides of the crash bars sandwiched that flat bar between them and joined under the centre of the beak. Maybe it sat a little lower than the XC style bar you have which does offer more clearance for suspension travel.
I think there are three options.
1. Fit a XC beak
2. Relocate the horn
3. See if Heed will swap the bars to the older Roadie style.

Option 1 you may not want to do and option 3 may not be possible as I think Heed now only make the one bar style.
I wanted a loader horn anyway so I simply left the existing horn in place and installed a Denali mini sound bomb on the left side with some extended wires. To get the OEM horn working again I just need to plug the original wires back into it.

Offline Sputnik

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2020, 11:01:15 AM »
Thanks for the very quick reply. I think i know what you mean. The 'destructions' from Heed are a little poor. Please see my pic 'Horn3' So take the bracket that i have arrows 'red' & move it to the position i have arrowed 'green' which in turn would move the bar/plate back where the beak is not as low

alan

I did exactly the same thing when fitting mine and either got no sound or a slightly comical duck-fart noise from the horn.

The main bars that run round the side of the bike should connect to the front, rather than to the rear of the bar that runs under the beak. As far as I recall you just need to loosen all the bolts and manhandle the bars into the correct position, rather than actually removing or changing anything, but I can't recall for sure.

Recent Topics