in: T800XC
Tetons 2011 1

Views: 157
Posted by: mattsl
in: mattsl

Views: 548
Posted by: GIDEON
in: Gideon

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: My results from changing front sprocket to 17T strret tiger  (Read 6936 times)

Offline iddy

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 roadie
I just changed the front sprocket on my street tiger to a 17T and thought somebody might want my results. In 6th gear it dropped the rpm down about 500 rpm and in 1st gear it still seems just as easy to take off. I bought a sprocket for a gsx 750/dl650 there both suppose to have 525 chains and you can get 17t.I may go and buy the factory sprocket cause my JT I got has no rubber on the sprocket. Was a straight fit no problems. I believe this is the way I'm going. I think it's a big improvement at 80 I'm doing 5500 and 70 It's doing 5000 rpm. I don't think i'm going to try a 47t rear sprocket but might try a 49 or 48 but pretty happy with this results now around town you can use some of the other gears and not look for a 7th. I got some really good information from a website for gearing that has the information for the gear on a tiger800 from here http://www.gearingcommander.com/  Also since I have abs there is no effect to speedometer.

Offline GearHd6

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 98 T595
Re: My results from changing front sprocket to 17T strret tiger
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 12:20:57 AM »
I'm not sure what the stock sprocket size is but it sounds like you went with a higher gear ratio? I think I'd rather go with a lower ratio so you didn't have to ride the clutch quite so much to get going. There seems to be a lack of torque down low and I think it would benefit from a lower ratio.

Do you have an ABS model? Does that change have any effect on the speedometer?
2015 Tiger XCx
1998 Daytona T595

Offline Jim Shorts

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 04:24:51 AM »
I've never hunted for a 7th gear. Your review seems to opinion anything over 6k rpms is bad and undesirable? IMO, no so if the motor is comfortable and within it's normal power-band. I have no issues with the stock gearing and dropping the rpms that low at 80 mph? Seriously .. why? The bike will have to work harder (more fuel) to keep it's speed unless you work harder and drop a gear.

Offline tigertom

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC ABS
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 06:06:29 AM »
Let us know what effect the gearing change has on your fuel mileage - I'm guessing it will improve.

Tom

*Originally Posted by iddy [+]
I just changed the front sprocket on my street tiger to a 17T and thought somebody might want my results. In 6th gear it dropped the rpm down about 500 rpm and in 1st gear it still seems just as easy to take off. I bought a sprocket for a gsx 750/dl650 there both suppose to have 525 chains and you can get 17t.I may go and buy the factory sprocket cause my JT I got has no rubber on the sprocket. Was a straight fit no problems. I believe this is the way I'm going. I think it's a big improvement at 80 I'm doing 5500 and 70 It's doing 5000 rpm. I don't think i'm going to try a 47t rear sprocket but might try a 49 or 48 but pretty happy with this results now around town you can use some of the other gears and not look for a 7th. I got some really good information from a website for gearing that has the information for the gear on a tiger800 from here http://www.gearingcommander.com/  Also since I have abs there is no effect to speedometer.

Offline DirtFreak

• Tiger Master
  • Motorcycle Addict
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 03:26:29 PM »
I dropped to a 15th front. I think Triumph should have done this for the XC from the factory. I only lost 4mph at the same rpm. The speedo is closer to true speed by 1-2mph.
Tarmac ruins perfectly good roads.

Offline CarlS

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Tiger 800 XC
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 12:33:56 PM »
I went with a higher gear ratio a long time ago with my Bonnie because of the distance riding I do.  It helped the fuel mileage and the engine does not work as hard at 75 - 85 mph, my normal cruising speeds on limited access highways.  However, the Tiger's engine is made to rev higher than a parallel twin.  I am considering going the other way and lower the ratio on my Tiger XC.  I will play with it a while longer with the stock sprockets before I make any changes. So far, I am of the opinion that Triumph got the stock gearing close to the optimum for all around riding.
CarlS
Old Soldier

'12 Tiger 800XC / '03 Bonneville T100 / 03 Bonneville T100 w/sidecar/ '68 Triumph Trophy TR6R / '71 Triumph Tiger TR6R (project)

Offline blacktiger

• Tiger Jedi
  • Tiger800XC owner since June 6th 2011
  • Bike: Tiger955i&800XC
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 03:28:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by GearHd6 [+]
I'm not sure what the stock sprocket size is but it sounds like you went with a higher gear ratio? I think I'd rather go with a lower ratio so you didn't have to ride the clutch quite so much to get going. There seems to be a lack of torque down low and I think it would benefit from a lower ratio.

Don't know what you're doing with yours but this engine is capable of puling from 8mph with the clutch fully home. I can pull away at tickover without touching the throttle at all. No, it's not a T595 in the torque stakes but the EFI is better and can compensate for load at low rpms. Try riding up a slope at tickover with your hand off the throttle. It's quite an eye opener.
Black '13 Tiger800XC. The other British Land Rover. 19000 miles and counting.
Black '02 Tiger955i, 72K and counting.

Offline GearHd6

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 98 T595
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 10:57:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by blacktiger [+]
Don't know what you're doing with yours but this engine is capable of puling from 8mph with the clutch fully home. I can pull away at tickover without touching the throttle at all. No, it's not a T595 in the torque stakes but the EFI is better and can compensate for load at low rpms. Try riding up a slope at tickover with your hand off the throttle. It's quite an eye opener.

I agree, it's fine ON road but get into the technical stuff OFF road and you'll find it's clutch slipping time. For me, a smaller front sprocket wouldn't be a bad thing seeing the bike has plenty of top end for its purpose. If I want to go 150mph I'll take out the T595, LOL.
2015 Tiger XCx
1998 Daytona T595

Offline iddy

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 roadie
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 02:03:14 AM »
I've gotten about 200 miles on the 17t now and I feel it's working a treat for me. But I'm just about all street and mostly highway and in California that's at least 75 mph. By my calculations dropping the RPM by about 500 rpm I'll save my self 30,000 revolutions a hour or 3million in 100,000 miles and I would like this bike to last. From a standing start I really can't tell any difference in my take off and I like to let the clutch out with as little amount of throttle as possible I can almost let out the clutch with no throttle. You guy's on XC I can completely understand why you would want no part of a 17T but I thought the street guys might be interested. I don't think I'm going back.

Offline dis36

• Tiger Cub
  • ride it !
  • Bike: tiger 800
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 11:59:11 PM »
Funny you put this up ive just returned from a long trip and was thinking just the same , ie the revs could do with dropping a bit at touring speed...
Bikes Tiger 800 , Daytona 955i , suzuki XF650 , NVT Tracker125 (wreck !)

Recent Topics