Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger XRX front brake feel  (Read 1936 times)

Offline hoggyf

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800 roadie
Tiger XRX front brake feel
« on: May 17, 2020, 11:52:55 AM »
Due to covid and not riding much, last week was the first time out for a bit and it reminded that the front brakes seem poor, mines a 16 plate with 8k on it and serviced at 6k by main dealer last May so not expecting any major issues but I tend to ride with only one or two fingers on the front brake (comes from trials riding) and find that it just doesn't slow as much as I'd like when doing so, i really need  a good pull on the elver with all 4 fingers to slow it down. My old 11 plate tiger was the same I recall, always felt a bit under braked.
Is there another master cylinder that would improve it? Street triple or something like that? Different pads? Or do I just put up with it?

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
Re: Tiger XRX front brake feel
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 12:28:18 PM »
Search is your friend.
As an initial thought try tying back your lever over night and see the difference in the morning
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 01:01:04 PM »
Four year old bike. First thing I would do would be a brake fluid change (both front and rear).

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 06:06:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by hoggyf [+]
...front brakes seem poor
Different pads?
Or do I just put up with it?
There are different brake pad compositions that have different rates of effectiveness -- you may find pads more suitable to your needs?
Brake pads both wear & age: simple caliper designs sometimes allow pads to wear tapered and pad compounds/formulations gas-off lighter-end of their composition - usually getting harder / less effective.
But, probably not good to "just put up with it"?
Everyone needs brakes that they know and trust -- your life may depend on it.
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Offline rantanplan

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: XC 800 2018
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 07:06:54 PM »
Also have the caliper pistons -(rubber seals - gaskets) ever been cleaned ???  :084:
 in my other bike, i did a maintenance with new rubber seals, fluid, and piston cleaning, and the difference was noticeable !!!!

Offline Rtwo

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 08:07:53 PM »
Well I got back on a Tiger for the first time in about two years today, the front brake is just how I remember it, wooden  :001:
The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
....George Orwell

Check the Facts !!

Offline posty

• Tiger Member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 07:20:36 PM »
Hi- Cant remember the name of it, something like brake caliper tool but I bought a tool on Ebay which is likie a sort of reverse pliers which ratchet and grip the internals of the brake pistons - this enables you to turn them and clean the outside surface - pop some copper grease on there afterwards and you should have a smooth acting piston.
I also thought the fr brakes werent that great when I bought my 2016 XRX last year and changed pads to EBC HH - big improvement so changed the rears too.

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2020, 05:53:24 AM »
The commended lubricant for the caliper pistons and seals is brake fluid.

Chico

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2020, 09:51:35 AM »
Don't use copper slip or other anti-seize copper on the pistons. Will feck the seals up. Wash the pistons as part of your cleaning, pump out a little further than the actual usage section and ensure clean, then push back with a light smear of red rubber grease which will lubricate the 1st seal. Other greases will cause the seal to swell allowing crap past it to your fluid seal behind it.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2015XC
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2020, 01:17:59 PM »
+1 on KildareMan.

The only other thing I did was to use 90deg angled circlip pliers, placed a few pieces of chunky rubber inside the piston and used the pliers to gently rotate the pistons.
As well as cleaning and rubber grease... etc

Was REALLY surprised how hard it was to rotate the calipers so that has to be an obvious point of resistance right there, and it is a service requirement I believe.

FWIW I also fitted sintered brake pads and whilst non frequent stops (cold pad stops) are the same as standard, if you are in the twisties, they are warm and your having fun then there is a noticeable difference.

Fully intend to go back and pull down the calipers and clean everything properly, lube and put back together.. will be interesting if I gain feel and power.

My personal test is how hard do I have to pull the lever to get that suspension dive, like when you are stopping.. boom, that spot dead stop. I never had it until I did the clean and swap.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch